Ian's 7mm workbench - recent photos

Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Bigbee Line said:

John

I had some Maskol. Like yours probably 30+ years old. Would Copydex be a worthy substitute?

That's the eggy smelling rubbery glue? worth a try. I'd have thought pva would do a similar job too potentially.

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

That's the eggy smelling rubbery glue? worth a try. I'd have thought pva would do a similar job too potentially.

The Copydex stays rubbery for a week or two, then turns all sticky. So can easily rub off for this type of weathering. PVA has a bit more ‘sticktion’. I’ll give Copydex a try when home. 

• RMweb Premium

Progress. Happier with these after some light sanding and general toning down with track dirt. I've forgotten to fit vacuum pipes to the retro-fit and will add remnants of the white stripes and black patches and raid the leftover transfers box for the unfitted.

A regular comment is no two of these were alike and I suspect that is also true of models as I doubt I'd be able to replicate the technique the same way twice. Next time I will try to keep any texture away from the areas that will end up in the original base colour. I quite like the resulting effect as a one off but wasn't what I was after originally.

2116354886_DSC_1017b(2).jpg.e1375c2a40e5549428af6a0745019a0b.jpg777630566_DSC_1018a(2).jpg.ca962048fe3b64dd28aa05eecac22233.jpg1405498785_DSC_1019a(2).jpg.6d103997627d4a059bb3b02515a366e3.jpg775032270_DSC_1025a(2).jpg.69352c0404e895e801f775732057bfab.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 9

Very nice.  They do look rusty.  When I did mine, I applied the transfers before removing the salt.  This damaged some of the transfers, particularly the stripe, which is what you want.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Gold

Am I missing a trick here? Surely if you scatter lumps of salt onto a wagon side and then paint over it, when the paint is dry, you pick a bit of paint off where the salt was and then just stick the body into hot water and let the salt dissolve.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Am I missing a trick here? Surely if you scatter lumps of salt onto a wagon side and then paint over it, when the paint is dry, you pick a bit of paint off where the salt was and then just stick the body into hot water and let the salt dissolve.

Or just lick them off?

A toothbrush* worked fine for me. I did it after a couple of hours so still slightly soft and flicked a couple of stubborn ones off with an blunt screwdriver. Suspect a lot easier than plucking off maskol!

*an old one.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have finished off the two 16T. Despite my earlier reservations I quite like the bauxite one which is out of my period but I have a couple of blue diesels so will keep it. I've got two more to do and will probably sell a couple eventually.

The Slaters van was bought in a batch partially built, that were nicely done with home made compensation units and brake push rods replaced with thin strip. I've finished this one off adding safety loops from brass square rod and the brake "ratchets" from Parkside spares, considerably reduced in thickness. The roof isn't attached but apart from that it is all done, with another just behind it. DSC_1062a.jpg.769736884dc9cc667069f5b3c69e3809.jpg DSC_1068a.jpg.b7609668181cd7b541aef57ac35a54c4.jpgDSC_1072a.jpg.bb8811e51df7062278b91c0b36371cde.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been working on a Skytrex bogie bolster. The basic body isn't bad and I like the bogies. I ripped off the original buffer beams and made plasticard replacements, fitting Oleo buffers and spare Parkside hooks and vac pipes. It should be instanter and I'll get hold of some etched spares in due course. The paint job was pretty average so I've redone that all by hand in this case as nothing large enough to need spraying. Originally I did it up to sell on but am having second thoughts at the moment! 

DSC_0100a.jpg.88b378f28b827f7960c53fef8a2f1cb8.jpgDSC_0088.JPG.b765bd92a78986204441668209b6c500.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I've also revisited some Lionheart minerals both of which have now moved on to new homes. I had accumulated 8 for a train but I'm not sure how common these with wooden sole bars actually were by the late 50s and have more than enough stock so kept the best one and moved on the rest, most still as bought.

po2.jpg.7c6026bdfedd8a6bbdf92b433e7f9251.jpg

DSC_0109 (2).JPG

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 10

Amazing how quickly your wagons accumulate.  I have become addicted and building those that take my fancy.

As attractive as decorated PO wagons are, some caution is necessary when modelling late 50s and early 60s.  I have 3 and limited myself to that because BR culled these at a good clip as more modern wagons were built.  By 1962 I reckon PO wagons would be getting scarce.

John

• RMweb Premium
Just now, brossard said:

Amazing how quickly your wagons accumulate.  I have become addicted and building those that take my fancy.

As attractive as decorated PO wagons are, some caution is necessary when modelling late 50s and early 60s.  I have 3 and limited myself to that because BR culled these at a good clip as more modern wagons were built.  By 1962 I reckon PO wagons would be getting scarce.

John

I have got a photo of a rake of 9 very weathered POs at Thorverton in 1963 but very much an exception (they always seem to be in photos there, so perhaps a rake specific to that branch) and besides they may well be more up to date examples than the Lionheart versions. 

Agreed - you need a lot more discipline than me! I kept buying these when Dapol were offering them as specials. Still have had a bit of fun weathering a few and managed to shift them all now. I find the periodic £1 ebay selling offers give me an incentive to finish a few things so all in all have settled into a nice way to enjoy a hobby without a massive net outlay. 

It's always dangerous to make definitive statements in this business.  When you do, some clever clogs will come and prove you wrong.

I did buy one Dapol 1st Gen PO wagon but I was very unhappy with it, mostly because the brakes were miles away from the wheels.  I used Bill Bedford etches to upgrade it.  Extra cost and a lot of effort.  :angry:

Later Dapol PO wagons were based on Lionheart which are excellent.  Now you need to watch out because I think Dapol are still releasing the 1st Gen wagons.

John

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, brossard said:

It's always dangerous to make definitive statements in this business.  When you do, some clever clogs will come and prove you wrong.

I did buy one Dapol 1st Gen PO wagon but I was very unhappy with it, mostly because the brakes were miles away from the wheels.  I used Bill Bedford etches to upgrade it.  Extra cost and a lot of effort.  :angry:

Later Dapol PO wagons were based on Lionheart which are excellent.  Now you need to watch out because I think Dapol are still releasing the 1st Gen wagons.

John

Ha! I was actually agreeing with with you - I think that example was a notable exception...

The ones I got were all the Lionheart types - Dapol offered them as specials from time to time after the merger. They actually did a few subtle variants - 7 or 8 plank, either wood or steel end strapping and with spoke or 3 hole wheels. Presume they still have the tools but maybe want to get as much value as they can out of that Dapol version before re releasing.

I think Dapol entered the 7mm market without realizing that 7mm modellers won't put up with some the 00 tat that is offered.

I bought two of the milk tanks thinking they would be easier to fix up than building a kit.  (These have come in for a lot of criticism for being neither chalk nor cheese.)  I don't know if that is so but there was a heck of a lot of work required to make them look like LMS wagons.

John

2 hours ago, brossard said:

I think Dapol entered the 7mm market without realizing that 7mm modellers won't put up with some the 00 tat that is offered.

I bought two of the milk tanks thinking they would be easier to fix up than building a kit.  (These have come in for a lot of criticism for being neither chalk nor cheese.)  I don't know if that is so but there was a heck of a lot of work required to make them look like LMS wagons.

John

These were well underway when Richard Webster joined Dapol. He didn't even know whether the original designer intended to use wagon or coach wheels (Milk tanks from different railway companies vary in this important feature). He was able to make minor changes but had to go ahead with these multi Company vehicles.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Right Paul, that is also my understanding.  Upgrading wagons is a satisfying activity because it forces you to do extensive research.  Still, I would have preferred these to be more accurate.

John

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Latest through the paint shop is this Dapol brake van, bought on ebay for £40 painted rather badly in gloss red and black on top of a half-hearted attempt at stripping which hadn't acheived a lot other than losing some details! It went pretty much straight into an IPA bath which took the home attempt off in minutes and rather longer to remove the Dapol finish - in fact if it hadn't already been half attacked I could have got away without stripping that off at all. Has been brush painted and then weathered with precision frame dirt (basically just a lazy way to get the usual leather/black/earth mix) darkened with Humbrol 32. Transfers were Pressfix - fiddly to line up but no carrier to worry about. Will respray the roof next time i have a few to do. 

I have since found a spare lamp iron for one end and will fit a lamp at the other. I have 2 of the 4 that go higher up the body ends and will probably try and fabricate 2 out of old etch discards. I have the glazing safe.

Taken in bright sun (a few mins after a monumental hail storm!) - indoors its probably a little darker than my usual ones.

860473_DSC_0002(2).JPG.e5163eae9e78c1276549af46fb2dce9d.JPG

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 9

Nice job, always satisfying to bring a model back from the near dead.

Dapol's model is very good I think, I ended up with a grey one after confusion with the stock number at Hattons.  I repainted it bauxite and modified it for through piping. 

John

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brossard said:

Dapol's model is very good I think, I ended up with a grey one after confusion with the stock number at Hattons.  I repainted it bauxite and modified it for through piping. 

Cheers!

To be honest the pipes need replacing really so you didnt miss out there!

Next exhibition I need stock up on some decent pipes, instanter links and hooks as I've got through all of mine.

Yep, RTR models rarely include underframe detail or good brake pipes.  I see it as an opportunity to improve the model.

I'm forever ordering pipes and couplings etc. from Slaters.  Whenever I do, it's an excuse to buy a new kit.:pleasantry:

John

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, WM183 said:

I do love the weathering on those 16 tonners! Wagons are addictive aren't they?

Thanks! It's a bit hit and miss and I haven't actually achieved the "flecked" early rust look that I'd really like to do.

The salt method is effective but I found it quite tricky to arrange the salt convincingly - it either goes everywhere or clumps.

I like the method of adding artist's acrylic and games workshop textured rust and then fairly roughly scrubbing most of it back off best - but that relies on a good hard factory base. Mine were picked up cheap in the wrong colour but I have a couple more to play with at some point.

• RMweb Premium

Realised its nearly 3 years since I started backdating my 33! Have now started on the fuel tanks, adding (?) the cut outs. Thanks to 47606odin for confirming elsewhere that the battery box clips also need to come off, which I suspected but hard to see in shadowy photos. I'm still toying with improving the representation if the long cylinders above the tanks, half hidden under the body which should be more prominent.

Aside from that I repainted the roof in the right shade of grey but it will be largely painted over anyway as I'm ready to start weathering.

20200317_083940.jpg.d5c6dfbb3dfe813d08d7b7d47500fd01.jpg20200317_084222.jpg.cd1c212a336df43aecdd0cc96d68b546.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 4