GWR & LNWR Pre-grouping 4mm locos workbench

8 hours ago, russell price said:

does anyone have photos of LNWR locos at Welshpool please or what would have run from Shrewsbury please

I can't find any which suggests that the LNWR might not have had running rights over the Cambrian into Welshpool though there were LNWR through carriages.  Which is the year in question?

14 hours ago, russell price said:

it has been published so shall see if I can find it. Just looking at Ifor Higgin s photos in a lightmoor press book and mums house is in clear view. The house became the property of the Carpenters and John Roberts all involved with the BCR

Many thanks- have most of the books for the BC and area but don't recall it.  I'm sure it's not in the latest Ifor Higgins book from Lightmoor unless it isn't captioned as a BCR loco?

8 hours ago, Brassey said:

I can't find any which suggests that the LNWR might not have had running rights over the Cambrian into Welshpool though there were LNWR through carriages.  Which is the year in question?

up to 1923 I suppose. Welshpool was the terminus of the GW/LNW joint line from Shrewsbury with the Cambrian coming in at Buttington and the lines running in parallel to Welshpool. Originally all the signalling and boxes were LNWR pattern however there is little evidence of what ran into Welshpool. Thanks

There was a regular service from Shrewsbury to Welshpool and in  LMS days some of Shrewsbury’s ex L&Y 0-6-0s were seen on the serviceand in BR days the  service was regularly hauled by Shrewsbury’s Fowler 2-6-4 tanks. The shed was still split into GWR and LMS ( ex LNWR) and these Welshpool services were from the LMS side, so presumably in LNWR days the shed would have provided 2-4-0s for the service.

David

There is a photo in Middleton Press' book 'Shrewsbury to Newtown' of a stopping train train from Welshpool to Shrewsbury comprising GWR coaches hauled by ex-LNWR 0-6-2T no. 27640 on 21st June 1947.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is a photograph of LNWR 2-2-2 approaching Shrewsbury coming off the Welshpool line at Sutton Bridge about 1882. This was part of Longsight No. 2 turn:

7.00am Manchester London Road to Cheadle

8.05am Cheadle to Manchester London Road

9.30am Manchester London Road to Crewe

10.45am Crewe to Stafford

12.45pm Stafford to Shrewsbury

2.25pm Shrewsbury to Welshpool

3.55pm Welshpool to Shrewsbury

5.35pm Shrewsbury to Crewe

7.18pm Crewe to Manchester London Road

Source HMRS Journal Volume 12 No 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, tanatvalley said:

There is a photograph of LNWR 2-2-2 approaching Shrewsbury coming off the Welshpool line at Sutton Bridge about 1882. This was part of Longsight No. 2 turn:

7.00am Manchester London Road to Cheadle

7.18pm Crewe to Manchester London Road

That's more than a 12-hour day, even excluding preparation and disposal. Is it known what the enginemen's arrangements were? I'm not sure of the state of the law at this date - the Consolidation Act of 1878 was a Factories Act and had various conditions applied to specific categories of workers.

Edited by Compound2632

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

That's more than a 12-hour day, even excluding preparation and disposal. Is it known what the enginemen's arrangements were? I'm not sure of the state of the law at this date - the Consolidation Act of 1878 was a Factories Act and had various conditions applied to specific categories of workers.

Loco crews often worked 14 hours a day. It was the increase in basic weekly hours from 60 to 66 in 1880 that led to the formation of ASLEF. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

IMG_2178.jpg.96b835e79d5e49e48ee8bd5f7ecf6297.jpg

Having got my LNWR SDX working without fouling the footplate (see blog), it still ran poorly so I replaced the LRM gearbox with the latest iteration of a High Level 2 stage gearbox (RRCompact).

Here is a weird selfie I ended up with whilst trying to check nothing was fouling on the opposite side whilst it was on the rolling road.  Also checking the brakes were not fouling.  Eagle-eyed will spot that I still have not fitted the blower valve on this side despite John of LRM sending me a replacement months ago.

Elsewhere on here, it was stated that High Level gearboxes worked well "straight out the box"!  They don't come in a box; you have to fold up the flat etches.  So I took a pic during this build for anyone interested. Here's how the 2 part etches fold up:

IMG_2177.jpg.0503410e6a941511e6af05aa168f6bd9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Coal Tank said:

Looking good, how's the layout going

John 

Thanks for asking John, 

The track is ballasted but not weathered.  Also numerous cosmetic chairs yet to added before weathering.  Platforms are in and start has been made on other scenic elements.  

Currently dismantling though in preparation for a move as my daughter is swapping bedrooms.  Whilst it is in bits I am hoping to get to the far side of the layout to complete the scenic work on that side which will be a lot easier than when it is hard up against a wall!

In between time, I still have a mountain of stock to build.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, drduncan said:

I think (but am not sure) that the 42 footers were non corridor so I can’t see how it would be used for staff accommodation. 

Duncan

You overlook the WCJS vehicles built in 1893 for the original 2 pm "Corridor". By 1907 (I think that was the date in question for this through working to Merthyr), might these have been transferred to the LNWR, being displaced from the Anglo-Scottish trains by more modern stock?

Edited by Compound2632

• 2 months later...

The Christmas break has seen some progress on the BR0 Barnum, but I've also been distracted by other things...

IMG_2286.jpg.fbdfbc889ca6248a8d6f0564148fc229.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg.73e41bba70d44e6c47ed784dcbb07560.jpg

It's not the correct tender, the Barnum has a 3,000 gal version which is next on the todo list.

The saddle tank is an old Wills kit.  I put the two halves of the boiler together about 35 years ago but did little else with it.  The bunker and the upper fittings are just put in place for photography 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Well that woke me up :).  Beautiful locos. 

The 1854 footplate top must have been your own work, I think? (and the chassis of course).

Yes the footplate is scratch but the chassis is a Martin Finney etch and the Chimney is also MF

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2 January 2020 at 11:13, drduncan said:

Did you cut away the excess white metal and put in the lower part of the boiler to get some daylight under there?

drduncan

Hi Duncan,  

Yes I did cut away the white metal quite a long time ago but only recently put half a boiler under there.  The chassis is a Martin Finney for which I have the inside valve gear so I trust this will be visible after the effort. This build is currently on the back burner as I have discovered that Brassmasters sell the rear springs for an 1854 that go inside the cab so I want to get hold of some of them before I fit the bunker.

In the meantime much progress has been made with the correct 3,000 gal tender for the Barnum.

IMG_2293.jpg.722c70e2535a80a870cddbd7a0e12fa5.jpg

This is the Mallard tender that came with the kit but now has a High Level Dean chassis.  This is fully compensated:

IMG_2292.jpg.ffef399098e1449cd3746d8f1baa4488.jpg

A lot more to do including the brakes and scoop

Edited by Brassey
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2017 at 20:04, Brassey said:

post-13283-0-94051400-1501786639_thumb.jpg

It features a modified High Level 14xx chassis and an old Sagami motor, which just fits, rescued from the now partly dismantled M&L model.  And it all seems to come together. 

post-13283-0-41030400-1501786861_thumb.jpg

I've tightened up the crankpin nut since.

Would you use the Highlevel chassis for a short wheelbase, inside bearings 517?  I've got 1426 which needs a new chassis and I can't decide whether to rebuild the existing Gibson chassis or use a Highlevel 14xx and shorten the frames between the rear driver and carrying axle.