British underground railways (not London underground)

• RMweb Premium

Does the Solva waterworks railway count? (Although most of its length is underground, both ends are on the surface).

The former Kingsway tram subway in London springs to mind, as does the Northern City line which is no longer part of the Underground network.

Also the construction lines on Crossrail.

Is that still there?  Suppose it would have to be, there's no other satisfactory access to the sewage works (presumably a building restriction of being in the National Park)?  My dad was involved with a few jobs on Solva sewage works, sadly I never got to go on this site with him and walk through the tunnel.

IMG_0447.JPG.7db0136b39f14feb67d505c04b03da3d.JPGThere was an underground railway in the Manod Mine, built to transport the nations art treasures when they were stored there during the Second World war.  Attached is a photograph of it I took back in 2009. The rock had fallen sometime in the past 7 years, the galleries had been in much better condition when I originally visited in 2002.

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 2

If this thread goes on to identify every mine railway, every underground quarry railway, and every tunnelling contract railway, it will become very long indeed!

Nothing wrong with that; I'm just observing.

A passenger line not mentioned yet: Ramsgate Tunnel.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

There's also the Glasgow Royal Infirmary Railway, an electrically operated line entirely underground with a 1 in 10 incline. It connected three different wings of the hospital via the basements. Its demise came about when some trainee doctors decided to play at engine drivers on the one locomotive. The locomotive ran away down the incline and smashed through a wall into the nurses home, matron was not amused. There is a similar railway, mostly underground, still serving St. Michaels Mount running from the harbour into the castle.

On 15/07/2017 at 06:30, Nearholmer said:

If this thread goes on to identify every mine railway, every underground quarry railway, and every tunnelling contract railway, it will become very long indeed!

Well, we had better get started then!  Here are two:

Morses Level, near Blakeney in the Forest of Dean.

IMG_3868.JPG.8ac42f54b61be41d4d55b140f9f488f0.JPG

Old Furnace Level, Howlers Slade, Cannop in the Forest of Dean

IMG_3956.jpg.c4725b59348ea3cad20cfb320aa591d5.jpg

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photos
  • Like 5