Ian's 7mm workbench - recent photos

Hal Nail

Ha ha, it is really not possible to do a fine coat with a rattle can.  No control and uneven spraying.  I frequently get more paint on me than the model.  An airbrush is really what's needed.  I rarely use the airbrush to apply the main colour, preferring to brush paint with acrylic.

BTW that wagon really looks good.

John

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bit of a while since I posted: have been doing bits and pieces but little of particular interest. Some progress on the 33 headcodes this week. The other end will be C2 or 2C. The main jobs left are to replace all the broken pipes and number it - two things I keep putting off then its pretty much done. I haven't decided whether to keep it yet - it's totally out of place for my WR Cornish branch and I'm trying to make modelling pay for itself but then again growing up in Southampton I have always liked these and rule 1 can stretch to them being sent down to the withered arm.

DSC_0891_(2).JPG.45dbf912d153857851c215a13e2cd778.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just occured to me that whilst I was quite pleased with my ketchup find when raiding the kitchen looking for some very thin red material, it was also meant to be translucent! Will keep an eye out next time I'm at the supermarket.

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty comfortable pretending they were sent down to Bodmin/Wadebridge area. I'm loose on some things, not on others. I like each model to be individually accurate and when I finally do a layout it will be c1959 but I have no issue at all having a few locos in early 50s and a couple of diesels in  blue. I decided my stock would all be 1959 tho as I couldnt justify duplicate rakes just to have a white box round the wagon numbers when behind the diesels.

I might make an exception and have a rake of china clay wagons with early flat covers and one with hoods but ideally I'm hoping I can have them share one underframe. More on this shortly!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

Really nice job that. What is the C2 code for? When i worked on them i'd just leave white blanks or KA/KB etc.. 

Cheers

I've forgotten now but there is a list online somewhere I found and for South West division it covered the Bournemouth area, along with 2C, depending on the class of train. D6509 was one of the ones transferred to Eastleigh and appears in a few of the photos I had.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, daifly said:

'C' = Plymouth Division. '2" = local/branch service

Dave

Our replies crossed.

I read that codes could be several things depending on which division and period (and then bars above the digits come into play as well).

Definitely photos of C2 at Bournemouth but Plymouth local is more appropriate for my Bodmin theme! 

Lovely work.

The next time we take the grandchildren out for lunch I must remember to retain the empty Tomato Ketchup packets. I don't use the stuff myself. This would go in to my pockets along with the small, empty jam jars that I collect from cafes. I do get some funny looks when I am doing it.:)

Ian.

• Funny 1

The blinds were made from cotton with a plastic type print on them and were prone to fading/bleaching in the sun and fraying on the edges when they became slighty skewed on the rollers. 

We knew the 33/0 and 33/2 as a KA, a 33/1 as a KB. The 73/0 was a JA and 73/1 a JB. These were to do with Southern multiple working compatibilities. 

Cheers for the info. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodyfox said:

The blinds were made from cotton with a plastic type print on them and were prone to fading/bleaching in the sun and fraying on the edges when they became slighty skewed on the rollers. 

We knew the 33/0 and 33/2 as a KA, a 33/1 as a KB. The 73/0 was a JA and 73/1 a JB. These were to do with Southern multiple working compatibilities. 

Cheers for the info. 

Where did you work them? I grew up in Southampton in the 70s/80s so we got 33s on Portsmouth to Bristol for a time plus some of the Bournemouth inter-regional trains, as far as the loco change at Reading.

Your thread reminds me we must also have got these on oil trains from Fawley although I dont honestly remember seeing them.

Edited by Hal Nail

I worked on them from the mid 80's to late 90's (rare beasts by then) on the South West division mostly engineers trains and London - Salisbury stuff plus van trains (news and post). They were almost the perfect DL. Duel control, Eth fitted, loads of power with low weight and reliability. The 37's probably got the life extension for type 3's due to their greater number and crew knowledge being widespread. I dtove 37's too so i'm able to compare. 

I only worked Fawley oil trains with 47's (to Holybourne terminal) although i'm sure 33's would have at some point. 

• Like 2

Hi Guys, Hope you don't mind but a few pics for you. Class 33s did work down to Fawley a bit and the Holybourne service was booked for a class 47 but 33s did turn up. later on the class 37s were common too.

Cheers Peter.

PJM-Neg-174 (1280x758).jpg

PJM-SL-7B44.jpg

PJM-SL-8B25.jpg

PJM-SL-10A4 (1280x868).jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gave the 33 a quick test today as I was about to put it up for sale. Sounds like it is derailed - I assume a split gear. Was perfect a month ago.

I can see why people get so annoyed about Heljan now - resisting the temptation to take it apart when I'm still angry.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Nasty. It looks like you have two gone on the top bogie.

With the two gears on one shaft, both same diameter and tooth pitch, I wonder why they don't use a single wide gear to engage with the worm. It would be more robust.

Shame 'cos you had done a lovely job on it.

Ian.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having another crack at the salt method on a bauxite mineral that I was going to have to respray grey anyway. Its amazing how much salt you actually need to use to stop the paint getting through. More encouraged by this than last time.

1497604384_16T2s.jpg.4a7cc67b6106b90ab12289e461b5035c.jpg1313120727_16T6s.jpg.5dd321baf37bf2683b83a445a6b0e88c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Hal Nail changed the title to Ian's 7mm workbench - more 16T weathering
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

As the 33 is in original green livery this was how they worked, in pairs, the heaviest train on BR. Esso class As from Fawley to Bromford Bridge. 

Paul

This has indirectly led me to discover Bromford Bridge racecourse which I'd not come across before. Not the most attractive backdrop as racecourses go: reminds me of Redcar.

Despite growing up in Southampton, I don't think I've ever actually been to Fawley. For some reason, the New Forest always got the nod over the oil refinery for days out.  

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of days ago I made a mental note to make sure I put the couplings back on before i finished weathering....

The base paint I use is textured but in scrubbing off the salt and roughing up a bit with some sandpaper, I've done a fairly effective job of smoothing it all off. Maybe I should have used the talc I bought specially for this! 

Getting better I think but haven't reached standards on here:

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_minerals.html

80676109_DSC_0018(2).JPG.2cfe5d829007ac1619b1deb801871ff5.JPG1563004528_DSC_0019(2).JPG.462f6b7009c3dc0218c815e168d89a7a.JPG

• Like 4