Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

Chuffing's last point is a good one; when one is being 'not a happy bunny', one is more sensitive than is normal even for a sufferer and probably more than is rational. .

That's key. Those of us who suffer from depression/anxiety/the black dog, call it what you will, can often be irrationally impacted and affected by a throw away comment, something that can instantly crush confidence. I understand that much of what I feel is illogical but it doesn't stop me feeling like that at times.

This is a forum and a thread for everyone! Whether a 'sufferer' in some ways or not. Anyone should be able to post and comment here and be welcome. I view it as an opportunity to share and also hopeful as a chance to be a 'pick me up' for those in need. Hopefully it can continue in such a way.

Hi Craig,

No need to lecture, there is no Instant gratification in the scales/gauges I model In, as I've shown with the modest pieces of work and posts above.

For me modelling is a diversion from more serious issues in life and work. I have built a number of unique and innovative models over 35 years or so. It is also enjoyable to own something better than one can build.

Dava

Dava - I very much agree. Modelling should be a release from everyday life, from the stress and strain of work and problems. If it does not have a positive impact then it is time to take ot break and/or find something else to offer that release.

Speaking very personally, your own modelling and posts and a shared interest through this online forum have helped my immensely over recent months. I love seeing your progress as you work on some of your unique projects and I thank you for that.

Finally on retail therapy, ordering a new item can have that positive impact but only if it leads to somethig else in my view. I have never pre-ordered an item in my life but I can see the benefit of doing it for something special, giving the opportunity to carefully plan its inclusion in our project/layout/collection and that sense of anticipation can be a positive thing. I am really looking forward to both the LLCo 48ds and Minerva M-W coming to fruition - I know I will only be able to afford and justify one of them and I am still a little undecided as to which to go for (the dreaded anxiety!!), but the act of planning a scheme and layout to utilise them is currently occupying me and is going much enjoyment.

This is a broad hobby, with so many interests and different ways of enjoying it. As long as we canfind out personal niche then however we gain that positive response shouldn't matter. Again personally, at the moment I get that through the planning and design aspect of the hobby. It's not through doing much practical 'modelling' but conversely it's not through 'box opening' either. I don't think that is a bad thing though and I make no apologies for it. If it offers a release in my current situation then that can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i find my mood perceptibly lifted when I have an ongoing project that is going well, as I have at the moment, and ordering stuff on line has a part to play in it as well.  My number plates turned up from Modelmaster yesterday and have been attached to the relevant locos; this has cleared a logjam of work to be finished on some of them, as I prefer to apply my final coat of weathering over the number plates, which look a bit too bright and shiny on a heavily weathered loco otherwise.  A 56xx is in the process of repainting, and can now be finished, and the final touches applied to my 94xx.

My backscene is coming along slowly but nicely as well, and should be finished, at least in it's basic form, this week.  But what happens when I've finished it all?  There will be a short period of immense satisfaction, followed by a 'return to normal' which is a fairly low mood with nothing going on.  I will then, after a while, embark on another project, and the process will start again.  The backdrop is that the rest of my life is in a fairly good place at the moment (long may that continue), but the layout and stock work is at a point of completion that demands projects not yet thought of.

O well.  There are still the long term ongoings, replacing bogies with modern ones where the brakes are in line with the wheels, plodding slowly on with my Taff 'A' kit, but new projects will need new spending.  

I like ordering online, and I like when the item is delivered, but the bit in between is fraught with anxiety and negativity.  What if it's got lost in the post, how long should I leave it before chasing it up, I'll have to re-order and spend more cash, perhaps it'll be out of stock, and so on, and on.  This is at it's worst with eBay items.  So I prefer to buy over the counter from my local shop when I can, even if it costs a bit more (actually a lot more because I always buy stuff I hadn't planned on), not least because it is a trip out and if it's midweek and quiet I can waste an afternoon chatting and browsing; plenty of positivity in that!  Bringing bought items home is a sort of 'man the hunter' deal which is also a bit life affirming.  I even like box opening, but this is only the start of the process for me; there can be both instant and ongoing gratification!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4

Instant gratification is only a short term sugar hit and that is the issue. Unless you actually get up and do something it goes into the cupboard and you quickly descend back to the moribund state you were in.

That is the point that Coach was trying to make.

I have spent a very large part of my life battling with anxiety and I find I am far happier and better balanced when I do things rather than just buy things. Lots of boxes in a cupboard are just things until you actually do something with them.

Procrastination is a terrible then when you have anxiety or depression but the only way to break through it is by doing something.

Maybe his words are harsh, but what Coach said is quite right.

Do something, you will feel far better for it.

Been there, done it. Personal experience talking.

Regards,

Craig W

Which coach are you referring to ? The one who called everyone “ lefty cretins “? I bet that was a real lift for anyone suffering from the black dog

Edited by rob D2

Which coach are you referring to ? The one who called everyone “ lefty cretins “? I bet that was a real lift for anyone suffering from the black dog

Try not to take it too personally and keep the thread positive... I am proud to be a "lefty" and also not embarassed that I suffer from mental illness. Mind whether I am a cretin is up to others to judge I suppose!! ;)

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

Not a sufferer, I give my commiserations for those suffering depression etc. It's not nice to mock this, I don't suffer such (though like most others life has its ups and downs) but know some that do. Talking with them seems to help. I hope those on here who suffer such find solace with their modelling - or just running their models - RTR or not.

As to modelling mojo mine has taken a pronounced dip this year. This is mainly because of other things "more important" to do, car & house repairs, holiday, kids, etc. This autumn I'm having a great clearance of my stuff - the junk has to go !! (and there is tons of it) Though I've done very little actual modelling this year, I run my layouts most days for half an hour - keeps a bit of Mojo going (and the tracks clean etc). Perhaps as both my layouts are more or less complete (bar details, weathering etc) this may be a cause, no big projects to look forward to - just millions of little uns - also we all get older (and dafter !!).

I'm just off to Argos to click and collect an O gauge Lehigh Valley Railroad covered hopper car I won for a grand total of a little over twenty quid. I suppose I could have done without - but the LV is a favourite road. Sometimes, I can't help myself !!!!!

Good luck to all who's mojo is deflated - may it hopefully surface again soon.

Brit15

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

But what happens when I've finished it all?  There will be a short period of immense satisfaction, followed by a 'return to normal' which is a fairly low mood with nothing going on.  I will then, after a while, embark on another project, 

If you are ever struggling to decide what "another project" should be, just set up another one of your little scenarios on Cwmdimbath and tell us the "back story" just as before.  Hopefully it helps you, I certainly find it inspiring.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, I’m feeling positive today...

Won a peak on eBay for under £100,

Bachmann returned my repaired 47

And the Bachmann times droppedthrough my letterbox ....

Jackpot !!

I’m feeling positive today too as I’ve managed to find a new Bachmann 4575 in GWR livery from an online retailer that should be arriving Thursday/Friday

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Try not to take it too personally and keep the thread positive... I am proud to be a "lefty" and also not embarassed that I suffer from mental illness. Mind whether I am a cretin is up to others to judge I suppose!! ;)

I’m not embarrassed about my mental health either it happens to a higher percentage of people than others think

Plus I’d like to hope it’s less of a taboo these days

As far a being a cretin, I was going to ask the moderators if we could have our own section called ‘cretins corner’ where we can hide

• Like 3

That's the one. I ignore gratuitous insults and see if there is an underlying message in there. Sometimes there is and some times there is not.

I just made the point that I think that retail therapy is a short term boost unless you do something with it. I am now 54 and have lived with anxiety since my early 20's. I have found that when I actually dig in and start doing things I feel far better and more motivated about everything. As for insults, I was in the regular army for 10 years, they are water off a ducks back.

Craig w

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had to do some plumbing this week. Bingo! Can't wait to get it finished tomorrow.  Every job done is a job closer to 'my' shed.

Euphoria does indeed lift the dog somewhat. 

I've stopped buying locos, as my focus is now more in tune. However, I've spent a fortune on track...

Ian.

• Like 2

Starting to get back into the swing of it with an O gauge class 15 I’ve been tarting up for a friend.

It’s the first time I’ve been out in the shed doing this sort of thing since April when Abi was still around.

I miss not having her curled up on the floor at my feet or on the seat in the conservatory, from where she could keep an eye on me and occasionally bark or yap to make sure I was paying attention to her and not just the current project!

Still, there’s lots to do and the rebuilding of the other shed will see more a suitable spot for working in, especially in winter conditions.

I’ll need to get back on the Vit D tabs shortly but apart from Tuesdays my mood’s overall not so bad at the moment.

Davy.

Edited by Mad McCann

I was about to start fitting Laserglaze to a Heljan 26 but clearly I hadn’t sufficiently fettled the windscreen panel and it snapped at a corner.

Funny how a little thing like that can wreck your motivation. I did stick an enamel wash over the model but it still knocked the jam out of my doughnut a bit. In truth, I generally find that if I haven’t got into my modelling by say 19:30 I’m a bit tired to properly concentrate on a task and I just find an excuse to do something else. I find it’s more a mental than physical tiredness.

Less apparent during my days off but although understandable after a long day at the wheel it’s a little frustrating when days off are the same.

D.

To conclude my previous post on a more positive note though, I went for a brew and came back. It occurred to me that there was no schedule on the job so I could just take my time and plowter on through it; I can worry about the replacement screen when I get to it. Taking my time and doing each panel carefully I got one end of the loco done and to be fair, it’s not too bad!

Perhaps forgetting we’re doing this for enjoyment is the cause of misplaced haste, leading to mistakes and frustration on the part of many of us.

post-22467-0-45977300-1536769446_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mad McCann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It’s a phone cam thing wee pal! Go to original pic on phone, rotate it either way and save. Then rotate it to correct orientation and save again, then reload on forum, normally sorts it :)

Edit: ps nice work!

Edited by PMP

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all. Been a while since I last posted. 

First just to say I have been 'off' Sertraline for about a month now and so far I'm not too bad.

Next, has anyone been looking at the (seemingly) recent developments regarding the linked between 'gut health' and mental health? I first became aware of this some time back and may have even mentioned it on here as regards the accepted issues with mental health of many of those that are Coeliac or Non Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant (NDGI)? 

I have been reminded of this interesting thinking with the situation where a Nutritionist friend of ours (SWMBO and myself), has been working with a well known private Mental Health support service that are wanting to take a serious look at the diets of their clients and provision of food for in-patients.

My understanding is quite basic in that I recognise that lack of certain, minerals, vitamins and essential nutritional elements along with the depletive effect of some medication can cause malfunction of brain function.

Has anyone got any thoughts or direct experience on this particular thinking? I have some if anyone is interested.

Phil

I believe that all manner of things, including diet, have an impact on wellbeing, brain and bodily function. One of the most startling bodily effects of my taking early retirement was that my hair suddenly became far less greasy. I'm not sure whether this was purely down to the loss of regular stresses that work might bring, or just because I had changed my routine, but the effect has been maintained now for several years. 

For decades I had believed my hair was naturally greasy, but have discovered that my lifestyle was to blame. 

I also find that certain foodstuffs bring up patches of eczema on my skin. I am still trying to fathom out the precise causes because few items of the suspected foods have single ingredients. However, I think soy sauce is one. My wife used to get a throat irritation which made her cough for an hour or so after some meals, and after a long process of elimination we narrowed it down to gravy granules of various flavours. 

As for brain function, or at least long term memory; I decided to write down my childhood recollections after the death of my mother many years ago, because she was a mine of information about those years but it was all in her head and when she died so did her memories, and I didn't want my children to lose so much detail on my passing. 

I found it quite easy to just enter everything (probably not 100% accurate) I could remember into a Word document, and the memory of one event would tend to trigger others from the same time. However, within months of writing, I discovered that my brain just gave up on those memories as if there was no point in retaining that information any more because it had been saved electronically. If I read some of the paragraphs in my memoirs now, I am quite shocked at the detail I have recalled and some events I can barely remember at all which is quite worrying, because a few years ago they were clear in my mind. 

This may just be part of the ageing process, but seems to have coincided with my writings. 

• Like 2