Scale Trains SD40-2

I always find it odd the way companies try very hard not to give info' out. The Scale Trains SD40-2 looks a great loco I'm about to order a NS unit (none sound)

The loco has a great lighting layout with front and rear ditch lights...or it has as long as you fit a ESU LokPilot 21 pin chip! Which is the only chip the loco is wired for. It sounds a lot like a Dapol loco I had trouble with

Edited by stock_2007

• RMweb Gold

I always find it odd the way companies try very hard not to give info' out. The Scale Trains SD40-2 looks a great loco I'm about to order a NS unit (none sound)

The loco has a great lighting layout with front and rear ditch out...or it has as long as you fit a ESU LokPilot 21 pin chip! Which is the only chip the loco is wired for. It sounds a lot like a Dapol loco I had trouble with

I rather fancy that you have partly answered your own question - an 8-pin decoder cannot access the required number of simultaneous function options on complex lighting and sound installations. I think this is what led to the introduction of multiple-pin interfaces of recent years. At least you would find you got value from the decoder. I need the same model for commanding very simple lighting in a Rail87 4-wheel railcar trailer, which doesn't even have a motor!

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

I recently took delivery of one of the second run of this model.

Mine is a C&NW in 'as delivered' "old yellow" or "Stagecoach" yellow, in the 'Rivet Counter' series, fitted with a Loksound decoder.

40295750072_34b516fa82_c.jpg

39443292335_f129b72f88_c.jpg

I do like the class lights that change colour with multiple presses of F5.

38531134030_077e36c1dd_c.jpg

Correct northwestern style nose mounted 'gong' bell.

39443292145_4200797105_c.jpg

Great detail on the trucks and that detailed knuckle is metal.

25468925487_9739b8045f_c.jpg

Nice fans.

40295749762_b824a2a2b9_c.jpg

I was expecting better detail on the horns though. Strangely, the number boards only seem to light up when the sound is on.

25468923427_3572d7aaca_c.jpg

The roof is everything you would expect.

38531132700_20b4ba9f5b_c.jpg

Really? A sweeping brush fitted to the nose! F7 sets the warning flasher going.

38531042430_a5e168b968_c.jpg

Looks every inch a northwestern SD40-2 to me.

The paintwork and lettering detail is very fine indeed - there is nothing to do but add weathering.

I've now got quite a few C&NW SD40-2's from Athearn, Kato, Broadway, this is as smooth running as a Kato, better sounding than Broadway and exquisitely detailed. I'd say that Scaletrains.com have indeed made the definitive classic American loco. I'm very pleased with it, it's a heavy model too so I will have no haulage problems on anything I can run it on.

I'm rubbish at shooting videos but here's my effort at demonstrating it;

Cheers,

John.

• Like 6

Thanks, William.

I bought it directly from Scaletrains.com.

IF I get another (maybe in a more modern livery?) I would probably try and buy from Trainworld or similar as shipping was approx. $35, ouch!

Re: sound - well, the Americans (and me!) have been highly enthusiastic about it for over twenty years now as it adds a terrific dimension to operating your models. The key is to get the level of volume correct, I like it just below the threshold of what my ears can bear in a small room at home but at an exhibition, I think it should be audible only within about three feet of the model - a difficult ask as the hall volume ebbs and flows.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

Trainworld now has a minimum overseas shipping cost of $40.00. However, the overall cost of the Atlas sound fitted loco I bought still cost £50.00 cheaper than buying from Gaugemaster.

With regard to sound. The 'Turbo Whine' of an EMD prime mover can be irritating after a while. However, I love the sound of my EMD GP38-2 as it has a non-turbo prime mover with the superb 'Drivehold' feature.

• Like 1

Dear RMWebbers,

Thankfully, just like the pursuit of Scale Visual modelling,
Scale Aural modelling means that once the appropriately-scaled sonic model is achieved,
there is no (scale modelling) reason to change it (IE make it louder)...

Turning up the Master Volume CV "because it's a noisy room"
is IMHO no different than putting G scale details on a HO loco "because No-one notices the scale-appropriate-sized details at exhibition-viewing distances"....
(If the punter is truly-engaged by the model presentation,
they _will_ automatically lean-in, get up-close,
and be rewarded with a "finescale" audio bonus which is in-keeping with the otherwise-finescale visual model...

...said another way, even a prototype 12"/1' scale loco in notch8, screaming it's prime-mover out,
is rendered "inaudible" by an earthquake or tornado-worth of "ambient noisefloor"... ;-) )

Happy modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS just because a "scale sound" loco or layout can't be heard "against the 12"/1' scale noisefloor of the room" at 6' listening distance,
does not mean the audio thru-air soundwaves the ear recieves aren't physically present in the air,
Only that the punter has to actually _consciously listen_ for them... ;-)
(funny, that's just the same as the punter having to _consciously look_ for the "superdetails" in a finescale modelling scene...)

Edited by Prof Klyzlr
  • Like 1

Dear RMWebbers,

Thankfully, just like the pursuit of Scale Visual modelling,

Scale Aural modelling means that once the appropriately-scaled sonic model is achieved,

there is no (scale modelling) reason to change it (IE make it louder)...

Turning up the Master Volume CV "because it's a noisy room"

is IMHO no different than putting G scale details on a HO loco "because No-one notices the scale-appropriate-sized details at exhibition-viewing distances"....

(If the punter is truly-engaged by the model presentation,

they will lean-in, get up-close,

and be rewarded with a "finescale" audio bonus which is in-keeping with the otherwise-finescale visual model...

...said another way, even a prototype 12"/1' scale loco in notch8, screaming it's prime-mover out,

is rendered "inaudible" by an earthquake or tornado-worth of ambient noisefloor... ;-) )

Happy modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

PS just because a "scale sound" loco or layout can't be heard "against the 12"/1' scale noisefloor" at 6' listening distance,

does not mean the audio thru-air soundwaves the ear recieves aren't physically present in the air,

Only that the punter has to actually _consciously listen_ for them... ;-)

(funny, that's just the same as the punter having to _consciously look_ for the "superdetails" in a finescale modelling scene...)

and sadly I'm a bit deaf and wear spectacles so I'm no good to anyone :senile:  

Dear Stock,

sadly I'm a bit deaf and wear spectacles

Nothing out of the ordinary there, plenty of active (Visual and Aural) modellers overcoming similar age-of-life factors
(I personally wear glasses, and am -3dB down at 1K in my left ear...)

so I'm no good to anyone

Now, that's a flat-out self-depreciating lie, and I (and I'm sure many other members here) won't let you get away with it...  :nono:  :yahoo:  :good:  :D

As long as you can find the motivation in yourself to 

(in Modellng, as in Life)

Aim to Improve,

then what you're doing is most-certainly "good enough" to stand tall here or anywhere for-that-matter...

Happy Modelling,
Prof Klyzlr

Hi All,

I recently took delivery of one of the second run of this model.

Mine is a C&NW in 'as delivered' "old yellow" or "Stagecoach" yellow, in the 'Rivet Counter' series, fitted with a Loksound decoder.

40295750072_34b516fa82_c.jpg

39443292335_f129b72f88_c.jpg

I do like the class lights that change colour with multiple presses of F5.

38531134030_077e36c1dd_c.jpg

Correct northwestern style nose mounted 'gong' bell.

39443292145_4200797105_c.jpg

Great detail on the trucks and that detailed knuckle is metal.

25468925487_9739b8045f_c.jpg

Nice fans.

40295749762_b824a2a2b9_c.jpg

I was expecting better detail on the horns though. Strangely, the number boards only seem to light up when the sound is on.

25468923427_3572d7aaca_c.jpg

The roof is everything you would expect.

38531132700_20b4ba9f5b_c.jpg

Really? A sweeping brush fitted to the nose! F7 sets the warning flasher going.

38531042430_a5e168b968_c.jpg

Looks every inch a northwestern SD40-2 to me.

The paintwork and lettering detail is very fine indeed - there is nothing to do but add weathering.

I've now got quite a few C&NW SD40-2's from Athearn, Kato, Broadway, this is as smooth running as a Kato, better sounding than Broadway and exquisitely detailed. I'd say that Scaletrains.com have indeed made the definitive classic American loco. I'm very pleased with it, it's a heavy model too so I will have no haulage problems on anything I can run it on.

I'm rubbish at shooting videos but here's my effort at demonstrating it;

Cheers,

John.

I was looking over your loco again and I wondered if you knew of anybody who makes little add on parts like the sweeping brush, I have two CNW locos that need them

Dear John, Stock, Broom-curious...

Might I suggest any of the following?

Evergreen Hill Designs
http://shop.evergreenhilldesigns.com/EH603-Street-Broom-HO-scale-EH603.htm

Scale Structures

http://scale-structures.com/ss2313

http://scale-structures.com/ss2509

Model Tech Studios

https://modeltechstudios.com/hoscaledetailpushbrooms3packfinished.aspx

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr