Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

• 8 months later...
1 minute ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Sorry to bump this but is anyone aware of Bachmann doing further liveries?

I doubt anyone will know before they announce it. I am still hopeful of a Northern one although not in a massive rush given the financial pressures of all the other stuff coming in!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I doubt anyone will know before they announce it. I am still hopeful of a Northern one although not in a massive rush given the financial pressures of all the other stuff coming in!

I’ll say a 100% yes… there was a recent leak, including an image of one that is to come.. so my guess is its really not far away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’ll say a 100% yes… there was a recent leak, including an image of one that is to come.. so my guess is its really not far away.

If they are far away, are they N gauge?

• Funny 5

46 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Well if theres one, then there will be more.

Likewise if it's anything like the 90 they will make sure 90% of the market (or maybe 158%?) for the unit will have something to buy!

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

So Northern (as expected really).
Care to share more?

I also contacted Bachmann who said they've added the suggestion to a database, which is periodically looked at by Development teams.
My guess is they'll produce new liveries and let the older tooling liveries live on as "they're good enough".

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• 1 month later...

Kernow have announced an exclusive edition of the 159 in South Western Railway livery, priced at £460 and £560 for DCC ready and sound fitted versions respectively. 

Pricey, but a gorgeous model nevertheless. 

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/237/KMRC-announce-Exclusive-Bachmann-00-Gauge-Class-159-3-Car-DMU-159-016-in-South-Western-Railway-livery

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Kernow have announced an exclusive edition of the 159 in South Western Railway livery, priced at £460 and £560 for DCC ready and sound fitted versions respectively. 

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/237/KMRC-announce-Exclusive-Bachmann-00-Gauge-Class-159-3-Car-DMU-159-016-in-South-Western-Railway-livery

Finally, Thats been the longest kept open secret…. Alluded to in above posts.

I think the 159 pictures were circulating back in April from the Kernow anniversary event,

There was also an image of the Grafar 158 and Scotrail artwork, but the artwork had a 00 catalog number.

I should point out catalog numbers 31-497, 499 havent been revealed yet as far as Ive seen.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, JackB95 said:

I have a Bachmann 159 with sound. It is an absolutely stunning model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I came here to see if there was any noise about the recent Kernow Announcement. Not one to usually jump up and down about the price but this seems somewhat excessive given you could have an Accurascale sound fitted Class 92 and two Rapido Dynanometer cars. Granted apples to oranges but just feels like a shock when I’m ok with £300 locos / Realtrack 156’s.

They are clearly a high quality model and I do hope for Kernow’s sake they sell. I’m going to now have a good read back through this thread to see what others make of them.

Edited by E100
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, E100 said:

Not one to usually jump up and down about the price but this seems somewhat excessive given you could have an Accurascale sound fitted Class 92 and two Rapido Dynanometer cars.

I saw that price and thought "they'll hang around". I do think your comparison is reasonable, them Dyno cars are very well made coaches. Most of these comparisons are "DMU should be same price as a loco plus 2 ordinary cheap coaches", you picked high spec examples which is the level Bachmann DMUs tend to sit.

Bachmann do tend to be dearer than AS and Rapido though, and with this being an exclusive, no discount.

Does make me shudder to think what a newly tooled 221 from them would cost though....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I think maybe a more apples to apples comparison would be the recent 6 coach western Pullman with an extra sound decoder for ~£200 more RRP. 

Nevertheless, I’ll look to take a good look next Saturday to see what they are like in person, presuming at least one is running around. 

They have always just been under the radar for me as a high quality model.

7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I saw that price and thought "they'll hang around". I do think your comparison is reasonable, them Dyno cars are very well made coaches. Most of these comparisons are "DMU should be same price as a loco plus 2 ordinary cheap coaches", you picked high spec examples which is the level Bachmann DMUs tend to sit.

Bachmann do tend to be dearer than AS and Rapido though, and with this being an exclusive, no discount.

Does make me shudder to think what a newly tooled 221 from them would cost though....

Yeah, completely agree. The comparisons can be laughable and saying this is £200 model aren’t realistic in 2022 but say £350-£400 DCC ready for the 3 car is to me based on recent precedent even from Bachmann.

To fair to them thank goodness Bachmann are doing this highly sought after livery though as the decoration is usually spot on.

Edited by E100
  • Like 1

The people that really want it will pay it - the production run is likely to be a maximum of 512 so it's pretty exclusive. There's a similar situation with the reissued S stock Underground set for the LT Museum.

Times are tough but has it really been so different through the ages? The Hornby O Gauge Princess was 5 Guineas when offered in 1937, in reality only accessible to a very small number of people at that price at that time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, E100 said:

To fair to them thank goodness Bachmann are doing this highly sought after livery though as the decoration is usually spot on.

Yeah, it will be worth it to those who really really want it.

2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The people that really want it will pay it - the production run is likely to be a maximum of 512 so it's pretty exclusive.

Yeah, I expect so. I don't know the size of the market to be honest, as in will 512 people really want it?

I have bleated on about wanting a 3 car present day Northern one for ages, but if it was this money I'd have to have a good think about it. 15% off that price (if it was in main range) is more pallatable as it makes it sub £400 which is a massive psychological factor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I want 2x SWR class 159’s they run close by hourly at least to me.

I have the previous (old tooling) SWT class 159, bought for £100.

i also have the latest NSE 3 car 159, which I decided was an era too far away, so ive been trying to sell it all summer for a princely £220 (rrp £399), with no interest at all, and retailers all over still have them.

£450 for a 3 car .. bit too rich for me, let alone £900 on two. 
unfortunately i’m reaching the ceiling on what i’ll spend. The class 104 has passed my threshold too… so the 6 I planned (i budgeted £1500 for a mix of 2 & 3 cars) instead turned to 0.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i also have the latest NSE 3 car 159, which I decided was an era too far away, so ive been trying to sell it all summer for a princely £220 (rrp £399), with no interest at all, and retailers all over still have them.

unfortunately i’m reaching the ceiling on what i’ll spend. The class 104 has passed my threshold too… so the 6 I planned (i budgeted £1500 for a mix of 2 & 3 cars) instead turned to 0.

Here I am bucking the trend again. Like everyone else, I waited ages for Bachmann’s 158 and I had gone off the boil a bit when it finally appeared, mostly due to the price and already having a 158. However, the sound-fitted NSE 159 caught my eye and ear. It is undeniably expensive but I have found it to be breathtaking in performance, appearance and features. There aren’t many new models I’ll say that about. Tastes differ.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

It is undeniably expensive but I have found it to be breathtaking in performance, appearance and features.

I don't have one but they look right bits of kit. I'd have 2 or 3 2 car new 158s if I was into modelling my second choice era which is just before privatisation (i.e. what I saw when I was a kid). It's just they can't sell them to me if they aren't the ones I want!

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Yeah I've noticed the NSE one can be picked up for not too bad a price second hand. They are nice models and it will be interesting to see if the SWR version sells. 

On 21/11/2022 at 18:23, adb968008 said:

so have the latest NSE 3 car 159, which I decided was an era too far away, so ive been trying to sell it all summer for a princely £220 (rrp £399), with no interest at all, and retailers all over still have them.

If I didn't already have two I might be interested at that price! 

Conversely SWR too modern for me so I'm clear with this release, as nice as it looks. But it does worry me for if/when we ever see original SWT again that it will be over the £500 mark.

It's a shame Bachmann aren't wheeling out the 450 again as a SWR 450 would complement this release very nicely, but again it would probably be touching £600.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

If I didn't already have two I might be interested at that price! 

Conversely SWR too modern for me so I'm clear with this release, as nice as it looks. But it does worry me for if/when we ever see original SWT again that it will be over the £500 mark.

It's a shame Bachmann aren't wheeling out the 450 again as a SWR 450 would complement this release very nicely, but again it would probably be touching £600.

The thought of £600 does not appeal...! It's quite scary really

• Agree 3