Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

How to get your mojo back...

What do you like doing best (no, not that , a modelling activity)?

Put everything else aside and do a bit of that. Build a kit, paint a loco, weather a building, do a bit of back scene etc etc

• Like 2

I'll bet most of today's members of this forum are RTR collectors, so do they loose their box opening mojo?  While my modelling mojo is having a sabbatical, I am enjoying tipping RTR onto the desk and admiring the detail.

It's nice to be looked down on Coach, depression, anxiety or mojo is nothing to do with whether you are a RTR modeller or a highly skilled model maker.

It's sad because I really rated your modelling and your endeavours to create a piece of your past and I found it inspiring.

Give me strength! This is a modelling forum, not a maudlin forum.

I make a comment about what I do when I loose the modelling mojo and someone tries to make it personal about them!     :banghead:

I make a comment about what I do when I loose the modelling mojo and someone tries to make it personal about them!     :banghead:

Didn’t you just make a rather broad assumption about ‘most’ people on this forum in a rather judgemental manner? So not strictly true that you were just making a comment about what you do. No-one is forcing you to mix with cretins such as us.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Off to Guildex tomorrow with a list. I will not buy any loco kits but expect to place an order for a Minerva Manning Wardle.

Thanks to those who've made suggestions re DCC, I hope to make contact with the East Mids group or someone else who can advise me.

No modelling likely for a while with work & being away. I set up the GCR 'Bridge' layout at the Soar Valley show yesterday evening and continued the ongoing scenic titivation. Our Canal Bridge appeal has passed GBP250,000 or over half way. It's nice to see a practical result from the fundraising campaign.

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't wish to be drawn into a debate about this, Mr Coachmann sir; you are a very established modeller whose work and whose magazine articles I respect highly.  But I would suggest, as gently and respectfully as possible, to you that there are different levels of modelling ability, and not all of us can aspire to yours.  If I may also point out, equally gently and respectfully, that loss of 'mojo', a thing you have experienced yourself in respect of 'Carrog', may for some folks be part of a broader issue concerning depression and other similar mental illnesses; it is not a function of modelling skill or ability.

As a sufferer myself, I can assure you that one of the most distressing things is to be told by someone who doesn't (and to be fair can perhaps not be expected to; we don't have a guaranteed right to be understood or sympathised with just because we have an 'issue', and have to take responsibility for our behaviour and conditions) understand the problem that one is being 'maudlin' or somehow needs to 'pull oneself together'.  I am sure you did not mean to upset anyone; you don't come over as that sort of bloke by and large.  Modelling can, when it is going well. be a very useful source of positivity and improver of one's self regard, but it is a double-edged blade, and only confirms our uselessness and reinforces negativity when it it isn't going well, which is usually because the black dog is snapping at your heels anyway.

I don't want you to walk a mile in my shoes.  Actually, I don't want anyone to, least of all myself; it's 'orrible!

Believe me, I know whereof I speak; my current backscene project, the 3rd attempt to get it right, is currently at a standstill waiting for me to be in the right head place before I do more damage.

• Like 2

I don't wish to be drawn into a debate about this, Mr Coachmann sir; you are a very established modeller whose work and whose magazine articles I respect highly. But I would suggest, as gently and respectfully as possible, to you that there are different levels of modelling ability, and not all of us can aspire to yours. If I may also point out, equally gently and respectfully, that loss of 'mojo', a thing you have experienced yourself in respect of 'Carrog', may for some folks be part of a broader issue concerning depression and other similar mental illnesses; it is not a function of modelling skill or ability.

As a sufferer myself, I can assure you that one of the most distressing things is to be told by someone who doesn't (and to be fair can perhaps not be expected to; we don't have a guaranteed right to be understood or sympathised with just because we have an 'issue', and have to take responsibility for our behaviour and conditions) understand the problem that one is being 'maudlin' or somehow needs to 'pull oneself together'. I am sure you did not mean to upset anyone; you don't come over as that sort of bloke by and large. Modelling can, when it is going well. be a very useful source of positivity and improver of one's self regard, but it is a double-edged blade, and only confirms our uselessness and reinforces negativity when it it isn't going well, which is usually because the black dog is snapping at your heels anyway.

I don't want you to walk a mile in my shoes. Actually, I don't want anyone to, least of all myself; it's 'orrible!

Believe me, I know whereof I speak; my current backscene project, the 3rd attempt to get it right, is currently at a standstill waiting for me to be in the right head place before I do more damage.

I agree with nearly all of that...

Let's try and keep this thread positive though and a "pick me up' for those of us who need it......

I was disappointed not to get to Telford over the weekend but hope, for those 7mm scale modellers who did, it provided a boost to the old mojo! :)

• Like 3

Got my 'cretinus mojo' back a lot after visiting the Garden railway show yesterday, i'm a lot lighter in the pocket after buying the bits i needed for my live steam loco' I saw some great layouts, great stalls and saw some well known faces hanging around :)  I met up with some good friends, all which helped me a have a good 'positive' not negative day out. :) Not saying that retail therapy works in the long term, it soon wears off! Unless you have unlimited wealth stashed away? It do's seem to help keep certain folks seemingly endlessly happy!   :derisive:

• RMweb Gold

NICE!!

This is why new and/or returning modellers become reluctant to ask questions for fear of being shot down in flames

Fortunately there are many users on here that offer positive help and guidance to help with ones mojo

Edited by chuffinghell

I've been following this topic/thread from the beginning, and although 

I'm not a 'black dog' sufferer, a number of my mates are.

I (hopefully) understand the position/situation being discussed, with

the appreciation that no one has the exact same problems or severity

as anyone else.

I've read through the all the comments and replies from Larry's onwards

and I'm frankly amazed at the attitude (with the exception of The Johnster)

being expressed.

The comment about being box openers is a bit general, but by definition,

most on this thread are modellers (or trying very hard to be) so that comment

was definitely taken out of context, and the next line about looking at R-T-R

for inspiration was purely his own way of dealing with loss his of mojo.

We all suffer from loss of mojo at times (and it matters not what skill level you

are at), whether or not we are visited by the black dog, and anyone should be

able to post what works for them and why, without being picked on and verbally

abused.

With respect to some of the comments and replies, it seems that you can only 

add to or comment on this thread if you are a sufferer, otherwise you will be 

attacked for being condescending! I have always tried to encourage anybody 

to stretch themselves/try something new/overcome challenges, but the last

few days have made me reconsider this.

The last post about making newcomers feel reluctant is true, but it's the poster,

not the target, that's creating that kind of atmosphere by agreeing with all the

sniping comments aimed at Coachman.

I think it's time some of the posters should re-read this little spat, and think

carefully about what was said, (and it's true meaning, not what they wanted to

read into it) then consider whether or not the replies were justified. 

With luck, but I'm not hopeful, there might be enough soul-searching that a few

apologies might be forthcoming

Nah, I don’t agree.

Coachmann often lobs in vaguely derogatory posts about “ RTR “ , “ box openers “ etc. He knows ( knew ) exactly how to stir the s** to get the expected response.

If you call your fellow posters “ cretins “, “ lefties “ etc, you just know you’ll be getting a moderating drone strike on your head. And frankly I don’t care how good you are at painting coaches or whatever. In the real world you wouldn’t act like that because there are consequences to every action.

I know some great modellers on here, I know some beginners , I know some half way bodgers like me, all are welcome ....and if it helps with any mental health issues , that’s an extra double thumbs up from me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm a sufferer of 'not a happy bunny syndrome' so for me modelling is part of my therapy, an escape from reality

Sometimes a written statement can be interpreted a number of ways depending on that days mood

So I admit that on occasion I have taken offence when none has been intended

• RMweb Gold

Chuffing's last point is a good one; when one is being 'not a happy bunny', one is more sensitive than is normal even for a sufferer and probably more than is rational.  My view FWIW is that it's not helpful to be too quick to condemn, but equally unhelpful to be too quick to condemn the condemner; everyone is entitled to their view no matter how wrong I think it is, as I am to mine that it is wrong.

Calling people cretins or even box openers is just plain rude, though, and inexcusable.  Nothing wrong with opening boxes, how else do you get the models out to weather and improve them so as to ruin them for collectors... 

I have no objection to box opened layouts if they are operated realistically, but every objection to fine scale scratch built everything ones that aren't; this is just my 5 penn'orth and you are all entitled to take absolutely no notice of it at all, and in fact there may be some of you who think that you shouldn't; power to your elbows, gentleman, you'll get no complaint from the Johnster!  

Modellers who work to higher standards than I can aspire to or achieve inspire and encourage me even when some of my views on the subject differ from theirs.  Coachmann is an inspirational modeller and writer who I have learned a great deal from over the years; I am happy to consider him a bit insensitive sometimes rather than unsympathetic.  Maybe he has issues of his own that he keeps to himself, and I am a bit stringent in my criticism myself sometimes; this pot is reluctant to make comments about kettles being black...

This particular thread has a tremendous potential to be of a very significant help to unhappy bunnies everywhere, and is by and large a reliable reservoir of support and positivity; if I have at any time helped in this I am very happy and proud to have done so; I know how vital the right word at the right time can be (and how damaging the wrong one is).  But I would be very unhappy if I thought a situation had developed where only unhappy bunnies were 'allowed' to express views here; everyone, even norms, has off days and loses mojo, and all input should be welcome with the proviso that 'debate provoking' doesn't descend into the sort of insult that suggests that 'I am better than you; I am right and you are wrong'.  The way to deal with this is, IMHO, gentle and polite remonstration and explanation, not retaliation.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

I've been following this topic/thread from the beginning, and although 

I'm not a 'black dog' sufferer, a number of my mates are.

I (hopefully) understand the position/situation being discussed, with

the appreciation that no one has the exact same problems or severity

as anyone else.

I've read through the all the comments and replies from Larry's onwards

and I'm frankly amazed at the attitude (with the exception of The Johnster)

being expressed.

The comment about being box openers is a bit general, but by definition,

most on this thread are modellers (or trying very hard to be) so that comment

was definitely taken out of context, and the next line about looking at R-T-R

for inspiration was purely his own way of dealing with loss his of mojo.

We all suffer from loss of mojo at times (and it matters not what skill level you

are at), whether or not we are visited by the black dog, and anyone should be

able to post what works for them and why, without being picked on and verbally

abused.

With respect to some of the comments and replies, it seems that you can only 

add to or comment on this thread if you are a sufferer, otherwise you will be 

attacked for being condescending! I have always tried to encourage anybody 

to stretch themselves/try something new/overcome challenges, but the last

few days have made me reconsider this.

The last post about making newcomers feel reluctant is true, but it's the poster,

not the target, that's creating that kind of atmosphere by agreeing with all the

sniping comments aimed at Coachman.

I think it's time some of the posters should re-read this little spat, and think

carefully about what was said, (and it's true meaning, not what they wanted to

read into it) then consider whether or not the replies were justified. 

With luck, but I'm not hopeful, there might be enough soul-searching that a few

apologies might be forthcoming

It might be worth pointing out that some comments have been deleted.

So anyone coming in to the thread since may not be seeing the whole story....

Me, sitting on the fence like Trevor Brooking.

Jason

I've kept out of this conversation for a few days as I didn't want to fan flames and I also wanted to check myself that I hadn't got it all wrong.

There has one comment added by Coachmann and shortly afterwards removed aimed at someone else posting since the first outburst but I don't know of any others unless i've missed them.

At the beginning of this thing he could simply have said I've (as in me, Woodenhead) read it wrong and he didn't mean what I thought it said,   I would have responded with an apology and we'd have all moved on but to lob in the remarks he did, which were actually his second attempt at that post with the final set of comments actually worse than the first was upsetting.

I'll even go as far as to say, perhaps it is the very same black dog that has clouded Coachman's logic here, if he is suffering then maybe his responses were a reflection of how he is feeling.

• Like 2

Something as simple as this cheered me up no end yesterday, and that was seeing that the Timpdon layout is still alive and well and in new ownership! Just get that burst water pipe to squirt in my face again Lads and i'll be even happier, and the large Sunbathing Lady always reminded me of an old Aunt of mine.  :jester:

post-31611-0-95765900-1535987328_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-27141500-1535987356_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-12840600-1535987392_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hoping for a better future can lift the human spirits. Placing an order for a much-desired new loco, for example, creates pleasurable anticipation with no immediate costs. My Minerva Manning Wardle is now on order, having seen the EP at Telford.

Sometimes we have to hope for quite a long time, as in the case of the LLC Ruston 48DS, maybe this year, maybe next....but remembering how long the first Dapol Gauge 0 Terrier locos took, the Heljan Railbus and a few others, redemption arrives eventually. Then one can experience the [apparently guilty] pleasure of 'box-opening'.

Let's not knock the little pleasures in life, there are so few. I suspect it's even greater if the loco is being shipped halfway [back?] around the world.

I'll personally avoid the uncertainty and associated emotional stress of anything involving 'crowdfunding' and 'DJM' for example, but I don't bet, either. Each to his own.

Dava

Hoping for a better future can lift the human spirits. Placing an order for a much-desired new loco, for example, creates pleasurable anticipation with no immediate costs. My Minerva Manning Wardle is now on order, having seen the EP at Telford.

Sometimes we have to hope for quite a long time, as in the case of the LLC Ruston 48DS, maybe this year, maybe next....but remembering how long the first Dapol Gauge 0 Terrier locos took, the Heljan Railbus and a few others, redemption arrives eventually. Then one can experience the [apparently guilty] pleasure of 'box-opening'.

Let's not knock the little pleasures in life, there are so few. I suspect it's even greater if the loco is being shipped halfway [back?] around the world.

I'll personally avoid the uncertainty and associated emotional stress of anything involving 'crowdfunding' and 'DJM' for example, but I don't bet, either. Each to his own.

Dava

Instant gratification is only a short term sugar hit and that is the issue. Unless you actually get up and do something it goes into the cupboard and you quickly descend back to the moribund state you were in.

That is the point that Coach was trying to make.

I have spent a very large part of my life battling with anxiety and I find I am far happier and better balanced when I do things rather than just buy things. Lots of boxes in a cupboard are just things until you actually do something with them.

Procrastination is a terrible then when you have anxiety or depression but the only way to break through it is by doing something.

Maybe his words are harsh, but what Coach said is quite right.

Do something, you will feel far better for it.

Been there, done it. Personal experience talking.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Craig,

No need to lecture, there is no Instant gratification in the scales/gauges I model In, as I've shown with the modest pieces of work and posts above.

For me modelling is a diversion from more serious issues in life and work. I have built a number of unique and innovative models over 35 years or so. It is also enjoyable to own something better than one can build.

Dava

Hi Craig,

No need to lecture, there is no Instant gratification in the scales/gauges I model In, as I've shown with the modest pieces of work and posts above.

For me modelling is a diversion from more serious issues in life and work. I have built a number of unique and innovative models over 35 years or so. It is also enjoyable to own something better than one can build.

Dava

Lecture?

Telling my own experience of things, yours just happened to be a convenient post because of the comment about purchasing.

Craig W