Formerly known as Project O 1/48th scale Switching layout - now Prime Cereals

Wakefield Railway Modellers Society are currently building a new US based layout to replace Menasha. This layout is to 1/48 th scale and is based upon the Post factory in Battle Creek Michigan. Set in the 1970s the aim is to recreate a scene rather than a copy of the actual Post complex. Baseboard construction is now in progress and a start made on planning the buildings that will create the backdrop to the stock as it's being switched around the complex.

The intended date for completion is for the November 2018 Show at Wakefield.

post-9435-0-63553700-1499235750_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-53590100-1499235763_thumb.jpg

Edited by enginelane
Amended title
  • Like 9

Aaah, the home of Grape Nuts - great choice. And O-scale too. Nov 2018, hmm..., Christmas present: 2018 calendar for the wife with my movements thoughtfully entered for her peace of mind.

Have fun

Jason

Aaah, the home of Grape Nuts - great choice. And O-scale too. Nov 2018, hmm..., Christmas present: 2018 calendar for the wife with my movements thoughtfully entered for her peace of mind.

Have fun

Jason

Also the home of Tang breakfast drink, that went on the NASA space program too.

Buzz Aldrin was later quoted as saying " Tang sucks!"

Drafted up one of the background buildings - good job I am retiring in 1 week as if this anything to go by it's going to take a chunk of time! But I have buns to help!

It looks like I will have to revise the budget to include the cost of buns ! 

A small price to pay for some big buildings.

A view of the factory building with freight cars. The baseboard is 4 ft long, the building is nearly 2 ft tall & the freight cars are approx 12 in long.

The joy of O Scale.  :)  :good:  

post-25913-0-19111400-1500545939_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

What are the dimensions for the layout,and do you have a track plan sorted that you could post for us to see?.

As i`d be interested to see what space your working with,as i`m just starting to building a street switching layout along a 12'-6" long wall with two peninsular`s off it.

Brian.

Nice scratch build project for someone, thought you'd have been further on than that, you need to channel all that enthusiasm for O gauge into the build and stop wasting hot air!!!!!! :O  :O  :onthequiet:  :no:

Ray

PS  got your magnets sorted yet??

My magnet source went bust! Received notification from Amazon money will be refunded!

What are the dimensions for the layout,and do you have a track plan sorted that you could post for us to see?.

As i`d be interested to see what space your working with,as i`m just starting to building a street switching layout along a 12'-6" long wall with two peninsular`s off it.

Brian.

Track plan is below. The layout is 20' x 2' 3 on 5 4' boards. The track at the upper right will disappear behind the building to form a connection to the rest of the plant, allowing cuts of 3 cars to enter and exit the scene.

post-3560-0-52344600-1500762451_thumb.jpg

The genesis of the idea was an article in Model Railroad Planning 2014. 

This Google maps link https://goo.gl/maps/jZF1cbJogvk should give an idea of the feel we're looking to create. Lots of large industrial buildings. 

• Like 4

shock, horror!!! no run round!!!!!

Some layouts don't need run rounds! (I must have been subconsciously influenced by someone!)

It makes for more interesting operation.

(The fiddle yard is inside the building at the right-hand side.)

Edited by Boxcab
  • Like 1

Track plan is below. The layout is 20' x 2' 3 on 5 4' boards. The track at the upper right will disappear behind the building to form a connection to the rest of the plant, allowing cuts of 3 cars to enter and exit the scene.

attachicon.gifProject O version 14 D V 7.2.jpg

The genesis of the idea was an article in Model Railroad Planning 2014. 

This Google maps link https://goo.gl/maps/jZF1cbJogvk should give an idea of the feel we're looking to create. Lots of large industrial buildings. 

Looks like that going to be interesting to switch...are you going to use two locos on the layout at time,one to pull,one to push?.

Brian.

We have not planned to use 2 loco's as the real plant was switched by 1 loco doing all the facing spurs & then the trailing spurs. The real place is switched by road power, they didn't have their own switcher. (At least not in the 1970's which is the period that the layout is set.)

But 2 loco's are a possible option. Wait and see.