Formerly known as Project O 1/48th scale Switching layout - now Prime Cereals

I like the way the tracks are angled, rather than parallel to the baseboard edge.

Part of the "post mortem" process of Menasha included identifying which parts had received favourable comments. One was the size of the buildings & another was that the track was at an angle to the board edge.

Also on a rectangular board the longest run is a diagonal, which equals a longer track.

Hence the large buildings & tracks running diagonally on this plan. A lot of time (& hot air, Ray!) has gone into the planning of this project, approximately 2 years up to now.

It had to be something that would be interesting to both viewers & operators, and that is not easy to achieve but we are confident that we have found that. Only time will tell if we will achieve that.

Spoiler Alert!

We have a few more " interesting" ideas planned for the project that we will be revealing in the coming months.

Stay tuned to this thread

Have you been reading my mind?

I would have to get approval from the committee for that of course!

It's all part of the master plan for O Scale to take over the World.

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.(sound of manic laughter. ) .

• Like 1

I hope one of them is very rough, 'bad' track!! :yes:

We will have some inset track.

The track is going to be all handbuilt using O Scale code 100 rail ( not HO rail! There is a difference.) This is to represent the lighter weight rail used in the plant in the 70's.

Tieplates & spikes will be used. The track is going to be one of the features of the project,one of the "interesting elements" mentioned earlier.

I have said enough about track for the moment, more information about it to follow later.

• Like 2

I found that info as well, but some of us are cheapskates!! :mosking:

Surely not....... :O

Brian.

Maybe "some of us" as in "just me", then :rolleyes: ;)

As far as I could tell, looking at Right-O-Way rails awhile back, the difference between HO & O Code 100 rails is particularly the width of the rail head, but involves a micrometer to measure the difference.

Here you go Jordan,a comparision between the two;

post-19751-0-92762400-1500922861_thumb.jpg

There is a supplier of O scale rail in this country,and i`ve delt with him a couple of times over the years both for code 100 (as above) & code 125;

http://www.karlgarin.com/index.htm

And this the PDF for rail dimensions,inc.two types of HO/OO rail for comparision;

http://www.karlgarin.com/rail_flatbottom_sizes.pdf

Brian.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of prototype photos showing the look we trying to achieve.

They were taken from a 2014 post on a Michigan Railroad History forum by an engineer who switched the plant for CN (GTW) a few years ago. Unfortunately the post no longer exists so I can't link to it.

post-3560-0-94153700-1502655552_thumb.jpg

post-3560-0-97372600-1502655599_thumb.jpg

• Like 5