Those pics of the 24 shunting at Maentwrog are great - fab modelling :)
And I agree - that's the neatest fiddle yard I've ever seen! If only I was half that organised and tidy lol

Which day was it? 

I'm sure there was one in 1981... and again in 1985 ;)

I'm sure there was one in 1981... and again in 1985 ;)

No, it was a half day in 1985!

I see your location is Cardiff, I should be at the Cardiff small show next January with the layout.

• Like 4

No, it was a half day in 1985!

I see your location is Cardiff, I should be at the Cardiff small show next January with the layout.

Was that a whole half day? ;)

Great news re the Cardiff small show. All things being equal, I will be there too

So looking forward to seeing Maentwrog Rd in the flesh

PS. We cannot guarantee that it won't be raining in Cardiff in January! :)

This excellent layout is providing me with a mountain of inspiration for a project I've had in the planning stages for a while, thanks for sharing it's construction and the excellent photographs.

I recall seeing an image a while ago of the location with a DMU providing a shuttle service, maybe you could build a removable delightfully Heath Robinson platform to replicate this... :onthequiet:

J.

This excellent layout is providing me with a mountain of inspiration for a project I've had in the planning stages for a while, thanks for sharing it's construction and the excellent photographs.

I recall seeing an image a while ago of the location with a DMU providing a shuttle service, maybe you could build a removable delightfully Heath Robinson platform to replicate this... :onthequiet:

J.

Thanks for your kind comments. There was a temporary platform constructed over the siding when the explosives traffic finished. Have a look at Dave Sallery's page for a photo:

http://www.penmorfa.com/Conwy/eight.htm

Here is the Bedford van as used by the S&T lineman to maintain the ground frames in your period (1983-8)

Don't forget the roof rack.

attachicon.gifYCH625Y.jpg

Merf.

Here you go Merf, as you said "don't forget the roof rack" work in progress thanks to my talented friend Mark.

post-7968-0-03975700-1519666313.jpg

• Like 6

The 1T39 Special Press Run from Blaenau Ffestiniog is seen standing in the new platform constructed over the siding at Maentwrog Road on 17th July 1989 (hot sunny day!). Crosville Motors took the passengers forward to Trawsfynydd Nuclealr Power Station. A regular service commenced 23 July connecting with the Conwy Valley 'Sunday Shuttles' service....

post-6680-0-93216100-1519684321_thumb.jpg

While Maentwrog Road became the terminus for the first passenger trains on this ex. GWR branch since 1960, the 1990 service was an extended 'Sunday Shuttle" from Llandudno to Trawsfynydd . Such a train is seen passing the site of the removed wooden platform in Maentwrog Road goods yard on 21st July 1990...

post-6680-0-69520000-1519684281_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

The van now has mirrors. The mirrors and roof rack need painting and the front grille and bumpers need painting black. Numberplates will then be fitted. The photo of the van shows a 5 pence coin next to it to show how small it is.

post-7968-0-96673300-1519753941_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

The 1T39 Special Press Run from Blaenau Ffestiniog is seen standing in the new platform constructed over the siding at Maentwrog Road on 17th July 1989 (hot sunny day!). Crosville Motors...

Can't beat a Leyland Olympian either...

Thanks for sharing these images...

Nick, no need for the thanks, the standards of your layouts are something that I, and others I am sure, aspire to.

I look forward to seeing how the layout develops, and how any extensions to it come along.

I know you have chosen to model in a particular time period, but you must admit - for a rural branch line it's had a lot of different traffic; nuclear trains, explosive freight, charters, 153's, saloon / weedkiller workings to name but a few.

Forgive my lack of knowledge here, and I won't hijack this thread with questions, but was the explosives traffic on the branch sent to another location then forwarded by speedlink, or did it run to where needed just as is?

J.

• Like 2

I know you have chosen to model in a particular time period, but you must admit - for a rural branch line it's had a lot of different traffic; nuclear trains, explosive freight, charters, 153's, saloon / weedkiller workings to name but a few.

Forgive my lack of knowledge here, and I won't hijack this thread with questions, but was the explosives traffic on the branch sent to another location then forwarded by speedlink, or did it run to where needed just as is?

J.

There was a morning Speedlink to Valley & Holyhead and there was a morning Speedlink to Maentwrog Road initially. Economies were affected from 6th July 1987 in order to save a locomotive and crew when the two workings were combined. This was great for photographers like myself who could shoot the Conwy Valley trains in the afternoon instead of some ungodly hour of the morning!

On its return to Llandudno Junction, it was combined with other Speedlink traffic and went west to Chester where further re-marshalling took place.

Edited by coachmann

Wonderful project Nick, have enjoyed catching up........will follow with interest.

I read recently about some society being kicked off by Network Rail for dislodging stonework.???....was it this track..??

Bob

Thanks Bob

I read recently about some society being kicked off by Network Rail for dislodging stonework.???....was it this track..??

Yes it was this line Blaenau to Trawsfynydd...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...