A few of Maentwrog Road. Most of my black & white negs were never printed. Colour trannies were only used on sunny days. One of the irregular Inspections of the line passing Maentwrog Road goods....

Thanks Coach, great photos and thanks for sharing them on this thread.

• Like 1

Coachmann's photos prompts the re-asking of a question I first posed a few years ago without ever getting a satisfactory answer (Educated guesses are okay.  All I got then were clearly uneducated guesses)

Trap-points on freight-only lines.  Is the one at Maentwrog Road simply a relic from its days as a 'normal' branch or do sidings on non-passenger lines also require such things?

Coachmann's photos prompts the re-asking of a question I first posed a few years ago without ever getting a satisfactory answer (Educated guesses are okay.  All I got then were clearly uneducated guesses)

Trap-points on freight-only lines.  Is the one at Maentwrog Road simply a relic from its days as a 'normal' branch or do sidings on non-passenger lines also require such things?

I believe it was because passenger trains as in specials ran along the branch so the point was to stop runaways getting on to the 'main' line. I am sure Merf will be along soon with the definitive answer!

An observation. The goods branch at Cockett (on the South Wales Main Line West of Swansea) had trap points on the sidings. As the goods station was at the top of a 1:200 incline, I presume it was to prevent runaways. So trap points on goods only lines did happen.

MarkAustin

The fiddle yard board has had its first coat of satin black paint and is drying. It will be able to be set up in two configurations as you see it in the photo or with added full height side and end bolted on.

post-7968-0-26030900-1514486630_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

MRd was in my mental plans book to do at some point, so I am delighted that someone had the same thought and actually done something about it! Great work, will follow with interest.

Thank you Mr Blokey.

Always been a fan of the Conwy Valley line riding along it in DMU's in the 70's visiting family in Blaenau Ffestiniog. Being brought up on class 24, 25, 40 & 47 also added to the attraction.

• RMweb Gold

Hi I think the writers of the famed "Pink Pages" freight book might have something to say if it had, followed by a calling to Chester and Crewe to explain the career plan..!

Mind you when not all goes to plan what happens in marshaling yards does need to stay in the yard cabin.

Robert     

I just always thought with the combination of explosive and nuclear traffic sharing the same single line “what could possibly go wrong?”

All said purely in jest! Seriously though, a great project, propelling moves with brake vans at the leading end, whats not to like?

Without looking at my photo diaries, I seem to remember there was a lull in nuclear waste traffic and gunpowder had the line to itself after it was transfered from the Cambrian coast route to Maentwrog Road.

Then that traffic too ceased and the nuclear decommissioning traffic started up. Some track maintenance was then carried out over a period of weekends with numerous ballast trains working over the line. When traffic re-commenced, bogie barrier wagons and bogie brakes were used for several months until the line settled in again.

Edited by coachmann

Looking for some photos.

I have plenty of photos of 25's and 47's on the explosives train at Maentwrog Road but I have not seen any photos of a class 31 on the train at Maentwrog Road. 31's took over from the 25's in 1987 and I know that amongst others the following worked the explosive train:

Any photos out there please?

• Like 1

I have just looked through my photographic diary and found 31201 on gunpowder near Tal-Y-Cafn on 4/6/87. (31323 ran with nuclear flask the day after so they did share the route for a time). 

The majority of sightings were of Class 47's on gunpowder traffic after the demise of the 25's., whereas single Class 31's had moved in on the Trawsfynedd flask traffic.

Edited by coachmann

I have just looked through my photographic diary and found 31201 on gunpowder near Tal-Y-Cafn on 4/6/87. (31323 ran with nuclear flask the day after so they did share the route for a time). 

The majority of sightings were of Class 47's on gunpowder traffic after the demise of the 25's., whereas single Class 31's had moved in on the Trawsfynedd flask traffic.

Just found one of your prints in my collection, of those many rejects that you gave me many years ago. It is 31201 at Betws on 4/6/87 with the up train of 2 vans. My record shows it on the second but the print has clearly the fourth. I had forgotten the 31s arrived so early, a full 2years before they saw any passenger work on the line.

Hi Nick,

I have never seen a pic of a class 31 on the gunpowder traffic. But I did find this shot of Larry's in an old Rails Railfreight supplement. 31323 on a Flask.

I had a running session on Llanbourne today and thought why not run my model of 31323 on the gunpowder train I normally use a class 25 or 47. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-96328700-1514972272_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-31976800-1514972355_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-40115400-1514972450_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Nick,

I have never seen a pic of a class 31 on the gunpowder traffic. But I did find this shot of Larry's in an old Rails Railfreight supplement. 31323 on a Flask.

I saw the entry for that photo in my diary yesterday. I have been unable to print or scan any negs and trannies since going Windows10 (it didn't recognize my old scanner).

I like your layout. It has a purpose and must bring you hours of pleasure.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1