DCC Erratic Behaviour

Matloughe

Good Morning,

I've recently fitted an 8 Pin Bachmann 36-553 to my Hornby T9. I bought the decoder in error and thought well why not give it a whirl, so I've clipped it into the tender and set it going on the mainline under #3 to test it and found out it has an interesting tendancy that I hope can be removed with the help of someone on here.
When moving off the loco seems to me to run in full speed for an inch or two, then stop and move off as per my controller input. Its the same when stopping the loco comes smoothly to a halt and then runs off for an inch or two at full-speed its not ideal for smooth running.

Now I use a Digitrax Zephyr controller and the aforementioned Bachmann 36-553 decoder. I have had a quick cursory look over the forums but not couldn't see anything I am hoping that someone can tell me its just a CV alteration that is needed.

Many Thanks!
Gary

This is a very common occurrence with the 36-553 & 36-554 decoders.
CVs 54 & 55 are the ones to play with. CV 54 to correct starting performance and CV 55 stopping. There is a list of suggested values for a selection of locos on the Bachmann website.
http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/decoder_settings.pdf

Edited by smokebox