Hi Gerry,

Just had a good read through this thread. I hadn't come across it before and it hadn't shown up for some reason. Anyway sorry I couldn't make it to Bala this year, but the layout is looking fantastic and with your set of stations on this line, you are really showing what can be done in N. Great stuff,

John

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Super layout. Hugely enjoyable thread to read through. Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work.

(Now I’m off to read your other layout threads!)

Thanks for your interest Chris. I am developing my 6th layout at present: Diesel Depot. My previous ones are Ballybeg (OO Irish), Llangollen (N UK/BR preservation), Shunters Yard (OO UK/GWR), Cynwyd (N UK/BR) and Llanuwchllyn of course. I plan to show Llanuwchllyn at Belfast in August. I have commenced plans also for an O gauge layout "Buffers Lock" GWR outline.

Regards, Gerry

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking work, Gerry, and at a rate of knots.

The Byrnes of Llanuwchllyn are descended from Gerard Byrne senior, a noted Sinn Feiner, interned in nearby Frongoch prison camp after the rising in 1916. He befriended a local girl, Blodwyn Evans, who helped him escape from the camp after he trod on prisoner deValera's begonias one morning. Byrne asserted that it was prisoner Collins that pushed him but, whatever the truth of it, deV said he would make Ireland too hot for Byrne. Byrne decided he would rather make Llanuwchllyn too hot for everyone, and set up a coal merchant's business there rather than return home. He later married Ms Evans and they had 12 children, 11 girls and 1 boy. The youngest, Gerry, took over the business in 1939 when his father, ironically, tripped over a begonia shortly after hearing that the economic war between Ireland and the UK had ended, and spent the rest of his days in a wheelchair.

(I found this out when researching how someone with a name like Byrne ended up selling coal to Welsh people in Wales. Talk about coals to Newcastle!)

Hope you're keeping well,

Alan

• Funny 1

Cracking work, Gerry, and at a rate of knots.

The Byrnes of Llanuwchllyn are descended from Gerard Byrne senior, a noted Sinn Feiner, interned in nearby Frongoch prison camp after the rising in 1916. He befriended a local girl, Blodwyn Evans, who helped him escape from the camp after he trod on prisoner deValera's begonias one morning. Byrne asserted that it was prisoner Collins that pushed him but, whatever the truth of it, deV said he would make Ireland too hot for Byrne. Byrne decided he would rather make Llanuwchllyn too hot for everyone, and set up a coal merchant's business there rather than return home. He later married Ms Evans and they had 12 children, 11 girls and 1 boy. The youngest, Gerry, took over the business in 1939 when his father, ironically, tripped over a begonia shortly after hearing that the economic war between Ireland and the UK had ended, and spent the rest of his days in a wheelchair.

(I found this out when researching how someone with a name like Byrne ended up selling coal to Welsh people in Wales. Talk about coals to Newcastle!)

Hope you're keeping well,

Alan

Great back-story! The guys who printed up the Llanuwchllyn signs for me also did a few Byrne signs so I included them on the layout for a bit of a joke to see if anyone noticed! Byrne is a Wicklow name which is a county known for rebel activity particularly in the bloody uprising of 1798.

Hi Gerry,

Just had a good read through this thread. I hadn't come across it before and it hadn't shown up for some reason. Anyway sorry I couldn't make it to Bala this year, but the layout is looking fantastic and with your set of stations on this line, you are really showing what can be done in N. Great stuff,

John

Hi John,

It was a good exhibition all round. I hope to show my Cynwyd layout there next year. Next up I am showing Llanuwchllyn in Belfast in August. How is progress on Llangollen in OO? I'll be back in Llangollen again in Sept and will give you a shout then.

Gerry

Nice to see someone else is modelling the Llangollen Line. However, one thing I would say about the real Llanuchwllyn station is it has a spacious feel about it despite trees.  This timeless scene could have been taken in 4' 8½" steam days...

post-6680-0-95284300-1530782884.jpg

One of my friends who lives just up the road from here is a driver there. His name? Robert Fairley.....I kid you not. He is sat on the right....

post-6680-0-23632000-1530782882_thumb.jpg

A view towards the goods yard taken from the down platform in 2014....

post-6680-0-66167300-1530782883.jpg

A shot from the end of the goods yard in 2015....

post-6680-0-30968500-1530782880_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...