Kernow announce Class 66709 Sorrento in MSC Livery

sc2016

• 2 years later...
On 05/06/2020 at 22:10, shunny said:

Just ordered one of these Kernow offering for a very good price of £99.99 this weekend.

That’s very tempting! I notice the nuts on the axlebox covers have been painted yellow. Just the thing to emphasise turning axlebox covers.* I’d be tempted to add a touch of yellow to Dapol’s 59s, whether prototypical or not.

* I realise that they don’t turn on this model.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently stumped up for one of these in KMR's exhibition sale, before realising that it has the wrong type of cab side windows for this livery.  Does anyone know if the correct two piece window frames (as fitted to various Bachmann 66) are available as a spare part?  (Yes I will ask Bachmann, just checking to see if anyone here has done this mod?

TIA

7 minutes ago, Johnfromoz said:

Recently stumped up for one of these in KMR's exhibition sale, before realising that it has the wrong type of cab side windows for this livery.  Does anyone know if the correct two piece window frames (as fitted to various Bachmann 66) are available as a spare part?  (Yes I will ask Bachmann, just checking to see if anyone here has done this mod?

TIA

If 47829 is reduced Id be buying that. 

14 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

TIA

Hi John,

I discovered last week there is an issue with doing this Unfortunately. Whilst rebuilding a 66 with this bodyshell I found the 2 part windows don’t fit as these were what I had to hand. The 3 part Windows fit a shell that has a raised plastic lip that is curved at the corners where the front part of the glazing fits nicely into. The 2 part glazing has sharp angles for the front pane which won’t fit and the 2nd pane towards the cab doors is smaller in height than the opening on this bodyshell too. 

Sorry it’s not a nice simple swap as I thought it would be for the model I was doing, but hope that saves you some time/money getting bits that won’t fit.

cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for this helpful information. It has indeed saved me a lot of mucking around. Will just have to enjoy Sorrento as is ( or scratch build window frames which would be tedious).  Might be an aftermarket opportunity for someone as more and more 66’s get the new windows.

cheers

John