Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

Just a quick comment on here and no doubt I will expand here and elsewhere but this last week I was offered redundancy which I have gladly taken. I’ve wanted this for a long time and now means I will have time to devote to modelling, grandkids, modelling, elderly parents and......modelling. Just to clarify, by modelling I mean to develop Monk’s Gate Models as a proper business. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks 'Tiptonian', for your kind & thoughtful comments.

Yes I'm very aware of 'slowing down' and it might feel a bit premature [at 59]. It's been going on for a few years, we came back from Canada 4 years ago and I had a lot more 'get up & go' at that time. 2 years ago I escaped from a career track of demanding, high-profile jobs after a minor health issue was caught in time and realising that a daily commute of 100+ miles by car was silly. 

Yes there is a house & garden to maintain, as well as madam & her 4 cats to attend to [I used to think it is insane to have 4 cats but her sister has 7!]. Maybe I can persuade her to crochet some trees for a layout after seeing the GMRC last night.

This morning I spent at a GCR 'Friends' committee meeting [coinciding with their Steampunk day, which was interesting!]. Had to have a nap this afternoon. 

I quite like the descryption as 'an ideal fellow' and may use this as my occupation from time to time!

Good to see that Tricky will be spending more time modelling. 

Here's to any other idle fellows....

Dava

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 5 weeks later...

Starting to feel better now. DWP have finally acknowledged the change in circumstances I put in in September to take me off Universal credit and my wages came in at full rate last week, which was nice. Got a new 16mm coach build on the go to finally give me a full short rake for my RH Billy to pull. Things are looking better. Also booked a week off at the end of November to fill with a holiday. I think the misses has twigged my locations of choice as she gets suspicious and checks for nearby railways and museums, she keeps sussing me out.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone heard from South Tyne? He's not been on here since Sept 3. He might not want to post but I hope he's ok. He had a good thread going about his microlayout & was always very supportive of others. 

Dava

Guest Jack Benson

Almost three months ago, our chum suffered a massive heart attack that was rapidly followed by a triple bypass. All this had been at the end of a pretty awful period of unrelated illnesses which, in hindsight, were the precursor to the 'big one' in August. 

It is week 8 since discharge and the recovery is precariously slow, complicated by serious chest and wound infections,  finally, he asked the group to sell off his layout, Child Okeford. But rather than giving up, the daft idiot has only started planning to exhibit whilst sitting in a wheelchair as his eyesight and dexterity have returned to normal and he wants to 'return' to the exhibition circuit in 2020 as a demonstrator. 

JB    

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Almost three months ago, our chum suffered a massive heart attack that was rapidly followed by a triple bypass. All this had been at the end of a pretty awful period of unrelated illnesses which, in hindsight, were the precursor to the 'big one' in August. 

It is week 8 since discharge and the recovery is precariously slow, complicated by serious chest and wound infections,  finally, he asked the group to sell off his layout, Child Okeford. But rather than giving up, the daft idiot has only started planning to exhibit whilst sitting in a wheelchair as his eyesight and dexterity have returned to normal and he wants to 'return' to the exhibition circuit in 2020 as a demonstrator. 

JB    

Back in 2007 I had a quad heart bypass, luckily without an associated heat attack prior to the heart problem being discovered. It was dabbling with some very simple card models that got me through the recovery phases. Provided the infection issue is resolved the bypass should solve prior issues rather than hold him back. It is a painful recovery but worth it.

Hope he recovers soon.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson
On 29/10/2019 at 15:20, Jack Benson said:

JB    

Every event should have a positive outcome.

Our tiny group has decided to build our chum's micro-layout to be wheelchair (and potential future modellers) accessible for all, the height will be a standard 80cm. It may be an odd choice to 'force' folk to sit down* to see the layout but equally we have made a positive choice not to discriminate against the disabled.

JB

*We will provide chairs.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Every event should have a positive outcome.

Our tiny group has decided to build our chum's micro-layout to be wheelchair (and potential future modellers) accessible for all, the height will be a standard 80cm. It may be an odd choice to 'force' folk to sit down* to see the layout but equally we have made a positive choice not to discriminate against the disabled.

JB

*We will provide chairs.

I have been to a show where there was a row of micro layouts on standard height tables with chairs in front of  most of them.

I some years ago had the dole office routine, not that they gave me any money.. they also didn't pay to for transport the 20 mile round trip to the office that was required.

They did say there were some courses I could go on, that might improve my chances... I offered to teach them...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to say I've had an attack on the Black dog in recent months. The get up & go, has got up & left. A good friend dragged me around to the Cardiff Show, but it didn't break the grip. I did manage to move 150+ concrete blocks for phase 2 for the railway shed but I haven't broke ground yet.  Later on this week, I hope.

However folks, don't lose heart. I've found out that these things are cyclic. With luck, I can break this. Spring is around the corner. Not long for the Easter Eggs!

Talking of cyclic, where's me bike.....?

• Friendly/supportive 12

I can empathise with a lot of the posts on this thread - one of the things about mental health problems is its often not apparent. You "look" like you're in great shape when you're quite the opposite.

I've had similar issues to many here so wont re-hash them. However, for the last few years I've had issues with "seasonal affective disorder" to the point its got quite serious. Most people I mention it to dismiss it as rubbish quite honestly but short days, cold temps, & lack of sunlight (winter essentially!) effects me quite badly.  In fact enough to makes us decide to move to Spain - we've just started looking (and it will only be a small property - we aint millionaires!) but just the process has lifted my spirits no end.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

I'm really sorry to read of your troubles on here and I hope that you all recover your health/jobs and get your mojos back.

I had accidentally stumbled into the thread and was going to add that I had lost my mojo but the reading of the problems that you've all had and how you've come through - or getting there - has made me decide to get off my ar$e while I still can and get started on that layout that I'd promised myself 40 years ago.

I really wish all of you the very best,

Philip

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

The MoJo seems to be returning.

First effort in almost two months and although incomplete, it is a positive sign.

IMG_1244.JPG.jpg.69dd394fda0b15ddab73bd4b21497380.jpg

and the micro-layout seems to have found its way out of the packaging and onto the workbench, btw the hide-face was essential.

IMG_1243.JPG.jpg.3f5450b5ebc61e20b97490f3b27f5fcd.jpg

JB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After a bout of various illnesses over the last year or so I find myself back on RMweb and noted in the 15 year birthday thread that I have been around for some time, but never achieved anything of substance unlike many on here.. not that I am measuring myself against this but I am finding my way back to the hobby I have always loved and now am finding a modicum of mojo. I have downsized much of my collection of stuff and am concentrating on building a very simple OO mini layout. I am also trying not to get sucked into current events and actually my hobby is exactly what I need to focus on this.. thankfully I’m medication free and am trying to walk outside everyday now the weather seems to have stopped the continuous cycle of wind and flooding.. anyway I felt I wanted to say hi again as feel like I went out for a pint of milk and never came back.. hope the black dogs are well and truely leashed up in there kennels and am looking forward to getting back into the swing of things here..

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Hello Folks. I hope you are all keeping safe. 

No modelling here, but the state of mind did indeed go cyclic. I'll try to get some photos up later.

Please, stick with it. I need your inspirations. You, Yes, you, might have an inspiration that fuels others to get over the hump. 

Best wishes,

Ian.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

Thanks to social media, interest in modelling remains high. The recent virtual 'Model Railway Exhibition' only lasted a couple of days, it revived a lot of flagging spirits and would be a welcome return.

Being at extreme risk, continued self isolation is not an option but the shed is my sanctuary anyway.

Best of luck to everyone, stay healthy.

Cheers

Well on the up side... over the last few months I have been creating a permanent "railway room" and it's almost there..

And the down side I work in my local A&E and SHMBO works on one of the wards, and spend my time off wondering if we will both escape any serious illness (along with our friends and family) in the coming weeks as we both have serious health conditions, but apparently not serious enough to be isolated...

Any how, stay safe everyone

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2020 at 21:41, 11B said:

Well on the up side... over the last few months I have been creating a permanent "railway room" and it's almost there..

And the down side I work in my local A&E and SHMBO works on one of the wards, and spend my time off wondering if we will both escape any serious illness (along with our friends and family) in the coming weeks as we both have serious health conditions, but apparently not serious enough to be isolated...

Any how, stay safe everyone

Ian

I have no comprehension as to what the pair of you are going through, I wish you all the best. Make sure that your own health is placed above anybody else's. I appreciate that you want to do your best for others, but neither of you will be of any use to anybody if either of you will be around in the future.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

On 28/09/2019 at 15:09, Tricky said:

Just a quick comment on here and no doubt I will expand here and elsewhere but this last week I was offered redundancy which I have gladly taken. 

I have passed retirement age nearly two years but I have decided to continue working three days a week - but I do mainly work with women 18- 28 so what's not to like!

20141128_233153.jpg.3a24455b357634860f752f08177ba772.jpg

Staff Xmas party 2018

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

My get up and go has got up and gone without me. I worked in retail for 12 years I went as far as I could go without a university degree. I managed to get myself a job as a bus driver. So left my previous job and took 2 weeks holiday between leaving and starting my new job. The day before I was meant to start I got a phone call saying my induction was postponed for the foreseeable future. When I phoned up my old area manager he told me old job had been filled. And their wasn’t any jobs going in his region for me. I phone all my old contacts and nothing. So I’m now unemployed waiting to and praying for something to happen. But as day by day goes by it looks less and less likely. 

bug james 

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Big James said:

My get up and go has got up and gone without me. I worked in retail for 12 years I went as far as I could go without a university degree. I managed to get myself a job as a bus driver. So left my previous job and took 2 weeks holiday between leaving and starting my new job. The day before I was meant to start I got a phone call saying my induction was postponed for the foreseeable future. When I phoned up my old area manager he told me old job had been filled. And their wasn’t any jobs going in his region for me. I phone all my old contacts and nothing. So I’m now unemployed waiting to and praying for something to happen. But as day by day goes by it looks less and less likely. 

bug james 

I think that there are plenty of opportunities for drivers at the moment (depending where you are based). Bus companies seem to be particularly bad employers. I had the same experience as you some years ago.

• Friendly/supportive 3

My workshop is just as much a sanctuary as it was ‘back then’ just over three years ago. Since then, however, my circumstances have dramatically changed - now being self-employed. You would have thought having had a nervous breakdown; suffering for some time from depression, anxiety, panic attacks, claustrophobia, agoraphobia and any other phobia around that the present pickle we find ourselves in would be problematic, as well as the added pressure of finding work for myself. But, it goes to prove the truth that one does get stronger through deeply trying times in one’s life. The last time I was made redundant about 20 years before it tipped me into a very bad time, not coping with it at all. This time, I have the mental strength and determination to beat off the doubts and believe in myself. So chin up everyone - you are ALL capable of more than you might always give yourself credit for. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

My tale today is not loss of mojo but one of disappointment.  I often struggle to get much done modelling wise because I can't create a permanent workspace, so was looking forward to spending this afternoon in the garden painting DMUs and varnishing tank wagons.

Unfortunately my next-door neighbours decided to have a family barbecue (obviously with a relative round who I'm certain doesn't live walking distance away, thought we're all meant to be limiting contact to members of our own household?) complete with music and swearing at party volume.  So much for my peaceful Sunday afternoon.   Unfortunately in spells of good weather they seem to have BBQs about 3-4 times a week.......

I did manage to fire up my Mamod steam roller for the first time in about 20 years; it needs some servicing to repair the seal on the safety valve, but a small success I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Well I was getting worried about the lack of progress on the layout, with only 2 to 3 hours spent on it each week.  Now I'm well into 12 weeks isolation I'm doing that much per day. The scenic side should be finished by the time we are allowed to escape and I should be well into wiring it up. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1