What has happened to Feature Layout Trackplans?

Martingchapman

I tend to agree (that the photos usually do the job).

If however the magazine ever becomes a fully fledged online product, rather than a reproduction of a physical magazine then other possibilities will arise. For example, a track plan could be accessed through a icon and open in a separate window, which can then be referred to whilst reading the article. And maybe the track plans could be accessed in a separate library, as an additional benefit of subscription.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have to say, I do like a track plan in general, however I think that I agree with Andy Y that if it is a small layout then an overall aerial view is almost as good.  Generally I like to be able to follow what goes where and work out how the pictures fit in to everything else.  A few times I've looked at pictures and wondered "how does that fit in with/link to this?" and a track plan helps.  It also gives a good impression of the overall layout which sometimes you don't get of it is a big layout and a limited number of images.  I think though that what it really comes down to is that I want context, whether that is a drawn plan or a photo which shows enough to do the same job.  Obviously, one looking down the length of a 25 foot long layout with depot, sidings, etc would be useless, but a shot from above of a 5 foot long shunting plank would usually give the same effect as a plan.

• 2 months later...