Reading HTj Coal Hopper

Willy

This car started life as a 3-rail Atlas 0-scale PRR USRA 55T Coal Hopper. I converted it to 2-rail and replaced the ‘K’ type brake gear with the ‘AB’ type. Apart from adding Kadee couplings I think perhaps it may need a bit more work?

Although these cars never carried the ‘speed lettering’ I wanted to see what it would look like with this livery!

post-7068-0-17975200-1500227772_thumb.jpg  
post-7068-0-59833100-1500227880_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hmmm.  The car was built in 1955 and the RDG started using the speed lettering in 1956, so it may have had speed lettering after a repaint, but without the herald.

Thank you for your comment Dave.

#73009 was built in September 1919 and the class were all scrapped by 1964. I couldn’t get the correct decals for this car so I used what I had with the intension of amending the build date before weathering but I forgot so I will patch it out later and add the correct date. This particular car, the 73009, was scrapped in 1959 and as you say, speed lettering wasn’t introduced until 1956 so it may not have carried this livery! 

​I have a photo of this car in the old “Roman lettering” and it carries the herald so I don’t have an issue with that.

post-7068-0-62095500-1500881511_thumb.jpg

Edited by Willy

I don`t know if you`ve seen this Blog on the Reading,but it`s quite interesting and he`s a O scaler (P48) as well.

He only models up to 1952,but there is some nice useful info anyway on the site,including this post about open hoppers with a download from a clinic that was given on modeling RDG hoppers from 48'-56'.(near the top)

http://www.shamokindivision.com/2010/11/06/reading-open-hopper-car-fleet-for-1952/

Brian.

I don`t know if you`ve seen this Blog on the Reading,but it`s quite interesting and he`s a O scaler (P48) as well.

He only models up to 1952,but there is some nice useful info anyway on the site,including this post about open hoppers with a download from a clinic that was given on modeling RDG hoppers from 48'-56'.(near the top)

http://www.shamokindivision.com/2010/11/06/reading-open-hopper-car-fleet-for-1952/

Brian.

I have this blog saved somewhere but to be honest I forgot all about it so thank you for the reminder.

By the way Brian, I like your ZKOs on your flickr page.

Edited by Willy

I have this blog saved somewhere but to be honest I forgot all about it so thank you for the reminder.

By the way Brian, I like your ZKOs on your flickr page.

No problem Willy,and glad you like`d the ZKO hopper`s as well.

As you can see i`m not a fan of prestine equipment for the most part....!!

Brian.