A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

There has been quite a stall in work on Nampara, mostly due to family and rash promises to do stuff for other people. However, one thing I achieved today in a brief moment if post school run tranquility was a map of the line. 
AB60BA1B-9A1D-43CF-A74D-10B4515FB721.jpeg.6f79700730c8ed97593b7f589cda31f7.jpeg
So what we have is the Broad Gauge line to Nampara (Perranporth in another universe) leaving the Cornwall Railway just east of Truro and then heading up the Idless valley until it is crossed by what is now the A30 at Little Tresawen crossing. In the vicinity of Callestick and Marazanvose is the summit and the line crosses the watershed and starts its decent to Nampara. At Perranwell Junction the line meets the ‘narrow’ gauge extension by the Cornwall Minerals Railway from Sheppherds. From Perranwell junction the line is mixed gauge to Nampara and the New Quay extension.

Hope this fills in the picture Captain Kernow!

Duncan 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, drduncan said:

There has been quite a stall in work on Nampara, mostly due to family and rash promises to do stuff for other people. However, one thing I achieved today in a brief moment if post school run tranquility was a map of the line. 
So what we have is the Broad Gauge line to Nampara (Perranporth in another universe) leaving the Cornwall Railway just east of Truro and then heading up the Idless valley until it is crossed by what is now the A30 at Little Tresawen crossing. In the vicinity of Callestick and Marazanvose is the summit and the line crosses the watershed and starts its decent to Nampara. At Perranwell Junction the line meets the ‘narrow’ gauge extension by the Cornwall Minerals Railway from Sheppherds. From Perranwell junction the line is mixed gauge to Nampara and the New Quay extension.

Hope this fills in the picture Captain Kernow!

Duncan 

@Stubby47

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That eventually led me to Porthcurno. If the layout is still set in 1891, maybe a wagon with cable and equipment for the telegraph station?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, drduncan said:

@steve howe does this ring any bells?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

That eventually led me to Porthcurno. If the layout is still set in 1891, maybe a wagon with cable and equipment for the telegraph station?

Porthcurno is quite a long way south west of Truro, way beyond Penzance.

Ok, to help further, all the place names are accurate except Nampara, which is really Perranporth, the map itself was traced from the OS 1:25000 sheet covering Truro and surrounding area. I’m afraid my map making skills aren’t up to a freehand map showing west and central Cornwall but I’ll look for a suitable exemplar I can butcher. Having laid out the line on the 1:25000 map I should be able (time permitting) to produce the gradient profile for the line too. 

The villages/hamlets of Callestick and Marazanvose are about 3/4 Miles equidistant from the station I have plopped down and I’m imagining  that with the mines and quarries in the vicinity it is a significant block station able to pass passenger trains. (Marazanvose is in reality very small but it is mentioned in the novels so had to be on the line somehow). Similarly Idless station is a passing point. The hamlet of Chynoweth (again it really exists and was the maiden name for Elizabeth Poldark) has just a platform and siding (unless significant industry not apparent on the OS map comes to light).

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 2

Oh, and the CMR extension from Sheppherds (about 2 miles to the east) as well as the mixed gauge from Perranwell junction into Nampara/Perranporth follow the path of the real line from Newquay to Chacewater (if that helps anyone’s situational awareness).

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Porthcurno is quite a long way south west of Truro, way beyond Penzance.

Ah, I thought we were in fantasy land here :). I assumed that Duncan had lifted Nampara beach from "Poldark", which in the TV series was filmed at  Porthcurno.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/nbVFGmB7lFVmJJKpjrCQV/poldarks-cornwall-locations

• Like 2

Mikkel,

It is a fantasy land - just Winston Graham’s (as far as geography and history before 1819) and mine (railways and post 1819 history) not that of a BBC producer and the location manager who may not actually have read the books... I prefer mine and Winston’s!

I’m still trying to work out where some of his locations are. St Anne’s is St Agnes (reality). I think Swale Combe is one of the valleys running out of Hollywell (or it might be Perranporth - I’m not sure)  I’m not sure where Trenwith house is but I think it might be around Mount or Rose inland of Perranporth beach.

D

• Informative/Useful 2

51 minutes ago, drduncan said:

I’m not sure where Trenwith house is

The "real" Trenwith is Chavenage House in Gloucestershire. ' Warleggan' and 'Demelza' are both (real) place names in Cornwall but, more's the pity, there isn't a character called 'Twowatersfoot' or 'Catchfrench' in the novels (which, like 'Nanpara for Hendrawna' shows that not everywhere west of the Tamar starts with Tre, Pol or Pen). 

I'm enjoying the rearranged geography of Cornwall and the railway developments of Nanpara very much - looking forward to more!

Kit PW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, Poldark...

I remember watching the original series, at home in N Wales and thinking Truro was a mythical place, far, far away.

Now we live only 3 miles away. Didn't watch the new series, so Nampedra meant nothing, but now I understand the references.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/07/2017 at 20:05, Captain Kernow said:

Do you have an area plan showing the line in relation to the Cornish main line and other routes, please?

After a mere 4 years I have now done so...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

And I've updated the first post with the maps I posted here over the last few days, as well as updating the history of the line (and its less than happy relationship with the CMR - at least up until the CMR leased itself to the GWR).

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've just been looking through this post with some interest as I live between Perranporth and Goonhavern. I'm not sure if you are aware that there really was a proposal in 1874 to construct a railway, to be called ‘The Truro & Perran Mineral Railway’  a scheme proposed in 1872 to construct a railway from Treamble to Truro to convey iron ore directly to the Truro River at Newham. The line would have passed through the Treamble valley, crossing the Truro – Newquay road at Goonhavern, passing Zelah and heading south through Kenwyn parish to a junction with the Cornwall Railway at the east end of Carvedras viaduct.

post-7471-0-11429900-1422145241_thumb.jpg.3cf814c69fb4946b11477ae77d775cf5.jpg

The Act empowered the Company to lay a third rail on the Cornwall Railway’s broad gauge to allow it to run through to a junction with the West Cornwall Railway at Penwithers (later Penwethers Junction) The T&PMR would have had running rights over the West Cornwall route down to the river at Truro (Newham) where it intended to construct blast furnaces on the banks of the Truro River and ship finished steel out by sea. The Cornwall Minerals Railway however had already staked its claim on the Treamble iron mines by opening its Treamble Branch (known as the Perran Extension) in 1874. Accordingly the T&PMR revised its scheme and proposed a deviation from near Zelah to a triangular junction with the CMR near Shepherds. This would have allowed trains to run direct from Treamble or Newquay to Truro.

Had these schemes come to fruition, the advantages of a direct route from Truro to Newquay are obvious and the railway map of mid-Cornwall would have looked very different to that which subsequently evolved when the GWR opened its connection to the mainline at Chacewater in 1905, with interim stations at St Agnes and Perranporth.

My own fictional interpretation of these events is here:

Steve

Edited by steve howe
link
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 25/07/2017 at 22:37, Phil Bullock said:

Watch out - he'll want a map of local sausage emporia next...

I can highly recommend Chapman Bros. in Perranporth .... best sausage by a country mile!

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the post…very interesting and informative. I’ve also enjoyed your East Rose thread as well as seeing the layout some time ago at, I think, S4um.

I’ll think about the 1874 scheme and see if I can work bits of it in to the story.

Regards,

Duncan

• Like 1

Just now, bgman said:

Er.....any progress on a certain loco build Duncan ? 

Just asking for a friend :)

Which one? (Loco not friend)

The 3521st is probably closest to test printing (in fact I think the inner chassis is ready). The Hawthorn next, then the 3521t, then the 1392 as I have to work out how to do the motion bracket etc. All need the boiler and smoke box fittings too…and I’m struggling to work out how to do the chimney, done and sv base flares.

D

• Like 1

Errr.  That could be either the 1076St Buffalo that Gareth promises is nearly finished, or the Keyser BG Rover.  The body for this is nearly finished - just needs the details added, but has stalled over a chassis - or lack thereof.  Charlie Wade of this parish sent me one his his 3d printed ones to see if that would fit (it didn't, worse luck) so I'm vainly hoping that one of Kay Butler's profile milled chassis frames will come up somehow, and if not I'll start hacking at nickel silver. 

D

7 minutes ago, drduncan said:

the 1076St Buffalo

That's the one, sorry I forgot, it was the Gibson kit as I recall now. 

I just happen to have one of Kays milled chassis in my "stash" somewhere as I was involved with the initial model many years ago ( there is an acknowledgment on the instruction sheet mis-spelling my name.....nothing unusual there then ! ) .

My revised Rover kit will get built one day having made the tender and drive unit to power it. The milled chassis for both the loco and tender work extremely well.

G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2021 at 09:29, bgman said:

That's the one, sorry I forgot, it was the Gibson kit as I recall now. 

I just happen to have one of Kays milled chassis in my "stash" somewhere as I was involved with the initial model many years ago ( there is an acknowledgment on the instruction sheet mis-spelling my name.....nothing unusual there then ! ) .

My revised Rover kit will get built one day having made the tender and drive unit to power it. The milled chassis for both the loco and tender work extremely well.

G

The conversion to Broad Gauge is covered here. A little more has happened since the last post, but I do seem to have accidentally taken the summer off… 

• Like 1