Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

railways in fiction and fantasy

• RMweb Gold

The secret world of railways and canals in tunnels under London is real, mate, they just don't want you to know about it.  It's where they keep the 9Fs for the stategic reserve.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

"The Burden of Proof" by James Barlow has a description of a train journey from London to St Mary's Cray. He was obviously very familiar with BR circa 1968, the book was turned into a film staring Richard Burton. Titled "Villain" the train journey features, but the location was the North London line. The book has long been out of print but the film is on dvd.

The opening titles to "Get Carter" feature in the book(Jack's Return Home")with very atmospheric description of an arrival at a rain swept Doncaster only spoilt by the author using Euston as the departure station!

• Like 1

"The Burden of Proof" by James Barlow has a description of a train journey from London to St Mary's Cray. He was obviously very familiar with BR circa 1968, the book was turned into a film staring Richard Burton. Titled "Villain" the train journey features, but the location was the North London line. The book has long been out of print but the film is on dvd.

The opening titles to "Get Carter" feature in the book(Jack's Return Home")with very atmospheric description of an arrival at a rain swept Doncaster only spoilt by the author using Euston as the departure station!

Anyone remember the title the of the book which featured Nine Elms shed and funeral trains?

Edited by w124bob

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere , which features the Underground and it's stations fairly prominently and originated as a television series .

"They stopped in front of the door. There was a brass plate on it, which said:

THE ROYAL SOCIETY

FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY 

TO HOUSES

and below that, in smaller letters:                                                      DOWN STREET. PLEASE KNOCK

"You get to the street through the house?" asked Richard.

​"No," said Lamia. "The street is in the house."

(Down Street, in reality was an early Piccadilly Line station closed in 1933 and subsequently used as the wartime home of the Railway Executive)

There is also the subway in The Matrix - the subway car was apparently a 12" to the foot kit-bash of a NSWGR single deck interurban

• Like 1

Probably The Necropolis Railway by Andrew Martin, the first of a series featuring the 'other' railway detective, Jim Stringer.

Thats the one, I searched funeral trains and hadn't realised it was based on a real railway.

Rockstar's console games feature railways quite prominently, including the Forth Bridge and a Scottish PO coal wagon in "Los Angeles" in GTA San Andreas & GTA5 respectively, as a nod to the writers Scottish heritage.

I'm led to believe though trains won't be part of Red Dead Redemption 2, which was a fun part of the first game.

Lately I've played 'Everybody's Gone to the Rapture' earning a Trainspotting trophy for the curious MkII/III hybrid coaches and another for spending time playing with a virtual OO gauge figure of eight trainset!

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Has anyone mentioned Stephen King's Dark Tower series? Railway locations play a significant role at a number of points in the narrative, and the ancient and mad AI of Blaine the Mono creates the cliffhanger at the end of book 3.

Edit: I did, of course, but as I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday I don't feel too bad about the repitition, given that, in the interim, I've reread and completed the series, finding further references as I went on.

Edited by PatB

• RMweb Gold

Rockstar's console games feature railways quite prominently, including the Forth Bridge and a Scottish PO coal wagon in "Los Angeles" in GTA San Andreas & GTA5 respectively, as a nod to the writers Scottish heritage.

I'm led to believe though trains won't be part of Red Dead Redemption 2, which was a fun part of the first game.

There are trains in the trailer for RDR2 so I hope they feature!

• RMweb Premium

Battlefield 1 features trains quite heavily. There are armoured train behemoths on several maps which appear when one side is behind by a certain amount. There also destroyed trains and train yards to fight in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lately I've played 'Everybody's Gone to the Rapture' earning a Trainspotting trophy for the curious MkII/III hybrid coaches and another for spending time playing with a virtual OO gauge figure of eight trainset!

C6T.

I THINK I uploaded part to Youtube.

Coaches could be based on modded Hornby shorty mark 3s or modded Lima 2Bs Yes I did examine them.

There are trains in the trailer for RDR2 so I hope they feature!

Thanks for the heads-up, October 26 then? Unofficial.

You know, I detest the phrase "I can't wait" and Bachmann's products to market times have never bothered me in the slightest, but I do find myself watching the calendar marked release dates for games more and more. Last of Us 2 being the most eagerly anticipated...no date yet!

C6T.

I seem to remember an anime movie called Steamboy (set in 1865 IIRC) which featured the midland railway quite prominently, it even got the green livery then used correct, just a pity it was applied to a Johnson 4-4-0 rather than a period appropriate Kirtley...

Robert Stephenson even features as a main character

havent heard of that one ill have to watch it later

Kiniro Mosiac, a japanese girl comes over to britain to live with an exchange student friend for a while and then they go live with the girl in japan for a while

a panning shot inside a large station that looks like paddington, 3 HST's and a DMU

post-9948-0-11167400-1522088497.jpg

she gets off at the relevent station to be picked up by her friend's dad in a morris minor

post-9948-0-97119800-1522088500.jpg

post-9948-0-45507500-1522088506.jpg

a railway themed anime called Railwars, its about 3 youths that are training in the Japanese transport police and the main character is also an enthusiast i picked out this scene because it shows that either the Authers/artists could also be enthusiasts to know about it or theyve been very observant in their research, a token exchange, it isnt important to the story at that point its just visual filler while the characters are talking

post-9948-0-89859100-1522088827.jpg

a short anime called One Off about some schoolgirl who like riding motorbikes and scooter, while they are having a late afternoon pick nick in a field, there is randomly a narrow gauge diesel and carriage in the background for no apperent or given reason

post-9948-0-42809600-1522088846.png

post-9948-0-33384200-1522088856.png

a recent one i havent got a screenshot for, is "Mahoutsukai No Yome", (read as roughly Ma-ho-sky no Yo-mey) is something like "Magician's bride" or "Bride of the Magician"

the main character walks into a station said to be in london and behind here are ticket machines with the first great western logo on them

• Like 7