Formerly known as Project O 1/48th scale Switching layout - now Prime Cereals

it is now being worked on and progress is being made, is just that Mark isnt much of an online person and having rouble getting into rmweb, though he has lamented about this thread being left for so long and wanting to get an update in

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A big thank you to Sir Douglas for reviving this thread.

Is it really 2 years since my last update!  Well I am pleased to report that Prime Cereals is alive & progressing steadily. :yahoo:

Luckily just before the clubrooms were closed for the first lockdown  I had taken home most of the parts of the layouts main buildings . This meant that I was able to work on these during lockdown. The largest building is 4ft long and 2 ft tall and has 70 windows, which are of the "glass block" style. This "glass block" style window turned out to be a very challenging & time consuming part of constructing this building. Thanks to a suggestion from Long Island Jack we ended up using something called "plastic canvas" that is used in needlework to represent the glass blocks. The plastic canvas was then covered with a frosted clear glazing after mounting in the window opening.

IMG_1193.JPG.652801616f93a7d882cebfc674610052.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG.d740ccdc80c9919d7bf4208cde4d1af0.JPG

The MDF was sprayed with textured paint to represent a concrete finish before the windows and brick panels were added.

IMG_1586.JPG.2df76426a1036b6ba5a78bbc9bbb1ba6.JPGThe Power house has very tall windows that had larger size glass blocks in them,  so the grid had to be cut to create the larger block.

IMG_1128.JPG.fc55eb069e99c961b243accb75ed6aed.JPG

The third building has two sides  with 60 windows. the brick panels were painted and then had mortar lines & were then weathered.

These 3 buildings took me almost a year to complete. Due to their large size they didn't fit on my workbench so I ended up working on the floor of the loft as it was the only place that I had sufficient room. 

You HO guys don't know how easy you have it!

More updates soon.

Mike.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• enginelane changed the title to Formerly known as Project O 1/48th scale Switching layout - now Prime Cereals
  • 3 months later...

Wow, it's been 6 months since I last updated this thread.

Just to reassure everyone, this layout is still an active project and is making good progress.

We originally planned to have a single large building, 4 ft long, at the right hand end of the layout similar to the one at the left hand end. However several factors caused us to have a change of plan.

The first was that we only had a couple of the panels laser cut for this building prior to lockdown, but not enough to complete the whole building. Second was the cost, the charges for using the laser cutter had increased, the cost & availability of the "window grid" plastic canvas was a problem post covid.

Throughout this project we have regularly reviewed as a team how & why we are doing things. The result of this was that we decided that a change to several smaller & different sized buildings would be visually & operationally more interesting as well as less expensive.

After studying Google Earth images of the Post Cereals plant, on which the layout is based, we found some suitable buildings that we could use. 

This is what we came up with.IMG_2030.JPG.0d63e5dfed41c98a7b5a94e59722d145.JPG

We have included a truck loading dock and a modern metal clad building extension and bridge  between buildings along with some inset track.IMG_2107.JPG.4b63e19e3b43ecea8b3c7b7346e4236e.JPG

The differing heights and depths make the whole scene much more interesting than the original concept.

The white building is the modern extension between the older buildings. This was made from a sheet of MDF covered with corrugated paper.

More updates will follow soon, and I won't leave it 6 months before the next one.

Mike.

O Scale 2 Rail, the proper way to model US O Scale.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

A quick update.

Following on from the previous post, I decided that the loading bay needed an interior.

I made a workbench, interior door, noticeboard, clipboard & a cardboard box to go on the bench.

The idea of the man opening the box came about from the fact that the figure was in an arms raised position.  A box was made with the tops open to match the figures hand positions. The notice board has individual pieces of paper stuck on to represent memo's etc, a small clipboard was made to go on the bench.

The access steps handrails are soldered nickel silver wire & the steps are scratch built plastic.

Subtle interior lighting completes the scene.

IMG_2163.JPG.bbf1a4fadb41b713daa6e30ff1998bd2.JPG

Loading Bay.

Richard has been busy sorting out the lighting. Each board's lighting level can be adjusted individually and the LED strips have been positioned parallel to the buildings so as to give an even spread of light. The LEDs are of a higher quality with a higher CRI index which give a better quality white light. Richard has been using a light meter to help ensure  an even  light level.

IMG_2184.JPG.b4eee1d74a09f441dcbc37287ece3865.JPG

Overall view of Prime Cereals.

We check the lighting with the club room lights off as we had some mystery shadows that we couldn't workout how they were being created until we realised that the room fluorescent lights were casting the shadows. 

More updates soon.

Mike. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

That overall view is very impressive!! This really will be one of those "must see" layouts when it's done. 👍👍👍

Exactly! I like the lighted layout in his case, with a good light and people in the dark. It's very good.

The industries are big and interesting to make. This layout will be great!

More updates,

I made these tanks from Pringle tubes wrapped with thin card & seams made from cotton soaked in PVA. The caged ladder is from plastruct as are handrails, the rest is scratch built.8A7AB4CA-9E34-49F4-865C-5571A4BC20E4.jpeg.4f6b1642a51bce41a7d5b01f0ed2372f.jpegB918A968-D34F-4163-BB50-3875F4CD8E6B.jpeg.e35f13b630b976dfa8388a8ce13e6e92.jpeg

Richard has created an interior scene for one of the other buildings.

This interior is larger than one of the big buildings on one of the clubs HO US layouts.564D5ECA-7D1F-48B5-B512-AD1428C428F2.jpeg.de2b6e56a7e5b8fcce14976c707fa962.jpeg

043C9087-EE05-4B49-90D3-0BF252ED039D.jpeg.ec667389d9060c6fd29797276c076981.jpeg

The sheer size of things in O Scale never ceases to amaze  me.

Mike.

• Like 7