LNER Quad Art set numbers Help please

Hello

I recently found a photo of a 1925 build LNER Quad art set running in BR days with Fox bogies and gas lighting, the set has the carriages 48601 and 48602 in it.

Can anyone help me out with the set number of these carriages please?post-573-0-67999900-1500058506_thumb.jpgpost-573-0-67999900-1500058506_thumb.jpg

The Harris book is very good but does not have set number information

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Are you sure this is a Quad-Art set, I have researched these vehicles as I am building a kit and the numbers you quote and show on the photographs do not appear in the spreadsheet I have created, I wonder it may be a Quint-Art set but I do not have access to the information at the moment. If nobody comes up with an answer by Wednesday I will look in the library at the HMRS Museum & Study Centre and see what I can find.

Are you sure this is a Quad-Art set, I have researched these vehicles as I am building a kit and the numbers you quote and show on the photographs do not appear in the spreadsheet I have created, I wonder it may be a Quint-Art set but I do not have access to the information at the moment. If nobody comes up with an answer by Wednesday I will look in the library at the HMRS Museum & Study Centre and see what I can find.

Hello

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't think it is a Quint Art I reckon if it is not an LNER built set it is probably one of the sets that were produced when the Great Northern suburban twins were rebuilt into quads. The odd thing about the photo is that is captioned as being taken in Hull, although I guess towards the end of their lives these sets strayed from their original home.

Regards

John

• RMweb Premium

Certainly a Quad Art set; one of the earlier ones (ex GN?) with Fox bogies, top lights in the doors and GN style Guard's lookouts.

I thought I had the info requested somewhere, but I'm still wondering where!

Certainly a Quad Art set; one of the earlier ones (ex GN?) with Fox bogies, top lights in the doors and GN style Guard's lookouts.

I thought I had the info requested somewhere, but I'm still wondering where!

Thanks Steve

Looks like the top lights are plated over.

The data on set numbers and how they relate to carriage numbers does seem a little scarce for these earlier sets.

Regards

John

Edited by jimmysbow

• RMweb Premium

I've had a look in the usual places for information on LNER coaches (3 books by Michael Harris) but the set number info doesn't seem to be in them.  It may have been in the Great Northern Society journal, many years ago!  When I made one (also many years ago), I made it Set 85 probably because the Harris book 'LNER Carriages' has a picture of that set and gives the coach numbers for half of it, also it is the style of vehicle which the Kirk kit represents without having to make any modifications.

Hello

Thanks all for taking the time to reply

I have found the set number is 61 (same photo is on Steve Banks site didn't know about this site before)

I have a 1929 set on my workbench at the moment a mix of Kirk/Cooper craft sides and Mjt bits and the earlier set would make an interesting contrast

Regards

John

• RMweb Premium

Didn't think of looking there, John although Steve Banks's web site is bookmarked on my computer!  The set you've chosen doesn't seem to have the lower footboards in that photo, so that's one job at least that you won't have to do.  Interesting to see the 'uncoupled' end of set 71 on that page too; unfortunately the short buffers and special coupling are in shade - it's difficult to find out what they looked like.

Didn't think of looking there, John although Steve Banks's web site is bookmarked on my computer!  The set you've chosen doesn't seem to have the lower footboards in that photo, so that's one job at least that you won't have to do.  Interesting to see the 'uncoupled' end of set 71 on that page too; unfortunately the short buffers and special coupling are in shade - it's difficult to find out what they looked like.

Hi Steve

Lots of different details amongst the sets. I suppose the lack of info/ photos in certain aspects is the old problem of people not recording what is perceived as the mundane until it is gone.

With the lack of  space I have available I will have to run them as single sets, will put some photos on RM when thy have progressed a bit more

• Like 1

Hello

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't think it is a Quint Art I reckon if it is not an LNER built set it is probably one of the sets that were produced when the Great Northern suburban twins were rebuilt into quads. The odd thing about the photo is that is captioned as being taken in Hull, although I guess towards the end of their lives these sets strayed from their original home.

Regards

John

These coaches came to Hull for use on evening football specials from platforms 15/16 Paragon station (which looks to me where the photo was taken) to the halt platform adjacent to Hull City AFC's Boothferry Park ground.

During the day, they worked to Brough for the staff of Hawker Siddeley Aviation  there. They were called the "Brough Cattle Trains".

• Like 1

Someone should only show a current TOC with high density services the way old tech really packed the walking freight into a given train length...

Every problem has a solution so they say, I solved my over crowding one by digging out my guard's door key and used it to gain access to the van at the other end of the train.  :nono:

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 1

The GNRS did publish a book on the articulated stock, but it's been out of print for a while and is currently being reworked into several volumes. Predictably from your point of view the Quads and Quints are likely to be the last part to emerge.

I think Bill Bedford does etches for the GN sets.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Can I please ask one more question please do any of you know if the Quad Arts ever ran in mixed sets i.e.- The composite part of one set coupled with the all third set from another or were they always permanently coupled?

Thanks 

John

• 3 years later...
On 15/07/2017 at 15:57, 31A said:

I've had a look in the usual places for information on LNER coaches (3 books by Michael Harris) but the set number info doesn't seem to be in them.  It may have been in the Great Northern Society journal, many years ago!  When I made one (also many years ago), I made it Set 85 probably because the Harris book 'LNER Carriages' has a picture of that set and gives the coach numbers for half of it, also it is the style of vehicle which the Kirk kit represents without having to make any modifications.

D.70        D.71          D.69           D.68

Set 85: E86199E - E86198E - E86197E - E86196E 

D.72          D.73          D.74          D.75

Set 85: E86308E - E86309E - E86310E - E86311E

Not sure why it has two I guess the sets were numbered for pairs. 

• 2 months later...