Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

20 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

My main or root problem is that I feel guilty about doing things 'just for myself ' - tasks don't seem to have value or reward unless they're being done for someone else. 

That’s a very good point.

I’m partly retired but find I need to do something for ‘work’ or for someone else before I can contemplate something for myself. By that time I’m usually too tired and can’t be bothered.

Doing things for others is rewarding as they are getting something done that they can’t or don’t have time to do themselves and are grateful. When I do something for myself, I’m alway disappointed that it’s not quite as good as it could/ should have been. 
Spent the morning looking after nephews and mil and afternoon doing some bookwork. No time or energy for a bit of modelling later. 

Hope everyone feels a bit better in the morning.

Robert 

• Friendly/supportive 4

19 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

That’s a very good point.

I’m partly retired but find I need to do something for ‘work’ or for someone else before I can contemplate something for myself. By that time I’m usually too tired and can’t be bothered.

Doing things for others is rewarding as they are getting something done that they can’t or don’t have time to do themselves and are grateful. When I do something for myself, I’m alway disappointed that it’s not quite as good as it could/ should have been. 
Spent the morning looking after nephews and mil and afternoon doing some bookwork. No time or energy for a bit of modelling later. 

Hope everyone feels a bit better in the morning.

Robert 

You could be my brother from a different mother :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2021 at 18:01, john new said:

In general I am feeling Ok and the sun and walks are helping. Unfortunately not so as far as my railway activities are concerned, sadly my motivation has gone and I feel rather as a football manager must feel with their team bottom of the league by umpteen points, only two or three matches left in the season and the sack looming.

Despite a completely unexpected few days in hospital a month ago when what must have been an unnoticed, but creeping, long term bladder/kidney problem suddenly peaked (now recovering from that) mojo related things are also recovering.

I have been able to shed some baggage because a new volunteer is finally allowing me to hand on much of the extra SLS volunteering as Journal Editor I have been committed to since January 2018 (thanks Kelvyn) therefore I  am now looking forward to finding time to do some modelling whereas back in April it just looked like a never ending spiral. It wasn’t that I couldn’t do the SLS editing, just that after being retired from paid full-time work for ten years by 2018 it felt too much like going back to f/t hours. 

Edited by john new
Typo correction/formatting
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 27/05/2021 at 20:31, Coldgunner said:

So to follow up on losing my job a couple of weeks back, it looks like I'm going to be getting my previous job back. Pay isn't as good but its enough to see me through. Gives me space to think about my next step at least. Anyone got a decent paying job going that involves paying me to drink beer and watch trains?

Join the railway. As much tea as you can drink and make a difference! Keeping the country moving and a great atmosphere and people. When it runs well, it runs well but when the s**t hits the fan, the satisfaction of pulling it back together as a team is fantastic. From the cleaners up, everyone is there because they like the railway in some way, shape or form. (In my experience.) :locomotive:

• Like 7

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I'd be inclined to listen to your father on this, it's his mate who let you the house, did the work to customise it.  How might this affect your father's relationship with his friend if suddenly rather than two people there are four people in the home?

Another question, would this landlord rent to them if they hadn't just turned up on your doorstep claiming to be homeless and can he house them?

Sorry for the late Update i have just finished a night shift, I have spoken to the landlord who is fine with them being there as long as they behave themselves.  But they need to go through the junk they have hoarded and get rid of most of it or put it in the loft. I just feel like they are playing on my partners heart strings. As she’s an incredible person who would give you her last £1 if you asked her to. 

Big James

• Friendly/supportive 8

I think my modelling mojo may have just been accidentally given a kick up the Aris', simply by diving into a few threads on RWMeb - in particular newbryford's recent one on renumbering / repainting locos which I've contributed to, Bachmann's fantastic new Class 47 and the discovery that Accurascale have released a beautifully proportioned and detailed 00 gauge Deltic, something I wasn't aware of despite the thread on it being started way back in November 2018! I have no particular 'need' for a Deltic but seeing where we are now in terms of quality, accuracy and detail has waken me up somewhat.

It's making me look back at what I've done / haven't done in the past and realise that daydreaming whistfully about 'the perfect layout' has got me nowhere. I think being honest about it, even if I had the space I'd still struggle to stick with the plan and get anything anywhere near up and running before changing my mind and going off in a different direction. With this in mind, I now want to build a reasonable sized diorama instead, something simple and not too region or area specific to display any locos or stock I might buy in the future, and more importantly something that I can actually finish that won't take up to much precious space. Whatever transpires, I hope the mojo doesn't go walkies again for a good while yet.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

19 hours ago, 33C said:

Join the railway. As much tea as you can drink and make a difference! Keeping the country moving and a great atmosphere and people. When it runs well, it runs well but when the s**t hits the fan, the satisfaction of pulling it back together as a team is fantastic. From the cleaners up, everyone is there because they like the railway in some way, shape or form. (In my experience.) :locomotive:

Honestly I'd love to, but finding a non-customer facing role seems tricky without having to up sticks and move.

• Friendly/supportive 2

40 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Honestly I'd love to, but finding a non-customer facing role seems tricky without having to up sticks and move.

Heritage railways are worth 6 billion a year and are looking for paid staff as well as national rail. Any near you? Go down and ask around. Railways work on the word of mouth principle when it comes to filling vacancies, that's why they are never advertised until those options are exhausted!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's not swearing.

It's

Task Appropriate Profanity.

And it's allowed, encouraged in fact.

Does anyone think that the men who designed and built our railway system never swore at it? :D

The best, most recent example of 'task allowed profanity' I have come across is actually in relation to a 'leisure activity'.

Not something I would indulge in personally, nor would a lot of others judging by the amount of people looking on, but there's a reverse 'bungee' machine on Great Yarmouth seafront where the participants/victims are strapped into what looks like a giant metal golf ball and hurled skyward at a rather rapid acceleration rate:bo_mini:

Costing, I think, £10 person person per 'ride' I was walking past one day as a pair of passengers were being strapped in. Quite a large crowd had gathered to watch the spectacle and upon the release of said giant metal golf ball one it's victims let out the loudest 'f#&£in hell!' I've heard in many years,  prompting the entire crowd to burst out laughing:sarcastichand:.

Somehow I don't think 'oh fiddlesticks' or similar lighter reactions would have had quite the same effect!

• Funny 9

On 10/08/2021 at 15:55, Rugd1022 said:

I think my modelling mojo may have just been accidentally given a kick up the Aris', simply by diving into a few threads on RWMeb - in particular newbryford's recent one on renumbering / repainting locos which I've contributed to, Bachmann's fantastic new Class 47 and the discovery that Accurascale have released a beautifully proportioned and detailed 00 gauge Deltic, something I wasn't aware of despite the thread on it being started way back in November 2018! I have no particular 'need' for a Deltic but seeing where we are now in terms of quality, accuracy and detail has waken me up somewhat.

It's making me look back at what I've done / haven't done in the past and realise that daydreaming whistfully about 'the perfect layout' has got me nowhere. I think being honest about it, even if I had the space I'd still struggle to stick with the plan and get anything anywhere near up and running before changing my mind and going off in a different direction. With this in mind, I now want to build a reasonable sized diorama instead, something simple and not too region or area specific to display any locos or stock I might buy in the future, and more importantly something that I can actually finish that won't take up to much precious space. Whatever transpires, I hope the mojo doesn't go walkies again for a good while yet.

Well, that sounds like ranelagh bridge to me, with some accurascale 47s !

• Funny 1

On 12/08/2021 at 01:02, MrWolf said:

It's not swearing.

It's

Task Appropriate Profanity.

And it's allowed, encouraged in fact.

Does anyone think that the men who designed and built our railway system never swore at it? :D

TAP - right, I’m stealing that .

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

So 16 days after point 1 was motored and programmed I've now completed all twelve - the last 6 being done as a factory process line today.

All running, frog switching working and a loco has run over them - one is possibly stick so I will look what might be causing that but I got past three difficult installations that were the cause of my last loss of mojo in about 15 minutes.

Amazing how a change in the state of your mind can see what was once an earth shattering problem as now just a bit of clipping at a sticky pad to make space.

Boards one and two are now connected again which moves me onto board 3 - the fiddleyard, this is going to be cassettes so it's just a case of 4 sets of droppers and then some framing on the top to position the cassettes which already exist. 

Even mastered re-centering one of my initial two cobalt IPs that I had got stuck in one closed position rather than centred, so all good.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

31 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Why do I keep buying stuff in the hope that it'll kick start me into action?

Probably because you enjoy the adrenaline rush of buying because it's for you, whereas you sound like somebody who needs encouragement or reward to make or do. Do something, anything, post it on here because, WE would love to see it! And it could really inspire others. As Mrs. Doyle would say, "Go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON!" ;)

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 33C said:

Probably because you enjoy the adrenaline rush of buying because it's for you, whereas you sound like somebody who needs encouragement or reward to make or do. Do something, anything, post it on here because, WE would love to see it! And it could really inspire others. As Mrs. Doyle would say, "Go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON!" ;)

I think that's sort of right, I readily do things for others because I feel it's selfish to do things for myself. So as long as someone needs me to help them, they go to the top of the list. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

38 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

I think that's sort of right, I readily do things for others because I feel it's selfish to do things for myself. So as long as someone needs me to help them, they go to the top of the list. 

I can fully identify with this sentiment but remember this, when you need help, are others as forthcoming? This is why people have to have "me" time, and as you get older, you rely more on other people. I try to treat others as I would like to be treated but not as a sponge for everyone's problems, just those who have a genuine need, otherwise they do nothing for themselves! Professional help and advice is only a 'phone call away I tell 'em and suddenly the "problem" goes away.......which says to me that you are just trying to use me....and then I can go back to the plasticard! :D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, leopardml2341 said:

Why do I keep buying stuff in the hope that it'll kick start me into action?

1 hour ago, 33C said:

I would often find myself on shop sites or secondhand sites looking for stuff - it's the thrill of the chase that wears off as soon as the new item is plonked onto the railway.  

It's proven hard to fight this, I ended up with a whole set of items for a 3rd rail station - units, locos, wagons before selling the lot because I realised it provided no joy running them 3 foot one way and then three foot the other.

Ditto a N gauge HST that once I'd finally gotten all the coaches for realising the end to end layout was dominated by it, sold that too.

Luckily in the main I got back what I paid so no real harm done, but I still have too much but I have stopped the impulsiveness and understand it is my brain trying to get an adrenaline rush, much happier for it.

• Friendly/supportive 6

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I would often find myself on shop sites or secondhand sites looking for stuff - it's the thrill of the chase that wears off as soon as the new item is plonked onto the railway.  

It's proven hard to fight this, I ended up with a whole set of items for a 3rd rail station - units, locos, wagons before selling the lot because I realised it provided no joy running them 3 foot one way and then three foot the other.

Ditto a N gauge HST that once I'd finally gotten all the coaches for realising the end to end layout was dominated by it, sold that too.

Luckily in the main I got back what I paid so no real harm done, but I still have too much but I have stopped the impulsiveness and understand it is my brain trying to get an adrenaline rush, much happier for it.

Totally understand. It could get expensive! My problem was kits and books until I realised that to make and read them all, I would have to live to be 175! So had a massive cull. Books cut to pure technical knowledge that falls easily to hand, a core stash of kits that I really want to make and complete in the next decade....still got too many but still cutting! Hence my "Cheapo" threads. Bootsale buys into unusual models, quick and easy, cheap and cheerful. As I've said before,  a £1 on a crap train set/ damaged kit turned into something, anything gives my brain a workout for at least a week or more! :locomotive::D

Edited by 33C
Details added
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My mojo seems to be still on the ascendency.

Board three is now done - reduced in height by 1cm to accomodate cassettes, several cassettes tracked up and trains are now back on the track again.  My cassettes ain't the best and I am currently relying on fishplates for electrical conduction but I figured something running is better than no running whilst I do a better solution.

Had my class 40 rolling over the points and a noticeable improvement in running now that I am finally not relying on the point blades to power the frog.

Next up, macros for route setting and some Dapol easi-shunts for loco uncoupling in the station.  I am going to keep at this small chunks to bite off approach.

Just completed a couple of weeks on leave - lots of walking, been good for me and I can see real health improvements as a result of eating less processed meat and more vegetarian dinners.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, 33C said:

Totally understand. It could get expensive! My problem was kits and books until I realised that to make and read them all, I would have to live to be 175! So had a massive cull. Books cut to pure technical knowledge that falls easily to hand, a core stash of kits that I really want to make and complete in the next decade....still got too many but still cutting! Hence my "Cheapo" threads. Bootsale buys into unusual models, quick and easy, cheap and cheerful. As I've said before,  a £1 on a crap train set/ damaged kit turned into something, anything gives my brain a workout for at least a week or more! :locomotive::D

This has worked for me too.  My recent pick-me-ups (as my threads show) have been 1/76 aircraft kits from my teenage years or earlier.  Even my wagons tend to be £2-3 each from job lots or under the table finds from swapmeets.  Being a tightwad at least makes the impulse less expensive and the need to explain to SWMBO.

@woodenheadI've also found it too easy to buy on impulse (tempered by the desire to spend very little, see above) but have found that packing models away in the loft for several years does help.  Finding a model that hasn't seen the light of day for years can be as exciting as getting it for the first time.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Not even fazed that one class 37 isn't responding, the Western is stuttering in one direction (on the rolling road one wheel looks like it is sticking) and a 47 that might need it's boots shaved if I can't get the bogie to go back as it was new (dragging on points - common fault).

• Like 3