Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

On 28/03/2020 at 21:41, 11B said:

Well on the up side... over the last few months I have been creating a permanent "railway room" and it's almost there..

And the down side I work in my local A&E and SHMBO works on one of the wards, and spend my time off wondering if we will both escape any serious illness (along with our friends and family) in the coming weeks as we both have serious health conditions, but apparently not serious enough to be isolated...

Any how, stay safe everyone

Ian

Well that didn't go quite as planned... one positive test and we are both in isolation...

O well might get something done on the railway...

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 12

• 1 month later...

I could have spent the last two months being more productive on the various modelling projects I have to do. But I haven't, and I don't really know why. Lots of inertia. I've done some other interests of mine, but all I've really done recently is sort through my old issues of RMs and cut out articles I want to keep before recycling the rest.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Once again, no modelling here. But! The shed thread continues to rumble on. Mentally, I've set a 'sort of' target to get under cover by September. I'll get a few photos on the M&M thread. 

Things are indeed cyclic, so thanks one & all for your feedback. 

Cheers,

Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

During the pandemic I’ve been busier than ever at work, even with my layout behind me in my office at home, there’s little motivation to go back in there after a 9-10 hour stint for work.

Last Thursday should have Tangowoman & I fly to Kefalonia for a weeks break, but alas, it wasn’t to be.

In my modelling I’ve now settled for the period of late 2019 as I can’t keep pace with livery changes.

I have 8 DMUs to get into the old Northern Rail blue & purple, or the new (but defunct) Northern spot livery. These include 2 each of Classes 150, 153, 156 & 158. 

I now have a desire to get these DMUs finished as my mojo is back and I’m enjoying my modelling more than ever.

Keep safe,

Karl

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Lockdown has had a similar effect, I want to get out as I work and sleep in the same room lately. I've walked bloody miles! No real modelling mojo as house-hunting is commencing, but after that I may finally be able to set up my garden railway.

• Friendly/supportive 5

After the Warley show last year and up until lockdown I was working on my layout 7 days a week, not always full days as I still work(ed) three six hour shifts at my employer, but in one day I remember I did work 15 hours on it without a break - starting at 05.30.

However, since being furloughed I have not worked on the layout for the last six weeks at all. 

Question : Why?

Answer : No exhibitions.

My layout is 26ft x 10ft and purely for exhibitions. After Warley I was busy making major upgrades to the layout ready for Aly Paly in mid-March, but it was cancelled. So, now no exhibitions equals no point in working on the layout. I actually like the pressure of an exhibition deadline. There is still stuff to do, but with my next exhibition invite being now in December I have stopped work on the layout.

I have been converting my shed into a railway museum / art gallery / shrine and creating SNAPFISH hardback books from my collection of photographs from 1984 - 2015 and that has meant scanning hundreds of 6x4 prints from my albums as I threw away the negatives years ago.

Have been working on these 'books' pretty much 8 hours a day for the last three weeks and at this rate I only need about another 12 months and I will be able to throw away all those old photo albums.

So zero modelling, but keeping very busy, but just on a different aspect of my 'hobby'.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

After the Warley show last year and up until lockdown I was working on my layout 7 days a week, not always full days as I still work(ed) three six hour shifts at my employer, but in one day I remember I did work 15 hours on it without a break - starting at 05.30.

However, since being furloughed I have not worked on the layout for the last six weeks at all. 

Question : Why?

Answer : No exhibitions.

My layout is 26ft x 10ft and purely for exhibitions. After Warley I was busy making major upgrades to the layout ready for Aly Paly in mid-March, but it was cancelled. So, now no exhibitions equals no point in working on the layout. I actually like the pressure of an exhibition deadline. There is still stuff to do, but with my next exhibition invite being now in December I have stopped work on the layout.

I have been converting my shed into a railway museum / art gallery / shrine and creating SNAPFISH hardback books from my collection of photographs from 1984 - 2015 and that has meant scanning hundreds of 6x4 prints from my albums as I threw away the negatives years ago.

Have been working on these 'books' pretty much 8 hours a day for the last three weeks and at this rate I only need about another 12 months and I will be able to throw away all those old photo albums.

So zero modelling, but keeping very busy, but just on a different aspect of my 'hobby'.

I fully understand, what is people’s motivation?

My layout is just for me, i’m making it as I go along at my pace, dealing with what life throws at me.

I’ve had the deadlines of fixed Exhibition dates, and met them, but now happy doing what I do even though higgledibiggledy, my mojo and life set my pace.

It’s what suits each and everyone one of us

• Agree 1

I managed to build a couple of baseboards, lay a 4 x 4 foot loop, put in point motors and actually run some trains in lockdown before the mojo dropped again.  More baseboards on way but I can't get a plan I am happy with, same old, same old.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 6 months later...

Revisiting this thread to add an update.

For various reasons which I don't feel like going into my modelling has been inactive for the last six months or so. Admittedly I have been prioritising my fishing more (although struggling to do that at times).

I feel that a good way to cheer myself up is through buying locos; however this is expensive and I have been exercising some discipline in this regard (I don't need a Heljan Garratt no matter how much I like big freight engines with lots of wheels).

I actually have been making an effort to acquire bits and pieces for my layout project. I have managed fortunately to acquire 25 yards of Peco Code 75 bullhead, and have accumulated various things to assist in weathering and painting etc.

But I can't seem to get started on anything. The items I buy just sit there and gather dust. I don't know why or how but I always find a way to put it off. TBH this seems to be applying to everything right now, I just don't start it or don't really get myself to do it.

A lot of people on these forums have produced quite a bit of modelling this year with the time available to them; despite having the same amount of time available I haven't done anything. The last serious modelling project I did was probably back in October 2019.

Not really sure what to do. This inertia is, as mentioned, something I have generally, it's not just my interests which it's applying to.

Edited by SD85
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

I did manage to sort out my collection of RMs though. Got rid of most of them but also bought some more back issues so I now have complete sets for 1996 and 1997 (when I first started reading the magazine). Those are vintage years. I often re-read those old issues.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I know exactly what you mean, I struggle to pick up a magazine and read sometimes. I manage to talk myself out of doing things. One thing that has worked in the past is to set a small task, if after 10 minutes its going ok, carry on, if not stop. I find a big task is often daunting, so breaking it down into smaller chunks helps. 

Hope things improve for you.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

16 hours ago, SD85 said:

Revisiting this thread to add an update.

For various reasons which I don't feel like going into my modelling has been inactive for the last six months or so. Admittedly I have been prioritising my fishing more (although struggling to do that at times).

I feel that a good way to cheer myself up is through buying locos; however this is expensive and I have been exercising some discipline in this regard (I don't need a Heljan Garratt no matter how much I like big freight engines with lots of wheels).

I actually have been making an effort to acquire bits and pieces for my layout project. I have managed fortunately to acquire 25 yards of Peco Code 75 bullhead, and have accumulated various things to assist in weathering and painting etc.

But I can't seem to get started on anything. The items I buy just sit there and gather dust. I don't know why or how but I always find a way to put it off. TBH this seems to be applying to everything right now, I just don't start it or don't really get myself to do it.

A lot of people on these forums have produced quite a bit of modelling this year with the time available to them; despite having the same amount of time available I haven't done anything. The last serious modelling project I did was probably back in October 2019.

Not really sure what to do. This inertia is, as mentioned, something I have generally, it's not just my interests which it's applying to.

I shouldn’t worry too much , you’ve got the gear ready to go .

I have days I can’t face much, ups and downs as I wait still on furlough to see if my 30 year career has been destroyed .

The things that have kept me sane are cycling and jogging and playing with the trains -but only when I’m in the mood , as my concentration goes out to sea a fair bit at present and I find myself just sitting and starring at stuff in a semi catatonic state .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Guest Jack Benson

The loss of modelling motivation (mojo) is easy to attribute, an outbreak of pedantry or another form of unpleasantness can often be the trigger for the cessation of interest. Unfortunately this can occur when sharing one’s efforts on a forum but the simplest remedy is to cease posting, one should not be posting for the approbation of others and neither should there be an obligation to persist providing entertainment for others, especially the pedants that tend to infest forums.

mrpedant.jpg.bf9d1d12579d7fd1fba3719149d8787c.jpg

If available, an alternate project is always useful at times, even if it unrelated to the original activity, a quick fix challenge often results in a personal achievement and can find a completely new audience if sharing one’s efforts is a requirement.

There is a bottom line, simply deny those who criticise the oxygen of publicity by taking a break and moving on/sideways, don’t let them win.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
Pendantry

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

The loss of modelling motivation (mojo) is easy to attribute, an outbreak of pedantry or another form of unpleasantness can often be the trigger for the cessation of interest.

Agreed.

Unfortunately there is exists an irony on this, and many other, forums. 

There is much made of the damage to mental and emotional health by the restrictions necessitated by the Covid pandemic and the very real effects of the virus itself.  And yet some of the individuals wringing their hands and lamenting said mental effects on the population, often as an argument against lockdowns, etc., are the same ones who negatively impact fellow modellers' health with, at best, thoughtless and, at worst, downright belittling and malicious comments on their work and thoughts.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

The loss of modelling motivation (mojo) is easy to attribute, an outbreak of pedantry or another form of unpleasantness can often be the trigger for the cessation of interest. Unfortunately this can occur when sharing one’s efforts on a forum but the simplest remedy is to cease posting, one should not be posting for the approbation of others and neither should there be an obligation to persist providing entertainment for others, especially the pedants that tend to infest forums.

mrpedant.jpg.bf9d1d12579d7fd1fba3719149d8787c.jpg

If available, an alternate project is always useful at times, even if it unrelated to the original activity, a quick fix challenge often results in a personal achievement and can find a completely new audience if sharing one’s efforts is a requirement.

There is a bottom line, simply deny those who criticise the oxygen of publicity by taking a break and moving on/sideways, don’t let them win.

Cheers and Stay Safe

If you put your efforts in a forum , you invite praise but also criticism .

If you are that delicate about a possibly negative response  , simply don’t share stuff on the internet I’d say 

Guest Jack Benson
3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

If you put your efforts in a forum , you invite praise but also criticism .

If you are that delicate about a possibly negative response  , simply don’t share stuff on the internet I’d say 

Just the type of negative response that I expected.

Cheers and Stay Safe

On 09/06/2020 at 23:36, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I have been converting my shed into a railway museum / art gallery / shrine 

I just thought I would update my story. As I said back in June, I haven't been doing any modelling because without exhibitions there is no point (for me personally).

But I have been very busy on other aspects of 'my hobby'.  I said I was converting my shed/workshop into a museum/shrine and so here is an example.

Back in March the r/h end wall of my shed/workshop looked like this - old kitchen cupboards containing glue, tools, paint, kits etc ....

IMG_20201028_153448.jpg.1b6f7d193ba2555f51edfe6b1af8f331.jpg

Now that wall looks like this ...

IMG_20201111_175222.jpg.a573d433d1ec6c755abe0b18e06f8b83.jpg

Motto - if one aspect of 'our hobby' loses interest maybe try a different aspect - just for a new challenge.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Jack Benson
19 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I just thought I would update my story. As I said back in June, I haven't been doing any modelling because without exhibitions there is no point (for me personally).

But I have been very busy on other aspects of 'my hobby'.  I said I was converting my shed/workshop into a museum/shrine and so here is an example.

Back in March the r/h end wall of my shed/workshop looked like this - old kitchen cupboards containing glue, tools, paint, kits etc ....

Motto - if one aspect of 'our hobby' loses interest maybe try a different aspect - just for a new challenge.

Very neat, thank you for sharing

Cheers and stay safe

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

It looks very nice & tidy, fair play. But! Arrgh!! My greatest worry is Mrs Smith will see your shining example....

• Funny 1

I have not done much modelling over the past few months as our club 0 gauge layout at Swanage and my 00 gauge portable layout at a nearby village hall are out of bounds due to coronavirus restrictions.

An advertisement for a Metcalfe cardboard castle prompted me to build a castle at home as part of the scenery for my 00 gauge Corfe Castle layout which will give me an idea about how to build a model of the real castle if time permits.

P1000229.JPG

• Like 6

Guest Jack Benson

There is a silver lining,  help from friends is always appreciated and collaborative efforts bring folk together (as per tier 2 regulations) they certainly raise the morale.

This Sunday morning is the Christmas running session with a hot brunch, the last hurrah of 2020 with a chance to see every part of the layout working (maybe) and a quiet reflection of those we have lost in the group.  

There must be an upturn in our fortunes, Christmas 2018 was spent in the ICU, September 2019 CABG and as for April 2020.......surely there is an earnest desire that 2021 will bring some improvement. There is always the brief frisson of pleasure when the new items are announced in 2021 however whether we will be still around when they are released?... 

Good luck to everyone, mojo or not, the hobby will endure.

Stay safe

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just found this thread and I’m glad to find that I’m not the only one who suffers from a lack of mojo when life’s events go south and cause depression or ill health.  Over the last 10 years I’ve had to deal with chronic pain in my back, legs and neck after a horrendous accident in 2004, which has left me full of Arthritis.

I also suffer from ME and had three bouts of skin cancer since 2012 which fortunately I’ve nailed.  In September 2017, I had a small stroke which forced me to give up my job as a bus driver, then to add insult to injury, earlier this year I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.  And people wonder why I suffer from depression :scratchhead:.

When I’m really motivated, I can achieve quite a lot but when it gets cold and damp, I really can’t be bothered.  I have a nearly finished Revell Saturn V that’s been sitting on my workbench for the last two months, untouched because I can’t find the motivation to finish it.

Edited by jools1959
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Jools,

It sounds like you have through the ringer mate for the past few years!

I've not had it as bad as you (touch wood) but have found that I find solace and friendship in this forum, especially this topic.

I don't set myself too many targets, I have good days when I seem to go hell for leather and get loads done, and others when just nothing gets done.

I wish you all the very best with your various ailments and for the festive period.

Regards,

Karl

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tangoman69 said:

Jools,

It sounds like you have through the ringer mate for the past few years!

I've not had it as bad as you (touch wood) but have found that I find solace and friendship in this forum, especially this topic.

I don't set myself too many targets, I have good days when I seem to go hell for leather and get loads done, and others when just nothing gets done.

I wish you all the very best with your various ailments and for the festive period.

Regards,

Karl

Hi Karl,

Thank you, much appreciated.

• Like 2