N gauge Shark Ballast Plough Van

DJM Dave

• 1 month later...

Has anybody heard anything about this recently? Would i be right in thinking that the model will be issued in batches according to livery like the mermaids are? Hopefully the black livery first but thendoes this mean i have along time to wait for the ones due in dutch???

Has anybody heard anything about this recently? Would i be right in thinking that the model will be issued in batches according to livery like the mermaids are? Hopefully the black livery first but thendoes this mean i have along time to wait for the ones due in dutch???

Hi mate,

The first ep was unveiled at the Crewe heritage centre show, and was on display at the recent tings show.

It’s now in the tool room altering the planking and handrails before I pay more big money for the 2nd ep.

Then it’s deco samples and production.

All this takes time, especially this time of year when the tool room time is at a premium, so if I were to guess i’d say Feb 18 at the earliest. No info on what decos are first though just yet I’m afraid.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

why isn't there an icon for groan......

Hi everyone,

An update today from China on this dormant project is that the Shark is undergoing a re-tool to correct the horizontal handrails.

However, the problem with vertical plank gaps on the body side will not disappear, but can be made slightly smaller.

This is now ongoing, and expected is stockist who have ordered around Late September this year.

Pics and deco models to follow as progress is made.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

Are you doing the smooth sided plywood clad sides from the vans later lives?

Jo

Hi Jo,

It might be something I revisit, but not on this initial batch even though I know at least 1 announced is wrong.

Having said that I’ve got pics of semi smooth side ones, and alternate roof, chimney and rain strip details too.

You wouldn’t believe the minefield the ballast plough is.

Cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

An update today from China on this dormant project is that the Shark is undergoing a re-tool to correct the horizontal handrails.

However, the problem with vertical plank gaps on the body side will not disappear, but can be made slightly smaller.

This is now ongoing, and expected is stockist who have ordered around Late September this year.

Pics and deco models to follow as progress is made.

Cheers

Dave

Great news Dave,

Hopefully with the planking gaps made slightly smaller, by the time liveries are applied it will look a whole lot better.

September delivery sounds great, maybe they will even ship with the Claytons?!.

Will you be in a position to get all livery variants to the shops in one hit? If not could I plead the case for a 1960s version first given how well the black Mermaids did v's the Dutch ones?

Looking forward to seeing the revised EP and deco versions..

Regards

Roy

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Have just received the latest cad/cams from China for the N gauge Shark ballast plough.

The gaps between the planks are now narrower although due to moulding constraints never be butted up to each other perfectly.

the handrails on the bodyside are better.

The 2 ends are shown, 1 with coupling hole in it, the other without.

As delivered this model will have couplings and plough gap fitted as standard with 2 x no gap ploughs in the packaging for you to fit to your tastes as needs be.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-97351100-1523264067_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-34494700-1523264104_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Dave, Please excuse me if I've missed something either here or on your website, but is it possible to pre-order the Sharks or to record interest in them or are we just to buy them through stockists when they become available?

Thanks, Chris.

Hi Dave, Please excuse me if I've missed something either here or on your website, but is it possible to pre-order the Sharks or to record interest in them or are we just to buy them through stockists when they become available?

Thanks, Chris.

Hi Chris,

They are available to pre order from any DJM stockist that wants them.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Have just received the latest cad/cams from China for the N gauge Shark ballast plough.

The gaps between the planks are now narrower although due to moulding constraints never be butted up to each other perfectly.

the handrails on the bodyside are better.

The 2 ends are shown, 1 with coupling hole in it, the other without.

As delivered this model will have couplings and snowplough gap fitted as standard with 2 x no gap snowploughs in the packaging for you to fit to your tastes as needs be.

cheers

Dave

Without wishing to be picky (especially since I may be wrong), but these are ballast ploughs, rather than snow ploughs aren't they?......

Without wishing to be picky (especially since I may be wrong), but these are ballast ploughs, rather than snow ploughs aren't they?......

Quite right sir. Altered to drop the snow. :-)

Hi Jo,

It might be something I revisit, but not on this initial batch even though I know at least 1 announced is wrong.

Having said that I’ve got pics of semi smooth side ones, and alternate roof, chimney and rain strip details too.

You wouldn’t believe the minefield the ballast plough is.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Infrastructure stock is a minefield full stop. Even standard modern wagons have variations!

Jo

The Plough looks great Dave - well done on your work so far.  Just had a look on Hattons to pre-order and there are so many choices!

What livery would be appropriate for BR transition era - Black?

Many thanks

Paddy

The Plough looks great Dave - well done on your work so far.  Just had a look on Hattons to pre-order and there are so many choices!

What livery would be appropriate for BR transition era - Black?

Many thanks

Paddy

or more attractively the ones miscorrectly identified as being in Indian Red - the official name is Gulf Red. A real transition livery if you are looking for early 1960s

Bartlett, Paul W. (1992) Gulf red - a nearly forgotten BR livery. Modellers' Backtrack vol. 2 (part 4) pp 184 - 188.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Please find here the finished ? cad/cam for the revised shark ballast plough.

Of note the roof chimney as this was needed and felt easier to remove than add at a later date, and also i've modelled it at its highest height that i can find so that modellers who want to model one to the correct height for their period, region etc can just snip a bit off if required.

Also i have taken the opportunity to alter the handrails from moulded on ones to separately attached as i think they will look much better.

The internal windows including the ducket ones are all glazed by the way.

The revised tooling will start within 24 hours unless someone thinks i've left something off.....like a 3rd axle etc. lol

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-73675500-1525246036_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-81100900-1525246046_thumb.jpg

• Like 14