That trio of vans are the sort I meant; they tried to make them inconspicuous, so there wasn't much in the way of lettering above the statutory requirements. 

But notice the diagonal orange stripe on the roof of them. I assume for identification from the air.

• Like 1

I started this thread and the research 13 months ago and I am still finding out new information and pictures. Thanks to everyone that has contributed and provided photos. I am about to embark on a 5 foot extension to the layout to model the nuclear flask unloading point at Trawsfynydd a mile further up the line I even have a exhibition booked for the layout in it's full 15 foot configuration I had better get my finger out! Any information or photos on this facility please add to this thread, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice picture, but the 24's had gone before the siding was laid in the 1980's, or is my memory going....again?

Your quite correct, last 24 withdrawn in October 1980, siding opened to traffic in June 1986. The photo is a bit of modellers licence. 

• Like 3

Your quite correct, last 24 withdrawn in October 1980, siding opened to traffic in June 1986. The photo is a bit of modellers licence. 

Still makes a cracking composition with lots of atmosphere Nick.

Very nice, I wish Heljan or someone would do a decent 24 in O Gauge now.

• Like 1

Still makes a cracking composition with lots of atmosphere Nick.

Very nice, I wish Heljan or someone would do a decent 24 in O Gauge now.

Thanks Andy, and I am hoping Heljan make a good job of the 25 in 00 so I can have the correct loco on that train.

• Like 1

Just had a catch up with thread, as I haven't visited it for a while. This is really looking great. A fantastic little layout, and beautifully modelled. I'm loving all the attention to detail, and the road vehicles. The rolling stock looks superb too.

I'm looking forward too seeing the planned extension taking shape.

Just had a catch up with thread, as I haven't visited it for a while. This is really looking great. A fantastic little layout, and beautifully modelled. I'm loving all the attention to detail, and the road vehicles. The rolling stock looks superb too.

I'm looking forward too seeing the planned extension taking shape.

Thank you. I have the boards for the extension (Laser cut) I just need to glue them together. I have the track, electrics etc also. Need a trip up to Trawsfynydd with John next month to take the photos for the back scene. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you are interested in the history of Cookes Explosives, I found a 45 minute (Sadly mute) film showing the day to day workings at the factory. There's a brief snippet of loading gunpowder wagons towards the end. Also some amizing inclines and ropeways too.

Sorry if someone's already posted this, I'd not noticed if they had.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-cookes-explosives-limited-an-account-of-explosives-manufacture-in-penrhyndeudraeth

TTFN,

Ben

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...