The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Crumble and custard

Clive Mortimore

Ice cream or cream on Day 1, when the crumble is fresh from the oven. Custard subsequently with cold crumble; if the crumble is reheated, then see day one. Note that crumble should be reheated in the oven. Microwaves produce something most cutlery can't deal with, and which sometimes would benefit from a demolition charge.

Goosebury crumble tonight, after roast pork (with crackling, of course), roast parsnips and potatoes, carrot and parsnip mash and brocolli.

• RMweb Premium

I prefer my fruit crumble and custard without the crumble and custard but with pie crust and cream.

Hi BoD

Fruit pie with custard is preferred, cream is Ok sometimes, even ice cream. My problem with restaurants is the way they serve crumble and custard, it should be in a bowl with enough room to pour in the custard, cream or space for the ice cream not a teeny weeny bowl that you have to eat half the crumble before you can add your accompaniment. What is wrong with a ready to eat crumble and custard, both in the same bowl?

• RMweb Premium

I have just realised that this year I might not have my annual dewberry crumble.  :no2:  Where we live there is a large number of dewberry brambles and normally I can harvest enough for a crumble. We move on Tuesday and I have only seen a few dewberries so far, in a couple of weeks they should be in full fruit. Blackberries are well advanced around here already.  :yes: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Smith has the rhubarb growing in the garden as we speak, later on, there will be apples on the tree. So, that means a freezer full of Rhubarb crumble, and apple crumble as well. We get through one a week during the winter, normally up to May Day (Mayday! Mayday! We've run out of crumble & custard!).

Weather too hot? That's for the trifle, old boy!

Have to go now, tummy rumbling already. What's this tapioca stuff?

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Howard you are very lucky, I suppose I live to close to London where they think it is cool to try to be trendy.

If you insist on eating in that sort of establishment, you should be grateful you're given any sort of bowl and not a small piece of floorboard, or the hubcap of a Ford Anglia.

• RMweb Gold

Hi BoD

Fruit pie with custard is preferred, cream is Ok sometimes, even ice cream. My problem with restaurants is the way they serve crumble and custard, it should be in a bowl with enough room to pour in the custard, cream or space for the ice cream not a teeny weeny bowl that you have to eat half the crumble before you can add your accompaniment. What is wrong with a ready to eat crumble and custard, both in the same bowl?

It could be a lot worse. You could be presented with a small square of it on a plate, the custard drizzled in a pretty pattern alongside it, garnished with half a strawberry complete with leaves and the whole lot sprinkled with icing sugar.

• RMweb Gold

I have just realised that this year I might not have my annual dewberry crumble.  :no2:  Where we live there is a large number of dewberry brambles and normally I can harvest enough for a crumble. We move on Tuesday and I have only seen a few dewberries so far, in a couple of weeks they should be in full fruit. Blackberries are well advanced around here already.  :yes:

Now you're talking. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a telephone conversation with my mum, and she agrees Mrs Horner would be horrified if she was served a crumble and custard like I was last night. Mum said Mrs Horner taught her that the crumble or pie, or sponge etc. should be placed centrally in dish, with the custard, or cream poured around the edge of pudding not on top. The person eating the sweet can see what they are eating and the custard or cream does not make it soft on top.

As for ice cream, Mum says that is a habit those strange people form places like Sandy have. 

• Like 1

It could be a lot worse. You could be presented with a small square of it on a plate, the custard drizzled in a pretty pattern alongside it, garnished with half a strawberry complete with leaves and the whole lot sprinkled with icing sugar.

Another candidate for the wall!

• RMweb Gold

I'm not too bothered what I have with my crumble, so  long as there is some sort of cream, ice cream or custard. I have never much liked clotted cream but we have a local creamery, Blackmore Vale, whose clotted cream is superb.

What I do care about with crumble is the proportion of fruit to crumble. Needs to be about 50/50.

• RMweb Gold

If I'm having crumble & custard, I'm quite partial to a spoon. Preferably, the larger the bowl the better. Mother in law once joked (when a particularly large portion of crumble was presented), "can you manage with that?" My reply was; "Thanks Ma! I know my way! I think I can find my way from here...." 

• RMweb Gold

What I do care about with crumble is the proportion of fruit to crumble. Needs to be about 50/50.

That's the important issue,  Mum managed to make crumbles where everyone got 50/50 ..except Dad ..who just seemed to get fruit...if he was lucky..

I'm guessing all the Custard aficionado's are going to say there is a huge difference between tinned and pan made, even though it's all chemical warfare to some of us.

WHY DO RESTAURANTS INSIST ON THE CRUMBLE BEING IN A SMALL DISH AND THE CUSTARD BEING IN A TINY JUG.    Now I can understand the custard in a jug so you can pour on the amount to your own taste BUT YOU CANNOT POUR IT ON WHEN THE SMALL DISH IS FULL OF CRUMBLE.  I object to having to eat nearly half my crumble without any custard on it just to make room in the small dish to put the custard in. ... 

One solution is to prevail upon the waiting staff for a warm soup bowl or similar. If they are not in range or ignoring you, a tactical sweep of the establishment on entry will have informed you of where the crockery is kept. Off you go, capture the suitable flatware undetected, and you are done.

Mine this weekend was my own Rhubard and Banana Crumble with custard, single cream and home made vanilla ice cream. (I am that smartarse who on being asked by the young waitress 'What would you like from the dessert menu today? usually replies "All".)

... Mrs Horner (my primary school cook) would be turning in her grave if she was to know how they serve up crumble and custard. Her puddings were always a delight...

It was the Mrs Astwick and Crabtree at the two Hertfordshire schools I attended, if memory serves; and they were likewise gifted. One of the puds was a confection of puffed wheat embedded in a thick chocolate slodge that I have never yet succeeded in replicating in all its glory.

• RMweb Gold

It was the fashion at one time for everything to be served in enormous bowls, perfect for the roobob crumble and plenty of custard, cream is acceptable in summer but never ice cream. Our local pub serves crumble and other 'afters' in suitable sized bowls.

Goosegog crumble is and never will be acceptable in my mind, I may get lynched the next time I drive through Egton Bridge, home of the 'Egton Bridge Old Gooseberry Show' held in my old school. http://www.egtongooseberryshow.org.uk/ (most of these goosegogs are not edible by anyone's standards though)