N gauge Shark Ballast Plough Van

DJM Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Dave

Will you be bringing these samples to Spennymoor? I am there with my layout and will be admiring these. In face I have asked to be next to you so I can keep admiring the sharks and the King sample and not abandon the layout.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The pre-production Shark was on display on DJMs stand at Warley - and looking rather nice. However, Dave said that it hasn't yet gone to production and won't until he receives sufficient orders to make it economically viable.

G. 

I get confused. Does a pre-order placed with a retailer count towards the 'sufficient orders' total?

If not, I am willing to relocate my order to Dave direct.

I've no idea, but presumably Dave is totting up orders he received from retailers/stockists for the Shark as it's not a crowdfunded project*, although the DJM business model now does seem to be that each project needs to be 'funded in advance' to effectively cover costs through EIOs, deposits and pre-orders before production commences. To some extent that is understandable but it's becoming quite confusing as each project appears to be different and getting information about how many 'orders' are required and how many there are to date is difficult, especially as Dave no longer regularly posts on RMweb and the project tracker chart on his website doesn't seem to be there anymore. 

* so is distributed and on sale through retailers rather than direct from DJM as, presumably, would be the case with crowdfunded.

G,

Edited by grahame

• RMweb Gold

I get confused. Does a pre-order placed with a retailer count towards the 'sufficient orders' total?

If not, I am willing to relocate my order to Dave direct.

I'm pretty sure it does, as I've read somewhere Dave quoting that the take-up from retailers in particular has been poor.

I can't find that at the moment though......

• RMweb Premium

Well I've ordered 4 from Hatton's. Come on folks--bin those old kit-built jobs and get a quality model to go with the Dogfish, Grampus, Sealion , Sturgeon and Mermaid.

Edited by Crepello

• RMweb Premium

Well I've ordered 4 from Hatton's. Come on folks--bin those old kit-built jobs and get a quality model to go with the Dogfish, Grampus, Sealion and Sturgeon.

Hi

I'm quite happy with my kit built ones so I'll pass thanks.

Cheers

Paul

That is a shame as I was looking forward to getting my Shark from Hattons.

Paddy

Me too; I have a couple on order from Hattons. It will be disappointing if they don't become available. With the availability of DJM Mermaids, Dapol Grampus etc and the announcement of the Revolution Sturgeon there must be a latent demand for RTR Sharks. Not everyone will be prepared to pre-order. While I understand DJM's point of view I think that they will sell steadily when people see the end product.

David

Two on order from Hattons here as well. It looks a fine model, I share sentiment that it will possibly be a slower burn than the Mermaid, but also that with the number of PW wagons available in N, it does appear to be a bit of a growth area. Of course there is also the Dapol Dogfish, absolutely perfect companion for the Shark, and in similar vein, I wonder if we might see further runs of those at any point. 

At the end of the day, I guess it's Dave's business so rightly his decision when (and I hope it is when not if) they go into production.

Roy