Ian's 7mm workbench - recent photos

Hal Nail

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Your conversion of 7400 is undoubtedly correct as although the picture of her in the relevant Pannier Papers shows no top feed in 1939, all the photos of post war engines show top feeds fitted.

I did ask the question about 74XX topfeed in my thread:

I got some very helpful replies.

John

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

58xx did receive them as evidenced by this picture of 5815. :

image.png.30d8ff2d61288d28ad41be1a3e67cbda.png

Thanks for the photo which just goes to show that every day's a school day!  I wonder how many other 58xx received a topfeed boiler as few photos seem to show them? 

Ray.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Just to confirm what has already now been said, here is 5804 in late GWR guise and then in BR days on the Malmesbury line.

Cheers, Ade.

5804 (3).jpg

5804 (2).jpg

Couple of cracking photos. I might give 1419 a decent coal load as all my others have it depleted 

Also note there is no logo on the bottom one. I have seen one photo of 1419 like that as well.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Marshall5 said:

Topfeeds were progressively fitted from 1944 and eventually most, but certainly not all, of the 48/14xx were so fitted.  I don't think any of the 58xx (non auto fitted) ever had topfeeds. 

That's a brave (and incorrect) assertion to make around here! See the photo in Ade's post above and here's another to emphasise the point!

5800 at Swindon Feb54.JPG

Edited by daifly
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I presume also something to do with the regulator control when driven from the coach since that's the only mechanical link I believe.

Hi Hal, that makes sense when you say that. Without trying to mentally reconstruct the linkage too much, its probably there to translate the rotation on that auto fitting to the same orientation as that in the cab and on the bunker end.

Thanks,

Zach

• RMweb Premium

Finished off a van that's been in the works for a while. Interesting to compare finish with the previous one. Both done the same way, just variations in how the washes have built up.

I'm still mulling over that chimney. If there was such a thing, a 5 though plastikard wrapper glued and blended in would be worth a go but as it is I think putting up with it is the safest bet. 

auto6.jpg.eeafe61ef097873a35ad48b855822a57.jpg1470666603_vans1.jpg.bfcece1659d0f3a3b5553345a8ea9152.jpgauto5.jpg.416e410ff9d68f59c833142c2432c416.jpg

• Like 8

The chimney doesn't all that bad TBH.  My Terrier is quite awful and the chimney looks to be larger dia than the base.

What about getting some medium CA into the gap?  When dry you can sand it.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Maud in the sunshine. I did have a go at the boiler seam in the end. Remarkably little to do though and incredible for the price. I'm tempted by a 58xx with top feed (so ironically I'd have to get the 14xx!) to do in clean condition like the photo Adrian posted - especially as has just occurred to me I wouldn't have to add the wiring for that one.

272044869_DSC_0014(2).JPG.dcd27f820bf2f4f6a4e24d555a25dd88.JPG

1421678857_IHauto1.jpg.c41395a6cf2822f1a98c6230891fb8ef.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 9

What a brilliant looking loco.  These and other Dapol locos have proved to be amazing value for money.  I expect it has firebox glow since my others do.  My friends Minerva 57XX is another great model but, just to niggle, doesn't have firebox glow.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, brossard said:

What a brilliant looking loco.  These and other Dapol locos have proved to be amazing value for money.  I expect it has firebox glow since my others do.  My friends Minerva 57XX is another great model but, just to niggle, doesn't have firebox glow.

John

Yes it does have glow.

I like Minerva and particularly what they have done to push low cost but well made products - they are clearly a super company and deservedly well liked but for me the Dapol Pannier has a little more finesse (cant quite put a finger on why) and this is a notch up again on that.

The only real niggle is the boiler seam which cant be fixed without a partial repaint but you really wouldn't expect perfection for the price.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick side project to fit couplings and vac pipes to the 3 plank I bought from Chaz off Dock Green - it had one of the automated types on his layout.

I'm using Heljan 3 links but the springs are a bit short so will pad out the rear of the buffer beams. I presume if in doubt, too stiff is better than too sloppy?

I love this little self-contained chassis Chaz built. Feels slightly incongruous me playing with it but I might add a couple of cross members and suspend safety loops.

20200423_102154.jpg.6c9e2958a5df58b09096409b22729f40.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Fitted vac pipes to the 3 plank today which needed a massive amount of filing down to anything like scale proportions. Annoyingly in the process of having another go after soldering them on, two buffer nuts detached and a finger top search has failed to find them. If I ever did turn to a life of crime, a raid of the Slaters stockroom would be a productive heist.  

20200424_203441.jpg.1e65d6cfcefdcd00ecae7031dbb71376.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 4

I think buffer nuts are 14BA, Eileen's have them.

Is that a LMS 3 plank?  Are these the cast pipes you pictured in the other thread?  I'm guessing they are different from the Slaters BR ones.  As I said before, you could replace the cast "bag" with a Slaters spring.  I think it would improve things.

I have two Slaters LMS kits to do but both have vertical pipes.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, brossard said:

I think buffer nuts are 14BA, Eileen's have them.

Is that a LMS 3 plank?  Are these the cast pipes you pictured in the other thread?  I'm guessing they are different from the Slaters BR ones.  As I said before, you could replace the cast "bag" with a Slaters spring.  I think it would improve things.

I have two Slaters LMS kits to do but both have vertical pipes.

John

Hi,

yes, D1927 scratch built by Chaz who ran Dock Green. I bought it as a momento when that layout was retired.

Thanks for the tip - I was hoping someone might know the nuts.

They are CRT vac pipes which are the only ones ive come across online close to the LMS low shape - albeit exhibitions usually turn up loads of stuff that isn't obvious online.  I've probably halved their size already though.To be fair they look a lot better in real life than the photo but I might well scratch built some later - i'm out of vac springs at the moment! Anyway I was quite chuffed i managed to solder them on with all fingers unscathed so not in any rush!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Little job I've been meaning to do for a while - adding some depth to my autocoach as the thin brass sides always look a bit strange from the outside. I did try cutting out a window in one piece but its much easier to make strips. These are 20 thou - 10 just didnt show. The harsh light makes them look more prominent - it's hard to even see them from most angles but does just enough to give a perception of the coach's thickness behind the glass. I think it improves the look so will do the other side at some point.

20200516_210709.jpg.d38516727da311cff54753e60a56a03a.jpg

20200516_213728.jpg.caf1b997cafac2fe680f1facdbeace47.jpg

20200516_213631.jpg.8239a68795b538d8dd3e3177c65c26f8.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, brossard said:

I did some interior detailing on the coach I have:

I didn't think about thickness though. 

John

Yes I remember that, lovely work.

Mine is the Tower brass one and whilst you do get flush glazing, brass coaches always look a bit one dimensional to me. The real thing had some depth behind the glass as shown and I dont add lighting so you wont see my patchwork effect through the coach

I have some CRT seats but they aren't anything like the right shape so mulling over reworking them or finally trying out resin casting myself. 

DSC_0156.JPG.18bc4d852dd8ae2f3c4456ad5933e16e.JPG

• Like 1