Yorkshire Engine Company Janus - model and prototype

Looking good.

Pretty sure that I've still got some small white BSC logos that I had made up a while back, like this;

post-6861-0-67237800-1500845533.jpg

I might have a couple of different sizes suitable for a cab side. I'll have a look tomorrow Dave and let you know. If I have got any you'll be more than welcome to have a few.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My model arrived today and runs quite well and when I took the body of, no flywheel at the far end of the motor, just the smaller coupling driveshaft flywheel. The body was also loose on the chassis, just needed the screws tightening. Does not say much for the quality control at the factory.

Now looking for photos of the 2 delivered new to Littleton Colliery, particularly whether they were delivered with red buffer beams.

Any thoughts on a P4 conversion?

David

Hi

BTW, I note you've ordered some plates from Narrow Planet, are they a custom order? I couldn't find them on their website.

Hi Arthur. Thanks for the offer of the logos; I'll PM you. The Yorkhire stuff isn't on NP's website yet but gpplumy of this forum has had some Yorkshire, AEI and horse (The Yorkshire Grey) plates made in 7mm and they can be ordered in any size. Another chap has had BTH plates made to order and these can also be done on request.

I notice that the Janus which was trailed on BR was painted in a dark green with yellow bufferbeams. A photo is in Colin Marsdens book on the BR Diesel Shunter, unfortunately I don't have a copy. I understand that the loco was trailed in the Sheffield area. Was the dark green colour used on any other Janus locos?

David

I notice that the Janus which was trailed on BR was painted in a dark green with yellow bufferbeams. A photo is in Colin Marsdens book on the BR Diesel Shunter, unfortunately I don't have a copy. I understand that the loco was trailed in the Sheffield area. Was the dark green colour used on any other Janus locos?

David

Dark Green was the house colours for the ones at BSC Orgreave, there are a few pictures available on Flickr or mine on the Oxford Janus thread!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105523-oxford-diecastgolden-valley-ye-janus-0-6-0de/page-2

Mark Saunders

David

AFAIK it was Scunthorpe No.4 that was trialled with BR

• 2 weeks later...

Have started a repaint on my Janus. I have used BR Loco green as I have been told its a good match for the Yorkshire Engine green. Could not get the glazing out so had to mask it.

The model will be the loco that was trialed on BR, so I need to fit a headlamp just below the exhaust flaps at both ends.post-20690-0-55541400-1502099403_thumb.jpg

The end handrails need modifying as they are different from the model.

David

• Like 9

Whist scrutinising photos of the class it is clear that the coupling rods are massive and unusually for an RTR model the rods are a bit on the thin side. Usually model rods are over scale and require some scale rods but in this case needs beefier ones.

We will have to see what can be done for some replacements.

David

I beefed up the crank pin boss' with plasticard discs fitted behind the crankpin nuts as outlined part way down this post. It doesn't address the too slim rods but gives an improvement with the crankpin boss.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124596-golden-valley-janus-modifications-and-repaint/?p=2809804

• 3 weeks later...

I have progressed my Janus, now with the slot in the front bufferbeam filled in, bufferbeams resparayed, 3 link couplings fitted, given a light weathering.

I now need to decide what livery/markings to give the loco, or I might leave it as is and asume its the Yorkshire Engine demonstrator out on loan. From the only photo I have seen this had no markings or numbers applied.

post-20690-0-61030200-1504169226_thumb.jpg

post-20690-0-54200400-1504169251_thumb.jpgpost-20690-0-54200400-1504169251_thumb.jpg

David

• Like 13

• 2 months later...

going to be doing this loco myself but as DE2 in the british steel appleby green livery

I have progressed my Janus, now with the slot in the front bufferbeam filled in, bufferbeams resparayed, 3 link couplings fitted, given a light weathering.

I now need to decide what livery/markings to give the loco, or I might leave it as is and asume its the Yorkshire Engine demonstrator out on loan. From the only photo I have seen this had no markings or numbers applied.

attachicon.gifIMG_1207.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1208.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1208.JPG

David

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

With the introduction of the various industrial locomotive kits and ready to run models, including the Janus, I have started to put the official brochures and other useful stuff on Flikr - a search on that site for "Yorkshire Engine Brochure" will take you to the growing collection of images, or try https://www.flickr.com/photos/64619687@N02/albums/with/72157688290397962

The scanning at 600DPI and uploading takes a bit of time, so it will be a gradual process, and I can not find out who, if anyone, owns the copyright to the material I possess, so that could put the brakes on it too in the future.  However, having bought this stuff, and knowing some of it is quite rare, there seems little point in it gathering dust when it might be of use and interest to others.  Hopefully it will prompt the dusting off other items which have been salted away down the years.  Enjoy.

• RMweb Premium

If this is a Janus, then I have quite a few photos including a lot of cab shots if they are of interest?

This is preserved by The Stainmore Railway Company at Kirkby Stephen East in Cumbria.

It is a Janus, ex Stanton Iron Works; details about half way down this page http://www.kirkbystepheneast.co.uk/Stainmore_Railway_Diesels.html

If you have any cab shots, I for one would love to see them Rob.

Regards

Moxy

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

With the introduction of the various industrial locomotive kits and ready to run models, including the Janus, I have started to put the official brochures and other useful stuff on Flikr - a search on that site for "Yorkshire Engine Brochure" will take you to the growing collection of images, or try https://www.flickr.com/photos/64619687@N02/albums/with/72157688290397962

The scanning at 600DPI and uploading takes a bit of time, so it will be a gradual process, and I can not find out who, if anyone, owns the copyright to the material I possess, so that could put the brakes on it too in the future.  However, having bought this stuff, and knowing some of it is quite rare, there seems little point in it gathering dust when it might be of use and interest to others.  Hopefully it will prompt the dusting off other items which have been salted away down the years.  Enjoy.

Many thanks for posting those.

Attention Mr. Edge - DE4 kit? - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64619687@N02/24145155207/in/album-72157690915110785/