Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

12 hours ago, south_tyne said:

That is the challenge and, whilst we sometime thing we are undeserving of pleasure, we all deserve to enjoy ourselves. Sometimes we have to make ourselves do something, I know I do, but once I have done it nine times out of ten it does me good. What I find is it is often the most unplanned, spontaneous days out that are best and most enjoyable, rather than those that are meticulously planned. Taking advantage of a free, unexpected sunny afternoon really is a joy on the rare occasions the planets align! 

This is a bit like what I'm doing now. As I'm back on shift work I sometimes get odd weekdays off. A couple of months back I went to the RAF museum at Cosford (2.5 hour drive each way). Sometimes go to the NRM (same distance). I find places to go and just do them. The most planning I do is finding the postcode for the sat nav and picking the day.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

This is a bit like what I'm doing now. As I'm back on shift work I sometimes get odd weekdays off. A couple of months back I went to the RAF museum at Cosford (2.5 hour drive each way). Sometimes go to the NRM (same distance). I find places to go and just do them. The most planning I do is finding the postcode for the sat nav and picking the day.

Sounds like an excellent outlook. When I am feeling low I have often just had a ride up to the Tanfield Railway for a couple of hours on a nice day and it normally does me the world of good. Being on the doorstep, it doesn't have to be planned in advance, and a but of time just watching the industrial locos in the sunshine is usually great for my mood. The simple pleasures in life are often the best. 

• Like 3

So today whilst the wife was partaking of some mindfulness in Ramsnottom I took a trip to Bury and back, City of Wells one way.

After that a nice coffee and cake before we found the disused line from Stubbins and had a couple of hours in the sun walking.

Now enjoying a nice lunch in a bistro.

64A5C329-53A8-4AEB-8BD1-3C219EA7CFE9.jpeg

• Like 10

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

The tale has been told elsewhere on the forum, one of our chums has been on the thin edge of wedge for some time.

Lots of minor (to us) problems have taken their toll in the past few years, in 2018, exhibiting was abandoned due to chronic osteoarthritis, at this point we decided to help by taking over the physically difficult stuff, change his direction and get him modelling again. 

Cheers

Jack Benson

On 19/04/2019 at 15:14, woodenhead said:

So today whilst the wife was partaking of some mindfulness in Ramsnottom I took a trip to Bury and back, City of Wells one way.

After that a nice coffee and cake before we found the disused line from Stubbins and had a couple of hours in the sun walking.

Now enjoying a nice lunch in a bistro.

64A5C329-53A8-4AEB-8BD1-3C219EA7CFE9.jpeg

Ha!

I was there on Wednesday. More participating in mindlessness though. Those bottles of City Of Wells beer are very nice, must have killed a few braincells that day...

Jason

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

Had a good weekend for a change. North Norfolk railway followed by driver for a fiver at wells and walsingham and Chris's steam locos in profile talk. Saturday was a very good day. :)

Fantastic! Really pleased you had a good day. You cannot beat sunny East Anglia but it's a long time since I've been to Wells - I'll have to have another trip there soon. The NNR is smashing for a day out and I often visit when staying with relatives in Norfolk. 

I must admit the black dog has certainly been barking away at me over the last couple of weeks. However, I am trying to plan some little treats to boost my mood. Nothing extravagant, maybe just a trip up to the Tanfield Railway this coming weekend. The lift your trip has given you certainly inspires me to be more positive in outlook. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'd definitely recommend Wells and Walsingham too. Nice bunch of lads and were very friendly too. Its practically on the way to the NNR if you're there for a weekender.

That's good to hear. I reckon it must be 20 years since I was there. Both Wells and Sheringham can be visited on a detour from home to my family in Norfolk.... not a direct route but I don't really need an excuse :derisive:

A little ego boost from the company I work for. To mark 15 years service, man and boy man, there was a little presentation from them yesterday. With a bit of sneaky research by SWMBO, I was presented with an Oxford Rail Dean Goods locomotive. Looks like I need to build a micro layout for it to run on.

Sometimes, when everything seems a bit bleak, people can surprise you.

All the best....

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting the thread, I'm sorry, feel really down at the moment. Have had a weeks holiday which was really good, but coming back to work has shown how much I hate it now. I don't want to stay in IT anymore and I need something new, but I feel utterly trapped by it. Starting at the bottom at my age isn't ideal at all.

• Friendly/supportive 13

I really do sympathise. I guess in the short term it’s even more important to give yourself things to look forward to outside of work (or even in work if that’s possible). In the long term, however trapped you feel though, there is always a way out.

And certainly no need to apologise...

• Agree 8

Resurrecting the thread, I'm sorry, feel really down at the moment. Have had a weeks holiday which was really good, but coming back to work has shown how much I hate it now. I don't want to stay in IT anymore and I need something new, but I feel utterly trapped by it. Starting at the bottom at my age isn't ideal at all.

You sound like me.

i am right royally p@ssed off right now with my lot in life, can't even put it into word or maybe I don't want to let the words out.

• Friendly/supportive 8

37 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You sound like me.

i am right royally p@ssed off right now with my lot in life, can't even put it into word or maybe I don't want to let the words out.

I empathise.

For some, keeping it inside makes it all not really real and the hope that perhaps it'll go away. But saying it out loud or writing it down makes it real, and then it raises the question what do you do about it? Saying it out can be an unwelcome admission that all is not well. It matters not whether it's said to your best mate or privately to yourself in the kitchen with nobody around, matters not whether it's expressed here or in a private diary. It can be a big step of saying it / writing it, that suddenly makes it real.

Not words of help, just a little understanding (I think).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Stay with it and consider your options 20 years in IT  and three failed companies ( nothing to do with systems ) 

hey ho life goes on

Nick

• RMweb Premium

I don't have a black dog, I do have a black cat called Esme who is hard to photograph as she absorbs light but normally lightens my life. 

I am finding it very hard to work, lacking the motivation and energy more than usual (I am a lazy person). I am getting more behind with things and deadlines loom this week. Modelling is not going well either, having messed up a 014 motor bogie. It feels like I've hit a wall. The weather (summer?) and B****t nonsense dont help either.  Mrs D is also not at her most cheerful, with her own worries.

I think that's enough for tonight...

1348304561_Esmecols.jpg.d56b2538362750a947173efe6bea6b19.jpg

Dava

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Dava said:

I don't have a black dog, I do have a black cat called Esme who is hard to photograph as she absorbs light but normally lightens my life. 

I am finding it very hard to work, lacking the motivation and energy more than usual (I am a lazy person). I am getting more behind with things and deadlines loom this week. Modelling is not going well either, having messed up a 014 motor bogie. It feels like I've hit a wall. The weather (summer?) and B****t nonsense dont help either.  Mrs D is also not at her most cheerful, with her own worries.

I think that's enough for tonight...

1348304561_Esmecols.jpg.d56b2538362750a947173efe6bea6b19.jpg

Dava

Esme has excellent taste in reading material

Nick

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

My cat Robbie is my saviour on my worst days. My job and personal life have been and continue to be Jeremy kyle-esque but without fail my constant friend is my cat. I hope anyone who is feeling below par at the moment can find a way back to the sunshine.

Chris

20190525_142109.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I seem to be following three active threads on RMWeb, all covering a similar theme at the moment.  Some talk of past experiences and some are struggling right now.

There is definitely something in the air at the moment.  I cannot remember a time when I saw so much ugliness in the world.  

I have some personal struggles but think I am a very long way from the darkness of some others here; To those I say, keep posting and we will respond and it may help.  It cannot make it worse.

In terms of not getting frustrated by perfection, I can also recommend the "just play with something" technique.  I still recall as a teenager getting frustrated at trying to build a card building kit and making a complete hash of it.  I coupled a Hornby Caley Pug to three or four completely inappropriate wagons and ran it round and round my layout at about a scale 75mph for over half an hour.  It was completely pointless but lifted my mood and was the most fun I'd had with the railway in ages.

Not everything has to have a serious aim, we are allowed to do the utterly pointless sometimes, if it helps us.  There are no fines levied.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure that the world is actually any uglier than it's always been, but continuing improvements in reporting the ugliness and broadcasting it in real time make one more aware of the ugliness.  I'm going through a patch myself at the minute, black dog very much in evidence, and there are times when it seems that there is no escape from the grimness.  Empathy from the Johnster probably makes no difference, but you're more than welcome to it if you find it does!

My use of the layout (I'm lucky to have a permanent erection) (stop that at once you bad people) can change according to my mood, and I do proper modelling, easy jobs, run to timetable, or just run trains that look nice according to how I'm feeling at the time, but haven't been able to do anything today except pontificate on the site about stuff I know enough about to delude myself that I know more...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not sure that the world is actually any uglier than it's always been, but continuing improvements in reporting the ugliness and broadcasting it in real time make one more aware of the ugliness.  

I sometimes wonder that, is the world much worse or is it just that you hear stuff you never would have years ago,   I find myself watching news and social media and then think sometimes ignorance is bliss, but feel compelled to keep up with current events.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Over the last couple of weeks my get up and go, has got up on gone without me. I work nights most weeks on 7pm-3am shifts. So I live my life in some semi exhausted state and the last thing I really want to do is start doing ballasting or working on the railways. Although I do still run trains. And I feel like my career has stalled so right now my head isn’t in the right place. Even though my partner and my family are trying there hardest to motivate me. 

Big james 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

This little one is my saviour after my other half "rediscovered" her teenage friends!!

Sad but she's basically all I have.Gabby.JPG.50eb829e8d1954fffc00bfa861951961.JPG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12