Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

.....What makes my progress so slow however ... is the rule of modelling that I now realise I should have included in my route to excellence posting above.

8, Never start a new modelling project until you've finished your last.

I have to concentrate on one thing alone, start something new and the chances of me returning to finish the old project diminish rapidly.

Having said that I have returned to lining my loco, after farting about with my new lathe for a couple of months, so there's some hope for me.

Once again I am breaking my rule no.7 and spending more time on Rmweb when I should have my bow compasses usefully employed. :no:

All very interesting - which just goes to shew 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'.

I do agree with your last line.

dh

footnote:

How I loved my beautiful Riefler ink pens and compasses in their dark blue velvet lined case.

Then we had to change up to infernally messy Graphos pens with their inky interchangeable knibs (which were like dead cockroaches when you trod on them). Last were tubular Rapidograph pen sets - before inputtiing data on screen arrived.

A number of my former colleagues still remember my first day at an international engineering consultancy trying to impress with my concentration at the drawing board.

I kept shaking my  0.2 Rapidograph repeatedly to keep the Indian ink flowing, unaware that (to their barely concealed delight) I kept spraying the light grey worsted suit trousers of the bumptious Associate quietly appraising me, who ran the London HQ drawing office.

I got posted off to uncomfortable foreign climes very quickly!

dh

That is an interesting dialogue between these two modellers.

If not working to commission deadlines, I fall somewhere in between the two personally:

1 I don't mind leaving things things partially completed to come back to after a while. The passage of time allows me to be a better judge of my attempts.

2 So therefore I actually enjoy experimenting with a new idea....the degree to which it is a failure or not, only time will allow me to discover.

More often than not there is a fair proportion of failure discernible looking at things with a fresh critical eye. You can see what to do to rework them.

dh

It might depend on the reason for the partial completion, if I run out of time or materials I don't have a problem going back to it at a later date. However the usual main reason I stop and move on to the next project is I get stuck with a problem I can't solve. That's exactly where my parkside VEA kit is at, I couldn't work out from the instructions or pictures where something went.

Just had another thought, my lack of layout progress might be as I really enjoy the carpentry, that's not to say I don't enjoy the rest, just not as much. So I'll happily woodwork away.

Edited by Norm81
  • Like 1

Wow. I have just found this thread.

Thank god it's not just me!

I started my layout a few years back, and all was going well. Then some personal problems hit and my wife also got attacked at work. She ended up having her knee broken by a patient at where she worked and due to other health issues had to leave her job (and I am glad she did). This ended up causing a major impact with money, which in turn leads onto a troublesome home life. She got a new job which eased things, and we got a finances back in order after a lot of hard work for the pair of us. Then it was the turn of my job, I managed to move wards at work (out of the frying pan and into the fire!), but I feel better for it in myself.

Now I have found time to get back and involved in my local steam railway, bought some more stock for my layout, and even found time and energy to do a bit of work on it.

What I have found to be useful (like others have said), is to set myself a small goal. I am working on one board at a time. This months task is to paint the track on that board. Granted, it's not a big job, but every little helps.

Now having found this thread, and typed this I feel like I have been to the Betty Ford clinic!!!!

Kind regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I think I can safely speak for my fellow threadees by saying that we are glad if we helped, Ian; sorry to hear of your troubles and especially what happened to Mrs Ian, and glad that things are getting less fraught.  You are not alone!

After getting back into the loft today I've sorted everything out I can now reach the boards. I've pulled the track up, removed the ballast I had put down badly and repainted the board green. Gonna make a plan for my next day off again that I can achieve. Also this one will be proper planned out rather then just playing it by ear and messing it up.

Big james

Edited by Big James
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Interesting points there Runs as Required.

With regard to leaving things partially completed and coming back that is my method too but it quite often takes a long while. (see the unfathomable reasons set out above) I know if I followed my own advice I'd have the model finished in no time and probably pretty much to my own satisfaction to judge by the few models I have finally completed.

I think it's a combination of fear of failure and laziness to be honest that holds me back. What makes my progress so slow however the real blocker is the rule of modelling that I now realise I should have included in my route to excellence posting above.

I have to concentrate on one thing alone, start something new and the chances of me returning to finish the old project diminish rapidly.

Having said that I have returned to lining my loco, after farting about with my new lathe for a couple of months, so there's some hope for me.

At the moment I'm still feeling my way into etched kit assembly, and to be quite honest I'm doing alright, but every step is a step into the unknown with corresponding mental angst.

In fields of modelling where I feel more confident I too am much more ready to experiment it's just at the moment I'm careful, very careful, to the detriment of my modelling output.

Once again I am breaking my rule no.7 and spending more time on Rmweb when I should have my bow compasses usefully employed. :no:

So here I am 2 months later, did I ever finish that loco?

YES  I did! took a couple of months of dithering but I got there. Living proof that modellers block need not be permanent.

post-13703-0-02044900-1510950963.jpg

post-13703-0-59076800-1510950994.jpg

Don't procrastinate just get on and do it! If I can anyone can, believe me.

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 10

Never in the field of human conflict was so little modelling done in so long a time, by so few.

Iain Popplewell (modelling ditherer and ex fighter ace.) :jester: 

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd resurrect this, as despite having nowhere to work I managed to do some modelling (on the kitchen bench of all places).

38704570694_af420f5560_c.jpgIMG_0333 by N W, on Flickr

Both were free kits with a railway modelling magazine. Just noticed I forgot to detail the upper floors of the shop despite changing the shop to be different from the two supplied options. I also put the sign on the weighbridge hut lower down than on the ridge and made a couple of brackets from scrap card as it looked better.

Neither might make it onto a layout (weighbridge hut is too early in era anyway) but I learned a fair bit about card kits. One being it's very difficult to get a felt tip the right colour to match brickwork, as due to the kit being grey card all colours come out darker than expected.

• Like 4

For touching them up try watercolour pencils. You can get a good selection pretty cheap from places like The Works in sets like this.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/drawing-pencils/boldmere-watercolour-pencils---set-of-24/5052089209480

They usually have a good mix of colours such as browns and greens.

Jason

With regard to leaving things partially completed and coming back that is my method too but it quite often takes a long while. (see the unfathomable reasons set out above) I know if I followed my own advice I'd have the model finished in no time and probably pretty much to my own satisfaction to judge by the few models I have finally completed.

I think it's a combination of fear of failure and laziness to be honest that holds me back. What makes my progress so slow however the real blocker is the rule of modelling that I now realise I should have included in my route to excellence posting above.

That one is definitely my downfall- I've not done any serious modelling in a good five years, a combination of personal issues, house move, job/career change and other things going on in life being too much of a distraction, but I've always had a tendency that when the going gets tough with a project, to put it to one side and start something else.

Of course that something else then gets put aside until later as soon as something doesn't fit or I realise I haven't got the right paint/transfers/wheels/couplings etc. in stock to finish it- the result is that my box of unbuilt wagon kits is equalled in size by my box of half-finished/finished but needs painting and lettering wagon kits- and some of them have been sitting in that box for close to a decade now...

I'm gearing up to embark on my first proper layout since my teens this spring, and my New Year's resolution is to have some of this stuff finished so I can run it on the new layout

This is a cracking thread and one I can relate to in many ways.

I've always been passionate about trains (both real and model) and any 'missus' Ive ever had has to either accept that, or off.

The one thing I've always got from girls is "you love your trains more than you love me" etc etc ad infinitum, they don't get it (apologies to the ladies on here that do).

The point is, I may love my missus more than life itself, BUT (big but) I will still always be obsessed with railways and nothing you can do will ever change that.

Yep trains (and restoring old buses) is a very important part of my life but that doesn't mean I think any less of my the girl I happen to be involved with.

It's like comparing apples with oranges.

I often take time out from this ferroequine obsession, but it will never leave me and for those who think they can change that (current girlfriends, let's be honest) are on a hiding to nothing.

Be who you are. Some people are obsessed with golf, or football, or aircraft or whatever and GOOD ON THEM if that's what they're passionate about. Doesn't mean you have to be any less passionate about your current partner but sometimes it's impossible to explain that to them that getting off over 306017 is not the same thing as getting off over them.

Not the same emotion at all, and if it were then perhaps we should all be in prison.

If your current missus/partner cannot accept you for who you are, then perhaps they don't deserve you as an other half in the first place.

Rant over

For now

Reminds me of the bloke whose wife said: "You love City more than me!"

"Heck", he replied, "I love United more than you!"

On a more serious note, the support of the "other half" has an importance that cannot be exaggerated. I'd probably be dead without my missus. Quite literally. But she has never once objected to my interest in railways or the money spent thereon. So I count myself blessed.

• Like 2

My wife has always thought that my interest in railways and modelling them 'cute and endearing', but if when we first met I had said I was into football, she'd have walked away seconds later. We (and the children) have done loads of railway related together so it has become a family way of life. To me, modelling is the top of a pyramid, whereby all other needs have to be met before the hobby can continue, a bit similar to Maslow's hierarchy of needs for modellers for those unfortunate to have had to grapple with it!

• Like 1

I may have said this before, if so, please forgive me; but for me railways and modelling them has always been my number one ‘hobby’. I say number one, perhaps ‘only’ would be more accurate. My wife of almost 31 years has only until recently been able to fully appreciate the therapeutic nature that modelling has for me. Due to a nervous breakdown in March of last year (which I would say I am 95% over thank God), modelling and the art of producing something really rather good with my imagination and hands was therapy of the most exquisite nature. She is more supportive of my hobby now than ever which she sees as more than just a hobby. It is an activity that occupies my mind, gives me focus and is incredibly rewarding. All of these aspects I am sure help to speed my recovery. I may have also said this before, but my Railway Shed and workshop have literally been a life-saver to me and I feel very blessed to have them and also to be able to share all this with like-minded souls such as yourselves. Happy 2018 to you all and don’t be too hard on yourself. Only look back to see how far you have come.

• RMweb Gold

That one is definitely my downfall- I've not done any serious modelling in a good five years, a combination of personal issues, house move, job/career change and other things going on in life being too much of a distraction, but I've always had a tendency that when the going gets tough with a project, to put it to one side and start something else.

Of course that something else then gets put aside until later as soon as something doesn't fit or I realise I haven't got the right paint/transfers/wheels/couplings etc. in stock to finish it- the result is that my box of unbuilt wagon kits is equalled in size by my box of half-finished/finished but needs painting and lettering wagon kits- and some of them have been sitting in that box for close to a decade now...

I'm gearing up to embark on my first proper layout since my teens this spring, and my New Year's resolution is to have some of this stuff finished so I can run it on the new layout

Being in a not dissimilar situation about 15 months ago, I found the hardest part was starting; I believe Confucious said something about a journey of a thousand miles starting with a single step.

Break it down into achievable lumps which will give you a drip feed of satisfaction and not represent a major disaster to the whole project if you fail to achieve one, but just becomes a setback and rethink.  Cheat; praise yourself for achievement but don't blame yourself for setbacks.  Try to finish jobs in one go if you can, because leaving them unfinished is demoralising and leads to small parts going missing.  Most of all, have fun!

It's like climbing a mountain.  It can feel tough, but then you look back and see how far you've come, with the view getting better all the time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My wife has always thought that my interest in railways and modelling them 'cute and endearing', but if when we first met I had said I was into football, she'd have walked away seconds later. We (and the children) have done loads of railway related together so it has become a family way of life. To me, modelling is the top of a pyramid, whereby all other needs have to be met before the hobby can continue, a bit similar to Maslow's hierarchy of needs for modellers for those unfortunate to have had to grapple with it!

My current squeeze is accepting and supportive, which is something of a first and makes her a 'keeper'.  She admires the creativity of it and is becoming a reasonably good operator/driver, which she loves doing!  Her problem, if anything, is the amount of time I 'waste' on this site when I should be listening to her inane prattlings and gossip, so you have to have a bit of give and take.  She has a point; the site interferes with my (our?) modelling and a new year's resolution is to reduce visits to one a day.  This is my second today, so I'm not doing very well...

My current squeeze is accepting and supportive, which is something of a first and makes her a 'keeper'.  She admires the creativity of it and is becoming a reasonably good operator/driver, which she loves doing!  Her problem, if anything, is the amount of time I 'waste' on this site when I should be listening to her inane prattlings and gossip, so you have to have a bit of give and take.  She has a point; the site interferes with my (our?) modelling and a new year's resolution is to reduce visits to one a day.  This is my second today, so I'm not doing very well...

That's a massive point regarding time wasted on this site! My god the progress that could be achieved if it was all spent constructing or doing stuff. Thanks for the reminder, and maybe I'll get on with preparing the space for the next project instead of continually checking how everyone else's procrastination is getting on.  :thankyou:

• RMweb Premium

I find that I can use music to influence my mojo, especially when I’m in one of those listless moods and struggling to get stuck into anything. Easy to listen to, flowing music works best for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Be who you are. Some people are obsessed with golf, or football, or aircraft or whatever and GOOD ON THEM if that's what they're passionate about. Doesn't mean you have to be any less passionate about your current partner but sometimes it's impossible to explain that to them that getting off over 306017 is not the same thing as getting off over them.

The TV series, just finished, "The Detectorists" articulated this perfectly and is a minor masterpiece.  It might have been about metal detecting as a hobby, but the characters could just have easily been interested and slightly obsessive about railway modelling, birdwatching, fishing, classic motorbikes.....  Their partners didn't "get" their hobby, gently ribbed them about it but were supportive and saw that it did them all a great deal of good.

• Like 2

I find that I can use music to influence my mojo, especially when I’m in one of those listless moods and struggling to get stuck into anything. Easy to listen to, flowing music works best for me.

I have recently taken to catching up on 6 series of Peaky Blinders on the iPad whilst scribing brickwork. That gets your mojo going...

And just like that, I'm back down again. Big thanks goes to my better half as her patience and support is helping a great deal. Long story short, I was in a minor road accident and have written off my car. A car I loved to drive and has been in the family for a number of years, I feel like I've lost a friend. Worse still it was my fault so have lost my no claims and my premiums are sure to go up. This has put a temporary hold on other things and its knocked me for six. No-one was hurt (I'm a bit dubious over the other claimants claims of a sore neck, thats a bye-the-bye though).

What's bothering me a bit is the insurance company would rather write off the car than repair it, seems very wasteful as the other 95% of the car was still ok. I get that there could be safety implications, but it seems like overkill.

Now I have to find, buy and insure a car.

This has put a temporary hold on my Roundhouse Billy kit build, so I am really under the weather. I feel physically exhausted and just want to escape.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about your setback, Coldgunner.  if the bump was your fault you will inevitably be blaming yourself, but try not to beat yourself up too much; you are a human being (AFAIK), and we f*@k up a bit sometimes!  It might help to step back a bit and put things in perspective, but just now the world, or at any rate a part of it that is significant to you, has turned against you, and the loss of your car is not being helped by the blame game and the insurance company's attitude.  I know this is easier advice to giver than to take, but try to prioritise the positives; you were not injured, or worse, hopefully nobody was.  The no-claims can eventually be rebuilt, and, who knows, the next car might be as good or better than the one written off.  

It will depend on your mood, but if you can generate a bit of mojo a modelling or operating session might distract from your troubles, and a bit of minor retail therapy, perhaps a couple of goods wagons, might help as well.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

Don't know whether it helps but you can elect to keep your car and they subtract the (perceived) value from any cash settlement. Someone drove into my side door last week, minor dent and scratches. Insurance could still write off due to value of car, waiting to hear.

Son had his perfectly good car taken away when he could have repaired it himself for not a lot of money. Similar thing happened to a friend who slightly bent his LR Discovery, he managed to get it back, cost about £300 to repair using S/H parts.

• Like 1