Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

• RMweb Gold

Partly influenced by this thread, I tidied an area of my workbench yesterday evening. It needed doing anyway so I could test my current project, a 21mm [3ft gauge in 7mm scale] Ruston 48DS chassis I'm building. This project can have its own thread if anyone's interested.

It passed the test. Since then I've been soldering up the pickups and brake gear. The workbench is now back to how it was before!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That worktop is Homes and Gardens tidy compared to mine, which I am too ashamed of to photograph, Dava.

• RMweb Premium

That worktop is Homes and Gardens tidy compared to mine, which I am too ashamed of to photograph, Dava.

That was the workbench area in tidy state. As soon as I start working it gets cluttered with files, soldering irons, clamps etc which spring from nowhere. As it is now!

Difficult week personally for me due to a physical health issue meaning I had to spend a day in hospital, with another round of tests now coming up. Has all had an impact and the black dog has reared again :( On a positive note though, hoping that this weekend will offer the opportunity for some modelling chat with my uncle at a family get together. I always find time with him uplifting due to his boundless enthusiasm for his o gauge railway!! Normally inspires me to get on with some planning of future projects :) I hope others who contribute here have had a more positive week!

• RMweb Gold

Finding something that helps is a massive boost, no matter how big or small.

It goes to show how different we all are and why it will always be so difficult to pinpoint a definitive solution to our battles – I’m not someone that enjoys discussing things therefore CBT, after five or six sessions, wasn’t very productive unfortunately.  I was subsequently referred back to my GP and am currently on my fourth variation of medication; it’s a long process which often feels like you’re left clutching at straws.

I’m fortunate that the operating and photographing of my micro layout offers a welcome relief of an evening!

Yesterday I had my appointment at the Sleep Disorder Centre confirmed (my insomnia thought to be intertwined with the depression) - an overnight stay under observation will be interesting...  Unfortunately the soonest follow-up appointment isn't until November, but having gone so long the body has adjusted; I'm sure another couple of months won't be an issue.

Travelling over the summer with work has meant I’ve seen little of the 'layout', but did manage a shot I was pleased with a couple of days ago.  Sat down for an hour or two last night to try again but struggled getting the lighting right and after a hundred or so tries I had to leave it alone for my sanity.

Here's to a good weekend of modelling.

Although I have my "modelling mojo" at the moment, the priority modelling jobs all involve soldering and it's too hot to turn the iron on!

Now got about 2/3 of the main panel done, though testing has revealed a few issues that need resolving (none of the point motors work on one board, for a start!).

Also managed to sort out a problem with a point not sitting flat due to an un-countersunk screw that has somehow survived 10 years and two house moves without me noticing it!

Yesterday I had my appointment at the Sleep Disorder Centre confirmed (my insomnia thought to be intertwined with the depression) - an overnight stay under observation will be interesting... Unfortunately the soonest follow-up appointment isn't until November, but having gone so long the body has adjusted; I'm sure another couple of months won't be an issue.

Travelling over the summer with work has meant I’ve seen little of the 'layout', but did manage a shot I was pleased with a couple of days ago. Sat down for an hour or two last night to try again but struggled getting the lighting right and after a hundred or so tries I had to leave it alone for my sanity.

Here's to a good weekend of modelling.

I hope you feel better for the appointment and at least the ball is rolling and things are hopefully moving forward. Getting enough sleep and rest is a huge thing, it's been called a natural healer hasn't it. We all need downtime and need to get off the relentless treadmill that is life sometimes, take a step back and relax. It can be hugely beneficial. I hope your next appointment, when it does arrive, proves to be a stepping stone in moving forward.

It's sometimes about little victories and that shot of your layout looks great! Have you got a topic here on RM Web, as I would love to see more of it?

Take care,

David

• Like 2

I hope you feel better for the appointment and at least the ball is rolling and things are hopefully moving forward. Getting enough sleep and rest is a huge thing, it's been called a natural healer hasn't it. We all need downtime and need to get off the relentless treadmill that is life sometimes, take a step back and relax. It can be hugely beneficial. I hope your next appointment, when it does arrive, proves to be a stepping stone in moving forward.

It's sometimes about little victories and that shot of your layout looks great! Have you got a topic here on RM Web, as I would love to see more of it?

Take care,

David

Just noticed your location, if want a bit more support than can be achieved on here or just to talk trains, put the world to rights, whatever, I'll see what I can do.

I’ve now got 4 days off. My plan is to chill and play trains today & tomorrow. Then Monday and Tuesday to complete the ballasting, if the weather allows. The mojo is slowly creeping back but I’m waiting for something to happen to ruin it for me.

Big James

Now got about 2/3 of the main panel done, though testing has revealed a few issues that need resolving (none of the point motors work on one board, for a start!).

Also managed to sort out a problem with a point not sitting flat due to an un-countersunk screw that has somehow survived 10 years and two house moves without me noticing it!

Well, found out why two of the point motors didn't work - I haven't put motors on those two points yet!

• RMweb Gold

It's the heat, man.

The heats affected my modelling time, I’ve had modelling block the last three months, only managed a handful of sessions over summer, each session has been about track replacement. Finally with the last two days the heats dropped I’ve finally had some “play time”.

• RMweb Premium

Back to work tomorrow so need to re-engage 'professional' mojo.

Meanwhile the 21mm gauge Ruston 48DS now has the sub assemblies completed with the bonnet being made yesterday. All ready to solder them together. It has trundled along the test track a few times.

post-14654-0-48125700-1534067483_thumb.jpeg

It's a few years since I built an etched loco kit, this one is not very big or complex though I did scratchbuild the chassis. Even so it's taken me 3 weeks to get this far. Quite pleasing to see the result as being a recognizable resemblance of ED10.

post-14654-0-48125700-1534067483_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

When you've had a month of summer visitors (and it's lovely to see them), but space has to be made in the house and a certain amount of tidying means the workshop is full to the door! The middle section of the layout I am working on is on the high bench at the back. I just have to bite the bullet and have another big clearout, but we have a small traditional cottage so it is difficult to find room for even a few new things! The de-clutterers advise us to dispose of an older item to replace the new - never had that discipline! I find I have intense periods in leisure and work interspersed with down time and sometimes you just have to go with the flow, to keep sane. I have a tendency to be working on lots of projects at the same time - a habit carried over from being self-employed for most of my professional life. Modelmaking is the part of me which likes its own space and time to focus.

Marlyn

post-33019-0-75283200-1534070619_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks Dava and Bill_J - they were actually made as part of a business enterprise by pupils of Farr High School in Bettyhill. Very well made in 1/12 scale. I will be creating period interiors for both - another project in the long list!! Possibly for display in our local heritage centre, if there is room.

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Take care,

David

Thank you, David; much appreciated.  Little victories indeed, no matter what context.

I did start a Topic, which can be seen here; it became redundant of course once I started speaking to Chris Nevard however it shows I had every intention to do the work myself!

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with 'people like us' is that our victories are always little, diminished by our own subconscious minds, belittled and somehow 'don't count'.  But a defeat, that's different; they're real, all of them, and not little at all.  

We need to be convincing ourselves that the victories are big and the defeats less important.  A victory is a victory, and important if you have self esteem issues; we need valediction and positivity more than 'norms', and should take as much of it as we can whenever it appears.

• Like 3

I've been wanting to extend my railway slightly to let me have a couple of extra sidings and a carriage road for my terminus.

Simples - couple of bits of ply, 2 long 2x1 and 3 short 2x1 cross members and some screws.

Progress is finding the screws, buying some track and imagining the outcome, then reimagining the outcome, then thinking so more about the outcome followed by more thinking, I think you get the drift.

The commonsense part of my brain is shouting 'For God's sake Julian, it's just 5 pieces of wood' the emotional side is saying but it won't be straight, it'll tip over the railway (no it won't if it has leg support(s))

When you are your own worst enemy eh!

I've been wanting to extend my railway slightly to let me have a couple of extra sidings and a carriage road for my terminus.

Simples - couple of bits of ply, 2 long 2x1 and 3 short 2x1 cross members and some screws.

Progress is finding the screws, buying some track and imagining the outcome, then reimagining the outcome, then thinking so more about the outcome followed by more thinking, I think you get the drift.

The commonsense part of my brain is shouting 'For God's sake Julian, it's just 5 pieces of wood' the emotional side is saying but it won't be straight, it'll tip over the railway (no it won't if it has leg support(s))

When you are your own worst enemy eh!

I (and no doubt so many others) can completely empathise with that. The fear of failure is overwhelming and evokes inertia in me. As with anything anxiety related, it is constanly worrying about things and imagining outcomes, 95% of which will never happen.

The trouble with 'people like us' is that our victories are always little, diminished by our own subconscious minds, belittled and somehow 'don't count'. But a defeat, that's different; they're real, all of them, and not little at all.

We need to be convincing ourselves that the victories are big and the defeats less important. A victory is a victory, and important if you have self esteem issues; we need valediction and positivity more than 'norms', and should take as much of it as we can whenever it appears.

Very true.... something today which should have been a real positive for my modelling I have turned into a negative through my own warped mindset. I keep telling myself this is supposed to be a hobby, for fun and release from real life matters, so why do those of us who suffer in such ways beat ourselves up given any opportunity...

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes it's better just to do something without thinking too much. My sole bit of modelling today was mocking up a 21mm gauge axle guard out of thin card to fit over a Slaters 17mm wheelset. Why? Well I will make them out of Aluminium sheet and I need to get the dimensions right, so it's better to make the mistakes in postcard not Aluminium. The card goes in the recycling bin.

I waste a lot of time looking for things and being on here . The dividing line between being wrong or failing and success is narrow and so long as I am at least 51% of the time succeeding it's ok.

Philosophy over...

Dava

Bang on Dava, do "something without thinking too much" should be almost a mantra in this hobby. 

I had the good misfortune to destroy my artery and tendon in my left hand last Christmas, and have been struggling to get back to "normal". I've been with scalpel, ruler and soldering iron since I was 14, and those numbers have almost reversed now, and the amount of things I've avoided attempt, solely because of this injury is ridiculous. There have been scenarios where product has come in from China where a minor item needs correction, many hundreds, and I've gone and sorted it with traditional modelling, without even thinking. 

There's no doubt that the "strive for progress, rather than perfection" as intimated above, is a solid goal to aim for the majority of modellers. Much of modelling is about mental well being, relaxing, learning, as is the community aspect of fora or clubs. Seriously, only a lunatic would consider doing this for a living? 

RM

Sometimes it's better just to do something without thinking too much. My sole bit of modelling today was mocking up a 21mm gauge axle guard out of thin card to fit over a Slaters 17mm wheelset. Why? Well I will make them out of Aluminium sheet and I need to get the dimensions right, so it's better to make the mistakes in postcard not Aluminium. The card goes in the recycling bin.

I waste a lot of time looking for things and being on here . The dividing line between being wrong or failing and success is narrow and so long as I am at least 51% of the time succeeding it's ok.

Philosophy over...

Dava

As ever you're right Dava... philosophise away, sometimes you need to be told what is logical from an outside source! I'm increasingly of the opinion that time on here is not wasted, particualrly if it provides a social/communal outlet, albeit a virtual one, rallying against isolation.

End of a heavy working week and to be honest I feel completely physically and mentally exhausted. I doubt I'll do any practical modelling over the weekend but maybe some planning/daydreaming may provide a release from the dog... let's hope so at least!