N gauge Shark Ballast Plough Van

DJM Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

this week is the cut off date for stockists to order from me, so you need to get your order in almost immediately if you havent done so, so far.

As for pre-orders from stockists, i have to say they are dissapointingly low, and at least 50% down on the minumum order run.

It seems theres not much interest in this wagon, which is puzzling given their length of duty and era spread.

Anyway, onwards and upwards

Cheers

Dave

It seems theres not much interest in this wagon, which is puzzling given their length of duty and era spread.

It might be because there is a pretty decent NGS kit of one that is relatively easy to make and quite cheap - and many prospective customers may well have already made one or two and satisfied their requirements. Plus, of course, brake vans don't exactly run in rakes so there is less potential for multiple purchases.

Ñonetheless I'm looking forward to the TOPs version of the HUO hopper wagon which, as a RTR wagon, makes it more attractive for multiple purchases rather than trying to scratch or kit build a lengthy rake.

G

Agreed the NGS Shark is a decent kit and reasonably easy to make so there may be a number NGS members who do not have this release on their "must have list".

I don't doubt that there will still be other NGS members like me who will nonetheless be buying them when released because they will be made to modern standards, be more accurate and have NEM pockets to allow for easi shunt couplings (rather the piece of wire on the NGS version!). Agreed most who purchase them will probably only buy in ones and twos, and that will be the same whether an NGS members or others who haven't had access to the kits.

Another factor may be that (arguably) the most suitable RTR wagon to match with the Shark is probably the Dapol Dogfish with its bottom discharge chutes, which hasn't been in production for a long while.

Roy

Hi Roy,

valid point, although dogfish, seacows etc can use the plough.

However, what is a tad concerning is we arent talking huge numbers here..... 1500 models in total.

Some will have the NGS kit, and out of mine...some will only need 1, some will need 2, some will want liveries from the second run, but 1500!

so far orders for only 730 have been received with closing date for orders and into production of later this week.

It's a little disconcerting to be honest.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just added another two to the pair I’ve already pre-ordered (so I'll have all the Dutch variants). I really want to see these become reality and this wagon is the sort of thing you can realistically have parked at the end of a siding.

Edited by Western Aviator

Yes, I have now preordered mine from Hattons, two Scottish ones, Edinburgh in black and Perth in Indian Red. 

Dave, it may just be that customers have not got round to placing their orders with retailers yet not realising that the model is actually closer to production that they realise.

Roy

None of my local shops stock DJModels - they would order them, but at full price. I might as well wait and be sure they are OK, given that the first batch are in liveries which are Rule 1 purchases.

Dave

I plan to pre-order a couple, Black 100001B & Indian Red 100002A. Can you confirm whether these will be in the first production run?

David

Hi David,

yes both black with straw lettering and Indian Red are in the first batch of liveries.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Ive got the NGS van and like has been said its a decent kit for a good price but I've still ordered a replacement.

Hope the orders pick up for you

FWIW I think there so many model projects at different stages that sonetimes its easy to loose track of models coming through from guys like yourself and revolution. My order for the shark I've just checked was december 2015

Hi Dave,

Can you tell me which liveries are planned for the first and second batch runs?

I've looked back through this thread and can't see it stated...

Also, I presume this week's deadline for stockists is only for the first batch?

Personally, I'd like the later liveries, especially dutch with an option for EWS and Loadhaul but happy to wait if they are the second batch.

Cheers,

Ixion.

I will be ordering one in Dutch as it fits my era. I will also order the black 'Croft Junction' example, purely for local interest since I am from Darlington.

What is the latest period the latter is likely to have existed in that guise?

• 4 weeks later...