Peckett Paradise

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

There’s a superb N gauge layout on the show circuit with its backscene blocked in in just a few colours reminiscent of the 30’s travel posters. I think the appropriate method varies by what you are trying to do with the focus. I like the train in the landscape so the backscene matching the scenery is my preference for this type. On the modular systems I like the no backscene simplicity but I am playing with big banner backscenes behind the operator too. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

What a huge change since I last saw it! Excellent work with the scenics and trees. Really makes a massive difference! 

Not finished yet, some more long grass I think, bits of dumped wood and metal and the loading shed ;) 

D524A353-9355-4917-88EA-DC16D391C8F2.jpeg.d6338219e27fb9f241ef504ca313f24b.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

Great to see the transformation! Do you plan to exhibit it? I want to hopefully take mine out on the circuit but no sign of shows soon! Would love to see the layout.

Not planning to as I have other layouts I exhibit and working most weekends I only get to 4-5 shows a year as an exhibitor so this was intended as something that will sit in the corner to play with when the mood takes me for 20 mins of shunting ;)  I added the controls on the back as an experiment for modules I build in 009 and Nm really so this would be exhibitable but unlikely to happen unless it was asked for. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Been testing the scraps of 5mm foamex to destruction. A tight bend around dowel on the left caused the surface to crack and then snap but if formed around a spray can you can get to around 50mm radius without cracking. 
88EC5A04-BE66-4A08-946D-D6668C76F80A.jpeg.efdc036db89df0dc49e971c826a0347b.jpeg

the lower one has the surface cracks

69471E85-3F43-4CEA-849D-BA4FD9250555.jpeg.3931c8e7d2e610036817095c3bc6a23d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Been testing the scraps of 5mm foamex to destruction. A tight bend around dowel on the left caused the surface to crack and then snap but if formed around a spray can you can get to around 50mm radius without cracking. 
88EC5A04-BE66-4A08-946D-D6668C76F80A.jpeg.efdc036db89df0dc49e971c826a0347b.jpeg

the lower one has the surface cracks

69471E85-3F43-4CEA-849D-BA4FD9250555.jpeg.3931c8e7d2e610036817095c3bc6a23d.jpeg

That's tighter than I expected. I was thinking I'd have to go with corners (tiny layout) but that might be doable. 3mm stuck to a 5mm outer box should certainly work...

• 2 weeks later...

You know I absolutely love this little layout!

However, I do have one small problem, in that your gorgeous photos of your little Peckett locos entices me into buying them as well!

Last time I mentioned this, it was because I had bought myself "The Earl" instead of some wagons. Then you posted photos of the Bristol Docks loco and boom! I was smitten!

I now have three Peckett B2 locos. And two W4 Pecketts. And a Ruston & Hornsby 48DS. 

Now see here, @PaulRhB, I'm not suggesting it is your fault I keep buying them. Not at all. But if you could perhaps just lay off the beautiful photos for just a little while, maybe I could go cold turkey and rid myself of my addiction!

Steve S

PS

Of couse I am kidding! Keep posting your photos! They are an inspiration and also enjoyable in their own right! Nothing brightens up the evening more! Seriously! Go ahead! (Just remember, it's your fault!)

HOURS OF FUN!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

The rear half is now roughed in with the two tape rectangles behind showing where the chutes will go through the backscene. 
The idea is a flat tray that I tip a loaded wagon into and then push a flat plate, bit like a solid rake, to shove it along the tray until it drops into the angled chutes above the wagons. The chutes will be enclosed with guards that just miss the wagons to minimise spillage. The loaded wagon can be tipped into a tray and the load just wait to be pushed forward when empties are ready. 

2C2156AE-54FC-4155-8EB0-24CFDFB11078.jpeg.d722edb20c72513b9ec9c2a31e60eab5.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

19 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

You know I absolutely love this little layout!

However, I do have one small problem, in that your gorgeous photos of your little Peckett locos entices me into buying them as well!

Last time I mentioned this, it was because I had bought myself "The Earl" instead of some wagons. Then you posted photos of the Bristol Docks loco and boom! I was smitten!

I now have three Peckett B2 locos. And two W4 Pecketts. And a Ruston & Hornsby 48DS. 

Now see here, @PaulRhB, I'm not suggesting it is your fault I keep buying them. Not at all. But if you could perhaps just lay off the beautiful photos for just a little while, maybe I could go cold turkey and rid myself of my addiction!

No, don't defend him :acute:, Paul is a very bad influence and has been trying to tempt me into all sorts of diversions for a long time now. There's me trying to to stick to my long term projects and he has to go and show us something amazing in a small space that he built over an afternoon ....grrr!

I have also succumbed to multiple Pecketts, although, to be fair, that's not actually Paul's fault this time.

Edited by PatC
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Ok I think I need to stop now and start cladding it! :lol:

Peckett Paradise

It’s definitely got the added and ‘repaired’ look I wanted to suggest inside and I’ve modified it slightly so it sits over the loading mechanism rather than being around it which means I can glue it down at the corners and remove it easily if there’s a problem. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1