Peckett Paradise

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Yes but this was really a test of do they work as standard ;)

The wagons aren't tight only the longer overhang of the loco is pushing it and it doesn't cause a problem. If I retain the hooks and don't go to kadee's as usual I remove the loco hooks anyway as it looks better. I did mull over three link but I'll leave that for the O gauge messing around as you spend half your time batting the wagons around in 4mm with big fingers like mine. This is a home plaything to add a bit more interest to operating Lulworth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Practical testing has lead to some revisions. The Luna points are a bit loose so some tweaking required to stop stock splitting them and wandering off in two directions at once!

I decided to include a loop so I can run things in. There will be a short tunnel in the backscene about 50mm long with a lightweight black, (binliner), curtain to hide the far side.

Just need to order some more Luna track.

post-6968-0-02872400-1501001077_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-71803400-1501001090_thumb.jpg

The wagons do occasionally derail but a little weight solved that. The loco coupling is also prone to jumping off the side of the wagon loop due to the longer overhang but bendingbit gently to the left has solved that too. I'm going to try kadees next ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Now I've put the loop within the scenic board I still need to be able to bring in the wagons from the SR or GWR (depending on the identity of the Pecketts I'm running ;) )

Unsurprisingly I've chosen a cassette as I have the Peco locolifts and the DCC Concepts MPD longer cassettes.

The idea now is I can change the identity to H&P, a generic industry, somewhere on the MSC or possible a brewery in the future by changing a few signs and the details lying around in the yard.

So it will be some branded vans, coal and timber piles or barrels etc that can be changed around.

Like I did on Lulworth the signs can be stuck to sections of steel pepsi cans that have been flattened and then small neo magnets drilled into the walls fix them but allow easy swapping around.

post-6968-0-18433600-1501348288.jpg

post-6968-0-64400200-1501347691_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

205mm, = 8.7 inches in real money.  That'd be pushing it in 009; this is remarkable and boundary stretching stuff!  I think you are managing a 4mm continuous circuit layout in 27 x 18 inches excluding the cassette.  Assuming you decide to keep the tension lock couplers and not go for Kaydees, I would suggest retaining both the hooks for each coupled vehicle as they are offcentre and will tend to pull sideways if both are not there; of course, Kaydees may well prove to be a better option as a buffer/coupling.

A fascianting project which I will follow with interest, but I assume 10' wheelbase wagons and the Pecketts or maybe a Sentinel will be it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Remember that's radius ;) the board is 2ft x 3ft overall as two of the sidings are outside those radii. There will be 0.6.0's bringing wagons in from the mainline, (the cassette), but they'll only drop them in the exchange siding then shuffle off into the cassette again.

With the couplings I've found the narrow Bachmann ones work best with one hook and the extra length of the Peckett meant it's coupling jumped out of the adjoining loop on the reverse curve of the siding. I solved that by bending the Peckett hook slightly towards the inside of the radius and it all works fine. The wider original Bachmann coupling loop works fine as it is so you can leave both hooks on if you don't include any stock with narrow couplings.

Still need to try kadees :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

Remember that's radius ;) the board is 2ft x 3ft overall as two of the sidings are outside those radii. There will be 0.6.0's bringing wagons in from the mainline, (the cassette), but they'll only drop them in the exchange siding then shuffle off into the cassette again.

With the couplings I've found the narrow Bachmann ones work best with one hook and the extra length of the Peckett meant it's coupling jumped out of the adjoining loop on the reverse curve of the siding. I solved that by bending the Peckett hook slightly towards the inside of the radius and it all works fine. The wider original Bachmann coupling loop works fine as it is so you can leave both hooks on if you don't include any stock with narrow couplings.

Still need to try kadees :)

Crumbs Paul, this layout takes the biscuit.

Best regards.

Kevin.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps, I didn't intend this one going out once it morphed away from part of Lulworth but we will see how it goes. It does have the advantage of being very easy to move ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wanted the track on the exchange siding side to be sleepered so I removed the rail and bent it round an aerosol tin.
post-6968-0-65818300-1501438935_thumb.jpg

And after carefully slotting it back in with the outer sleeper web cut.

post-6968-0-75331200-1501488193.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A friend passed away from Motor Neurone Disease and in clearing his models out his wife passed this on to me thinking it might be good for one of my layouts.

Just about perfect for the other side of Peckett Paradise :)

So a donation to MNDA and the street will be named after Chris :)

post-6968-0-03529700-1507371057_thumb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's not as reliable as I'd like though so I've been contemplating hand laying it instead! Need the time and enthusiasm so it's on hold as a couple of other layouts are more urgent to get finished.

• 2 months later...

Hi There. I have a Peckett on pre order to run on an Inglenook , I was hoping that it would have arrived, but being prototypical the train is late. I had been planning on DCC ing a pair of L& Y Pugs , but they, to me , seem a bit crowded. In the meantime I am running an

O8 shunter. I read something that doesn’t make sense? about “ track radii “ and 0-4-0 Locos which I don’t understand , because loco would go anywhere on any radii, but apparently not. Happy modelling. Kevin

• RMweb Gold

The 0-4-0 locos will run on incredibly tight radii but you tend to get problems with buffers locking and couplings not having enough sideplay. Both can be sorted with changes to bigger or block buffers and the couplings but I didn't want to hack up the H&P loco ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cogitation on handbuilding track as I’m not happy with the Tillig points and inlay. So it’s on the back burner while other layouts are taking up time. It will happen as I’ve ordered more Pecketts, 4 & 6 wheeled! 

I’m also playing with ideas on a slot in backscene so it can change from biscuits to beer in an instant :) 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/02/2019 at 11:39, PaulRhB said:

Cogitation on handbuilding track as I’m not happy with the Tillig points and inlay. So it’s on the back burner while other layouts are taking up time. It will happen as I’ve ordered more Pecketts, 4 & 6 wheeled! 

I’m also playing with ideas on a slot in backscene so it can change from biscuits to beer in an instant :) 

Paul,

Please to hear this one is still alive and kicking. I love it - it's a fascinating little project.

Biscuits and beer..... what more could we ask for! :yahoo_mini:

Look forward to seeing progress in due course.

David