Bachmann Press Day - July 2017

Andy Y

Can't be easy for Bachmann, opinion divided, the original looked like a fake because it was, but woe betide them if the model does!

How's about the sole preserved TK 1623 for comparison. Magnificently restored by the LNERCA and now running on the NYMR. Edward Thompson's Nephew completes the picture!

Tom-Walters-with-1623-LNERCA-Medium.jpg

Bachmann's effort is not quite there, but not bad. Certainly less garish than the current Hornby rendition of faux teak on the non-corridor Thompsons. With the ersatz teak being hand-applied, every coach will have been different - similar to the teak graining of the Gresley's really. Like the human fingerprint - no two ever the same!

P.S - Those Birdcages in SE&CR livery look sensational. Whilst I don't need any and likely won't get any, I can admire them for what they are. So, Barwell, how about some Great Western Railway toplights to this standard?

Cheers, 

CoY

• Like 7

Its interesting to see that Bachmann are looking to move forwards into digital and use it to be able to get the maximum benefit. In that way the Mk. 2 stock look great, by having working lights and in a variety of ways so that you get greater realism from the model.

It will be interesting to know, eventually, how these models are controlled and by what programming is available to give control for your stock.

There still seems to be little information or detail on the class 158.

Some of the other stock looks good too. Mainly being the Thompson coaches in teak, which I think will look impressive in person. The first releases have gone down well in Maroon and Cream. The other Birdcage stock looks to be popular, but this is well and truely away from my interest and knowledge.

Meanwhile, its good news for the J72. Thats looking great and and the varients and details that can be done sound exciting. Again, it will be interesting to see if the lamps on the engines light up and the provision for a Sound DCC decoder and speaker, but the standard of this model could prove to be a game changer, much like the Realtrack 156 has been for units, if it does have working lights and can have DCC sound.

While some of this is welcome news and the developments might explain how projects are taking a while, other companies have managed in similar or smaller time scales to produce models with similar features. Perhaps now Bachmann really need to move these projects on by getting them into production as it seems its all looking good.

1. It will be interesting to know, eventually, how these models are controlled and by what programming is available to give control for your stock.

2. There still seems to be little information or detail on the class 158.

3. While some of this is welcome news and the developments might explain how projects are taking a while, other companies have managed in similar or smaller time scales to produce models with similar features. Perhaps now Bachmann really need to move these projects on by getting them into production as it seems its all looking good.

1. All will be delivered on Address 03, you could number them all the same within one train and work the functions or address them differently and consist them.

2. I've said what we know; I didn't want to make anything else up and I don't think they would too.

3. They will do them at the pace which suits their resources, plans and production slots - I didn't see a magic wand in the cabinets yesterday.

• RMweb Gold

3. They will do them at the pace which suits their resources, plans and production slots - I didn't see a magic wand in the cabinets yesterday.

More delays! Bachmann promised a magic wand back in 2009, and its STILL not here! I cant wait for Hornby to produce one now. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

1. All will be delivered on Address 03, you could number them all the same within one train and work the functions or address them differently and consist them.

2. I've said what we know; I didn't want to make anything else up and I don't think they would too.

Lol Andy - not make anything *else* up, that did make me laugh. As for magic wands, you were supposed to take your own.

Thanks for the report and photos. In the 158 thread I surmised that some delay may be Bachmann taking a good look at direction and how they compete with the likes of SLW and Realtrack. It rather looks that Bachmann's new models will stand alongside the 156, 24s quite handsomely.

Roy

I'm very impressed with the livery renditions on the SE&CR and SR Birdcages, and the subtle tooling variation on the bogies.

As for the faux teak on the Thompsons, it looks a bit brutal on the enlarged image of the all 1st, but to my eyes about right

in the almost scale size image.

We are certainly being spoilt with these quality coaches, and others on the market these days.

Thanks Andy for the comprehensive report and photos.  It's good to see that the promised increase in resources to clear the backlog that was mentioned in previous years appears to be finally getting things moving.  The Freightliners and Mk2s look really good and as for the 90...

Interested to learn that they are giving the little NER kettle a surprise more comprehensive rework rather than a new chassis.  No use for me but I wonder if that means the two GWR unicorns of the Manor and Mogul might be heading for the same treatment? 

All in all a nice positive boost all round.

What are you dismissively comparing it to? A piece of polished teak? Other manufacturers renditions of faux-teak? Period colour photos? Preserved interpretations? Or a cupboard from MFI?

Dismiss why not ?                  

Ok, in these cases the colour photos are preserved examples, if there are any coloured photos of Thompson's in LNER service they would be much appreciated to be viewed.

Does  anyone seriously think the quality of the scumbling even slightly compare with the Bachmann effort ?. Bachmann have simply done panels all the same colour with little or no variation between each panel. Teak is a beautiful subtle grained  wood it does not have streaks/lines . Look at the detailed Hornby Gresley coaches from 5 to 10 years ago that is what the graining should look like.

post-7186-0-17624900-1499353120.jpg

post-7186-0-43530400-1499353135.jpg

post-7186-0-11809900-1499353185.jpg

post-7186-0-00253400-1499353407.jpg

post-7186-0-74577500-1499353566.jpg

post-7186-0-42037200-1499353611_thumb.jpg

MFI this looks familiar.

post-7186-0-70023800-1499353872.jpg

The latest Hornby efforts are even worse.

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Gold

Interested to learn that they are giving the little NER kettle a surprise more comprehensive rework rather than a new chassis.  No use for me but I wonder if that means the two GWR unicorns of the Manor and Mogul might be heading for the same treatment? 

All in all a nice positive boost all round.

This (along with the upspec to the Mk2f and Class 90) gives a good indication that Bachmann are seeing much greater returns being available if they upspec models, than going the basic route.  I guess if you go down the just upgrade the chassis route, there is too high a risk of one of the many competitors deciding to release a full spec model.

Great update Andy, thanks for posting. The two things that really caught my eye are the SECR liveried coaches and the 1970s liveried Freightliner wagons. All I need to do now is justify running both on the same layout.

Pleasing to see some new features for a Bachmann coach (Talking MK2 here), I note provision for Air Hoses, ETH Jumpers for a few. I can't see any communication chord butterflys though. Nice to see the brake block carriers in line with the tyre treads. Hoping the rivets and ferodo plates will be moulded into the gangway after seeing so much new detail on that end alone it'd just finish it off nicely.

Bogies, i'm assuming the foot steps are still yet to be fitted on the samples, and nice to see saddle carriers have been incorporated into the tool.

On the DBSO, the drivers door hasn't been outlined as a door; just a handle and a window. Hopefully the door posts etc will be rectified. Talking about doors generally, on each corner of the wrap around doors on each photo, on the gangway end, the edge of the door isn't outlined, looks like the door morphs into the coach body.

Hopefully it is just an omission of the sample, but looks striking none the less.

Maybe I'm just being sad here, the guttering downright in vehicle ends should be circular not square box.

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 1

Many thanks Andy, and Bachmann, for these latest product updates.

Andy, you mentioned that the Kernow MRC's commissioned production version of the 4-TC unit was on show.

Do you have any pictures of same ? or, do we have to wait for Kernow to publish ?

All the best,

Frank.

• Like 1

Well, I wish all the "teak fans" well.

The modern version shown in post #26 ;

http://www.lnerca.org/home/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Tom-Walters-with-1623-LNERCA-Medium.jpg

Looks dreadful compared with those pictures in post #36 ;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-7186-0-17624900-1499353120.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-7186-0-43530400-1499353135.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-7186-0-00253400-1499353407.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-7186-0-42037200-1499353611.jpg

I  ASSUME that that is down to the camera rather than the actual finish.

Good luck to Bachmann, the ultra rivet counters will never be happy.

See those works painters - can they not make a proper job of getting scumbled teak right?  Look at all those stripes and variation in colour!

​I'm waiting for proof that actually SNG would never have allowed it in the first place and that it was all Thompson's fault :)

post-6691-0-58324600-1499366539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob-65b
  • Like 9

Can the POS coach and the FFA/FGA  be put through the shrinking machine please Mr Bachmann?

"It is increasingly evident that Bachmann are looking at bringing more added value to products and exploring where additional features can increase the appeal of products, a prime example of this has to be the Mark 2F coach range."

This is actually a bit concerning as the cost of models has already increased significantly in recent years and when manufactures add features that many purchasers could live without, it adds even more to their cost. A perfect example is the Bachmann MK2 Regional Railway coaches where the addition of weathering and the model passengers has increased the price of them by £20. If they also offer a "vanilla" version alongside these feature filled models then fair enough, but I can see some modellers being priced out of purchasing them.

Can the POS coach and the FFA/FGA  be put through the shrinking machine please Mr Bachmann?

"It is increasingly evident that Bachmann are looking at bringing more added value to products and exploring where additional features can increase the appeal of products, a prime example of this has to be the Mark 2F coach range."

This is actually a bit concerning as the cost of models has already increased significantly in recent years and when manufactures add features that many purchasers could live without, it adds even more to their cost. A perfect example is the Bachmann MK2 Regional Railway coaches where the addition of weathering and the model passengers has increased the price of them by £20. If they also offer a "vanilla" version alongside these feature filled models then fair enough, but I can see some modellers being priced out of purchasing them.

Yes I would have loved a rake of unweathered RR Mark2's but sadly they made a mucky version!!

Well, I wish all the "teak fans" well.

The modern version shown in post #26 ;

http://www.lnerca.org/home/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Tom-Walters-with-1623-LNERCA-Medium.jpg

Looks dreadful compared with those pictures in post #36 ;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-7186-0-17624900-1499353120.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-7186-0-43530400-1499353135.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-7186-0-00253400-1499353407.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-7186-0-42037200-1499353611.jpg

I  ASSUME that that is down to the camera rather than the actual finish.

Good luck to Bachmann, the ultra rivet counters will never be happy.

Probably more to do with the light. At least one is in very bright daylight and another is in a dark museum building (goods shed?). It's not actually the colour which is being debated, but the texture/finish.

Hornby's recent rendering of the livery is terrible and Bachmann may have also slightly over done the grain effect. But don't forget they are samples.

Jason