Yorkshire Engine Company Janus - model and prototype

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's another one that I have resprayed. It's based on the locos at UES Aldwarke rolling mills. It's pretty much the same as the other one that I striped but in a proper shade of yellow and with yellow cab, instead of black. Since taking the photo I have added the running number 32, in white on a black square. The YORKSHIRE plates on the engine compartments are now proper nickel silver etches and the chassis has been fitted with a second flywheel.

post-494-0-96223000-1527855489.jpg

After posting photos of the other one I was asked, by someone on here, if I'd paint his loco into this particular livery and a price was agreed but instead of painting the chap's own loco I said that I would paint my own other loco and let him know when it was done. He was going to come and collect in person, swap bodies onto chassis and I would take his loco body in part exchange. Despite my sending a message to say that the loco is ready, around a forthight ago, he hasn't responded.

As my interests have moved more toward late Victorian and Edwardian industrials, this loco is now surplus to requirements, so I am going to sell it outright if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

Here's another one that I have resprayed. It's based on the locos at UES Aldwarke rolling mills. It's pretty much the same as the other one that I striped but in a proper shade of yellow and with yellow cab, instead of black. Since taking the photo I have added the running number 32, in white on a black square. The YORKSHIRE plates on the engine compartments are now proper nickel silver etches and the chassis has been fitted with a second flywheel.

attachicon.gifYERH-002.jpg

After posting photos of the other one I was asked, by someone on here, if I'd paint his loco into this particular livery and a price was agreed but instead of painting the chap's own loco I said that I would paint my own other loco and let him know when it was done. He was going to come and collect in person, swap bodies onto chassis and I would take his loco body in part exchange. Despite my sending a message to say that the loco is ready, around a forthight ago, he hasn't responded.

As my interests have moved more toward late Victorian and Edwardian industrials, this loco is now surplus to requirements, so I am going to sell it outright if anyone is interested.

Pm sent!

• 1 year later...
On 22/07/2017 at 14:19, Andy Y said:

I really do like this shot which will be very useful in due course:

post-494-0-43207500-1500668180.jpg

Green front from a different loco to reduce the masking plus open access panel which means I'll have to do a dummy engine like the Sentinel. Flashing hazards too!

Did you model this, Andy?

The reason I've been looking through this topic again is that I'm looking for a post where someone posted several scans of Yorkshire Engine Co. diesel brochures, which included drawings of each type. I thought it may be in here but it isn't and the search isn't turning up anything so far. Can anyone help?

9 hours ago, Ruston said:

The reason I've been looking through this topic again is that I'm looking for a post where someone posted several scans of Yorkshire Engine Co. diesel brochures, which included drawings of each type. I thought it may be in here but it isn't and the search isn't turning up anything so far. Can anyone help?

i have the copies i think and 2 of the actual brochures

11 hours ago, Ruston said:

It is on Flickr Dave,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64619687@N02/albums

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Has anyone sourced a supply of spares for Golden Valley products, and is there a 3D print/brass/whitemetal casting for the distinctive engine access panel catches?

Mike.

Likewise has anyone found a replacement motor that just drops in the existing mount?

Mark Saunders

Hey Mike,

I don't know of any. During my research for mine, I found this thread where James suggests using 2mm handrail knobs for the door catches. This is what I was gonnna try - nbrass 2mm has some in stock (handrail knobs that is). 

Its been a while while since I was researching this so they might be other options?

https://westhalton.wordpress.com/tag/janus/

J

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I'm seriously tempted by Hatton's ICI bundle. However I mainly model the 1980s BR blue period. 

Having searched high and low, could anyone enlighten me of any more prototype information for this version of the loco? I'm specifically looking for:

- where it operated

- dates it operated

- what wagons it would have pulled internally. 

- I'm presuming that a BR loco would have brought a trip freight and then the Janus would have moved the wagons around the internal system. 

Many thanks 

• RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2017 at 16:06, Rob Pulham said:

Apologies for the delay in posting these. Cab shots as requested.

20846339461_06e9c44c40_b.jpg

20846337591_66508f0428_b.jpg

20839200975_1e57f25a74_b.jpg

20651147460_1977c4fb68_b.jpg

20216582254_3f02b6c0d0_b.jpg

20651194578_76764e859e_b.jpg

20652537179_d901769348_b.jpg

Is that a separate power handle for each engine? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m fairly certain that the controls are duplicated so you can drive from either side.

looks like its the Janus at Kirkby Stephen, I drove it for a fiver at their model railway day -  beast of a loco.  it was a very enjoyable day, hope its repeated, I could even bring a layout.

1 hour ago, SeanG said:

That link is great thank you very much. 

I note that tanks and hoppers seemed to be used - which type would these be? Would the Oxford Rail 7 plank wagons be too early for the 80s?

Many thanks 

Some of the wagons to be seen in the 1980s https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=folly lane

Others went there more often to observe the wagons - very easily seen. I never saw a loco on any of the trips I did.

Paul

4 hours ago, russ p said:

Is that a separate power handle for each engine? 

each of the handles are joined to eachother inside the desk by linkages, move one brake/throttle/direction and the other moves as well controlling both engines.

Edited by gpplumy
  • Informative/Useful 2

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 16:32, ailg8048 said:

That and the Bristol Railways Archive (http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page) are two sites that I find really interesting even thought he actual areas are not of interest to me!

Stu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great to see all the Janus action on this page.  I'm well on the way with one from Mike Edge's kit and I'm starting to think about painting and finishing.  I have a couple of questions which I hope you lot can help me out with.

The loco I'm building is one of the PLA fleet, as running in the mid/late sixties.  The specific loco had BTH electrical gear.  I'd really like to see a close up photo of the relevant combined builders plate that was originally fitted on the valance below the cab side sheets.  Paul Bartlett's photo set shows the version fitted with AEI electrical gear.

My other ask is, as a newcomer to industrial diesels,  can someone please recommend suitable wasp strip decals for the buffer beam and radiator surround, incuding the wrap around?

Thanks in advance.

Vernon

20200725_093923.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I use Fox wasp stripe transfers but they would be a lot easier to apply if you hadn't put the lifting/jacking brackets on. I always leave everything off the buffer beams until it's painted if I have to do wasp stripes. Very nice job so far, thanks for posting this.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I use Fox wasp stripe transfers but they would be a lot easier to apply if you hadn't put the lifting/jacking brackets on. I always leave everything off the buffer beams until it's painted if I have to do wasp stripes. Very nice job so far, thanks for posting this.

Thanks Mike.  I take your point about the brackets.  Trouble is, having got them on I think I'd need a blowtorch to remove them!

Regards, 

Vernon