A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Yes, you accidently fell into a Jaguar engine bay and struggled to find your way out! :) You wouldn't have had that problem if you had listened to me and got an MGB (or better a C - tailor made for straight American roads as you apparently can't persuade the damn things to go round corners.  Something to do with the extra weight of the Austin Healey inline 6 cylinder engine... B's are perfect though...)

Still, the photos of the Buffalo with the saddle tank all beautifully riveted got me very excited....

D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You might need two garages. One for the classic car and one for the model railway unless you get an envy inducing basement in the property that can house a dead scale reproduction of the entire Cornish railway network from Plymouth to Penzance in 1912….

• Like 1

I’ll be demonstrating 3D design and printing at today’s SHMRC show at Admiral Lord Nekson School in Portsmouth. I’ll have some hard copy examples if the stock being built for Nampara as well as electronic versions to critique! Do come by abs say hello at Stand 17 if you are attending.

Duncan

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

So after a hiatus work has resumed on Nampara (but work on stock had been going on via my 3D workbench thread).

Over the last 2 weeks I’ve been managing 2-3 hrs each morning as officially sanctioned occupational therapy to regain fine motor skills! Makes brain injuries almost worth having…

This has meant that not only has the 3D work progresses - a U20 (bg body on bg frames) been designed and printed but the U21 (if I remembered correctly) ng body on bg frames is currently slowly emerging from the resin vat.

On Nampara the last two track panels have been rapidly progressing (for me anyway) to the point where only a few cosmetic fishplates are needed, 6 slide chairs on the last (and smallest panel) and the smallest track panel wired remain to be done.2861A541-8529-4FA8-9BA0-A3C3427CB45E.jpeg.44f2efad5e36753e65f1b8509d10366c.jpeg

The point even works with my highly experimental cleminson chassis 6w BG fish truck goes through it ok!

8D395C2A-94EA-49D2-A8B3-3270F5F538B8.jpeg.1d1c5e536845e1da3484be7f4b0206f5.jpeg

Hopefully by the end of the week these jobs will be done, the track painted and maybe even track bed prepared! Who knows???? The next thing you know I’ll be running a train under power!

Duncan

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So over the last couple of days I’ve finished painting, wiring and continuity testing the last 2 track panels.

0DDB22B3-60CF-4878-AFE4-40D3145DC866.jpeg.dfb67fb22d7d8e27f24f866cabf7c08b.jpeg

Here they have been offered up on the baseboard and show the scenic area. Those that think they can see a mismatch between the closest (and first completed panel) and the new ones are correct. After finished the first panel I decided to reduce the reverse curve running through the platform road, and now will adjust the alignment on the original panel.

And wiring loom/runs and point drives have been marked in, as well as the first bit of underlay (camping mat) cut to shape.

7A6A275E-AC5D-4685-BA1A-5C76C33B0ECD.jpeg.f8a1e32b094dbffc86f56bf9cebc1109.jpeg

8C126F39-3FDE-4365-BC36-A6BFAE4F3EAA.jpeg.816ca8b5caa554c971afc46137d326e2.jpeg

In all the to-ing and fro-ing I only broke 2 wires off (result 👍)- ones that I had used the rather nice Eileen’s Emporium etched fish plates that have a small tag for soldering wires to. I had been concerned that they wouldn’t like the movement and this is not a dig at the product; if soldered in place and left alone I think they would be perfect, but I was worried about the heat affecting the camping mat underlay. If you used cork I think there wouldn’t be a problem soldering in situ.

Next job more track bed work and I really need to start in the control panel. Does anyone have the skill to do one of those lovely pseudo signal box diagrams for the Nampara track plan as a massive favour?

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

I'll be demonstrating 3D printing and CAD at the South Hants MRC show in Portsmouth this Saturday.  Hopefully - resin and 3d printing gods permitting - I'll have samples of the BG U20, U21 and BG N6 loco coal wagon as well as the SG U21, U28 and N6 for Nampara for people to look at.  

Do come by and say hello if you are coming to the show.  The show is open on Saturday 19 November at Admiral Lord Nelson's School, Portsmouth, 1030 to 1630. See https://www.shmrc.org.uk/exhibition/ for details.

Regards,

Duncan

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

So, work has stalled on Nampara for a few weeks. ‘So what’s new?’ I don’t hear you cry…

Well, I’ve been building a new layout - train set really. A 4 circuit layout with iron ore tipper, turntable and end to end branch line!
99847985-4EC1-4CC9-BC49-AE8CC791EF6A.jpeg.d8a45156089b3cadd944db9c098362e4.jpeg

Yes it OO gauge and includes much Hornby toy stuff. The rationale was simple. No 1 son had an N gauge twin track roundy roundy: this gave clear water between Teddy’s trains and Daddy’s trains. He was joined as mood demanded by daughter No 1. All was good. Then the twins learnt to climb the loft ladder and the sight of them trying to play with his n gauge sent Teddy loopy.

Now we have a OO gauge solution that little hands will be able to cope with. It only involved rearranging the attic, including moving my rather heavy lathe, and pretty every spare moment since mid November. Fingers crossed it will be ready to play with on Christmas Day.

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 13

On 13/12/2022 at 16:09, drduncan said:

So, work has stalled on Nampara for a few weeks. ‘So what’s new?’ I don’t hear you cry…

Well, I’ve been building a new layout - train set really. A 4 circuit layout with iron ore tipper, turntable and end to end branch line!
99847985-4EC1-4CC9-BC49-AE8CC791EF6A.jpeg.d8a45156089b3cadd944db9c098362e4.jpeg

Yes it OO gauge and includes much Hornby toy stuff. The rationale was simple. No 1 son had an N gauge twin track roundy roundy: this gave clear water between Teddy’s trains and Daddy’s trains. He was joined as mood demanded by daughter No 1. All was good. Then the twins learnt to climb the loft ladder and the sight of them trying to play with his n gauge sent Teddy loopy.

Now we have a OO gauge solution that little hands will be able to cope with. It only involved rearranging the attic, including moving my rather heavy lathe, and pretty every spare moment since mid November. Fingers crossed it will be ready to play with on Christmas Day.

Duncan

Please, please, please start a thread for this layout (train set). I started with something like this, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It will be a nostalgia fest with, I bet, a lot of followers.

(I just noticed the BR blue Hymek. That was my first engine).

Best wishes

Cam

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Much to no1 sons dismay, the blue Hymek, which he has been cherishing for over 2 years since he found it in a box of my old bits and pieces seems to be dead. Post mortem in the new year…

Thinking about it, I don’t think it has been run since the mid 1980s.

Edited by drduncan
Additional info
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Probably - hopefully - the final post on the non Nampara layout for a while…

This evening no 1 son put out three trains and three circuits were tested and found to be ok. The permanent way inspector found one slipped fish plate that will require the medium term attentions of the track gang, but nothing to stop fun on Xmas day. The branch hasn’t been tested as a girder plate bridge needs to be fabricated to provide support where the branch crosses the outer two circuits.

The fourth (inner most circuit is incomplete because the diamond crossing hasn’t yet reached the site (despite being purchased a while ago). As for the non-arrival of a track setta, this has the track gang cursing at length over the last 2 weeks - work arounds we’re devised which, well, worked so far as the breakdown crane hasn’t had to move from its siding.

65B9D0C6-3CA9-4005-AC31-7C52F949BB02.jpeg.a51f2401ec5c53c8a62b22f73ade8136.jpeg

D3E5B6E4-C6F4-4BC2-92CB-A3FDA322765B.jpeg.d6f250e0a3973822a28ad0cab4f15a1b.jpeg

Some stations are in the future (Superquick kits) after the bridge works, mods to the Peak D141 (missing couplings) and the completion of the inner circuit. But most of all, after some work on Nampara! (Gareth says he has finished the BG buffalo so I’d better get something to run it on….)

Edited by drduncan
Spooling errorz
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

21 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

You son must be thrilled, he is very lucky. 

I expect the Hymek will be replaced with a green steam loco? The board at Paddington expect nothing less!

Hi Mikkel,

I hope he and the other 3 will be happy with it!

The current roster is:

GW 61xx (Airfix GMR)

LMS Royal Scot class (Airfix GMR)

BR lines black ex GW Collett Goods (Mainline)

BR Blue Peak D141 (Bachmann)

The Peak and the Collett goods are ex EM projects either reverted to oo or unstarted. There is a Bachmann BR ex GW 45xx that could be reverted if I can get a set of oo wheels/motion for it, a Mainline GW 66x body, Bachmann 3750pt and Replica 57xxpt that all want for chassis (even EM ones - god knows what I did with the OO chassis). On nostalgia grounds I might try to get a cheapo Hornby GW King - Henry VIII for preference. I’d like to get them a working TPO for play value but complete ones are rare on that auction site and I imagine I’d end up having to get 4 to stop arguments.

I think no 1 son would like the Hymek restored to health…

D

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, drduncan said:

Probably - hopefully - the final post on the non Nampara layout for a while…

This evening no 1 son put out three trains and three circuits were tested and found to be ok. The permanent way inspector found one slipped fish plate that will require the medium term attentions of the track gang, but nothing to stop fun on Xmas day. The branch hasn’t been tested as a girder plate bridge needs to be fabricated to provide support where the branch crosses the outer two circuits.

The fourth (inner most circuit is incomplete because the diamond crossing hasn’t yet reached the site (despite being purchased a while ago). As for the non-arrival of a track setta, this has the track gang cursing at length over the last 2 weeks - work arounds we’re devised which, well, worked so far as the breakdown crane hasn’t had to move from its siding.

65B9D0C6-3CA9-4005-AC31-7C52F949BB02.jpeg.a51f2401ec5c53c8a62b22f73ade8136.jpeg

D3E5B6E4-C6F4-4BC2-92CB-A3FDA322765B.jpeg.d6f250e0a3973822a28ad0cab4f15a1b.jpeg

Some stations are in the future (Superquick kits) after the bridge works, mods to the Peak D141 (missing couplings) and the completion of the inner circuit. But most of all, after some work on Nampara! (Gareth says he has finished the BG buffalo so I’d better get something to run it on….)

The branch looks very exciting!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I think No.1 Son has good taste.  Is it the ancient model, or the newer Heljan?

It is a Triang Hornby one. It was bought secondhand for me in the very early 1980s (I think) from J & M models in Maldon. I immediately dropped it on my grandmothers floor and the non driving end coupling was snapped off! It alway progressed around a layout with huge amount of sparking from the motor bogie!

I have a Heljan one which is EM and did service on EMPire Mills before it was retired by the MRC . No 1 son has found the stock box of EM WR diesel hydraulics and regularly asks to ‘look’ at them…

D

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Duncan

So reminds me of the Blue Peter Layout that Christopher Trace used to wheel out. You just need the Triang Suspension Bridge R264 to complete it. Have fun tomorrow.

Edited by kipford
  • Thanks 1

The Hymek was stripped down this afternoon and when power was applied to the motor terminals it sprang into life. The problem seems to be a pick up one - a least one has been worn away and the others were covered in grot. So there is hope….

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, kipford said:

Duncan

So reminds me of the Blue Peter Layout that Christopher Trace used to wheel out. You just need the Triang Suspension Bridge R264 to complete it. Have fun tomorrow.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks. I’ve never been fond of the suspension bridge. The one I always wanted but never had was the lifting bridge.

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1