Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Henry Bousher

brightspark

I'm sad to report that Henry Bousher has passed away.

I only knew Henry for a couple of years and found that being in his company added sparkle to the day. His enthusiasm for LSWR was particularly infectious, especially when he cried out with joy at seeing a long train of Salmon and Chocolate stock hauled by Mr Adams finest, "Now that just SCREAMS London & South Western!".

Cheers Henry.

I received the following obituary from Mike Day.

Henry Bousher died on Saturday 8th July, after many years of being frequently unwell.  I am glad, however that he made it into his eighties, and was still an active member of many model railway activities, particularly Southwark Bridge.

I only knew him for 26 or 27 years or so, which pales into insignificance when compared to the South Western Circle and the Epsom and Ewell MRS to which Henry was an active member for over 50 years.  Our Southwark Bridge grew from the research Henry did thirty or forty years ago for the first model of this name.  In fact, we are still completing the gas works for which we have some of his original models.  Some of these have been replaced by 3D printed efforts, and some show his original painstaking work.  We still have things to show him that were his brainchild, but we have built too late.

His enthusiasm did not wane even when he was really quite ill, but still managed the drive down the A3 to deepest Hampshire.  We shall remember him for his generosity and deep knowledge of the railway, but always for that boyish enthusiasm.

MIke

• RMweb Gold

I knew Henry via the South Western Circle and also his involvement in the fantastic Southwalk Bridge LSWR P4 layout headed by Mike Day the current SWC chairman and mentioned above.

I also enjoyed his humour (white roofs!) enthusiasm and knowledge of all things LSWR and spent a great day operating Southwalk Bridge layout earlier this year with Henry as my guide and I learnt so much from him about the LSWR rolling stock passing by that day I wished it had never ended.

Rest in Peace Henry!  

I knew Henry for some 35 years, as a fellow member of the South Western Circle and operator on Southwark Bridge.  Indeed, I took over North Yard from H and had to suffer his disparaging comments when we reached move 20 and I couldn't send the tail traffic to platform line 6 because the loco coal train was parked on the exit road with nowhere to go.  I will truly miss him. 

Bill

I was still at school when I first joined the Epsom & Ewell Model Railway Club and at that time Henry was one of those constructing Nonsuch Junction.  I was in total awe of the modelling skills of this group and will always be grateful for the fact they were prepared to share their experience with a young novice.

Somewhere I have some photographs of the exquisite signals he built for the Club's 00 layouts which I would like to have posted here, unfortunately I've not yet been able to find them.

Edited by bude_branch
  • Like 3

• 5 years later...
On 22/07/2017 at 17:59, bude_branch said:

Somewhere I have some photographs of the exquisite signals he built for the Club's 00 layouts which I would like to have posted here, unfortunately I've not yet been able to find them.

Well, I'm afraid it's taken me five years but I eventually found what I was looking for:

24879533_HenryBousher-EEMRCSignals.jpg.85f4a3f80db5442258b012ad766b4c7f.jpg

These are all LSWR signals that Henry built for Nonsuch, the Epsom & Ewell Model Railway Club's 4mm scale Southern Layout.

From left to right, the Loop Up Starters, the Down Main Outer Home and the Up Main Starters.  These were of soldered construction and built from scratch, mainly in brass with a few white metal castings.

The pictures come from an article published in Model Railway Constructor in November 1963.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1