Atlas CN Dash8-40 Ditch lights

I'm about to buy a Atlas Dash 8-40 in CN livery but the only thing that spoil's a really nice loco is that its not fitted with ditch lights a must I think for a Canadian loco

Anyway is there a after market kit I could fit, while remembering I'm the guy who believed them when they said "DCC is only two wires"

As always any help is very welcome.

Daft question but what scale??  (Atlas do O scale 8-40B's). I tend to use the Atlas Parts Dept for all sorts of bits (don't tell everybody as stock can be in short supply) :secret: . There is usually a model in the range that has what I'm looking for, and the prices and postage are not bad. For example in O scale the GP60 has ditch lights and they were in stock last time I looked.

• Like 1

Presuming HO Dash 8-40C? You could fabricate working ditch lights using surface mount LEDs (you can get them pre-wired if your soldering skills/eyesight/fine motor control are limited).

A housing could be fabricated from plasticard, or see below.

For cosmetic (non-working) or, potentially, working ones, Miniatures by Eric makes a number of variations of ditch lights as lost wax brass castings, some of which could be illuminated.

https://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/collections/ho-detail-parts-l-to-p?page=2

Adrian

Considering how long ditch lights have been around now, it seems manufacturers are still content to ignore they exist as far as most model locos go.

On the other hand, the way they work needs a fair few functions in DCC - especially if they are fitted at both ends. How on earth you'd wire them for straight 12vDC I've no idea!!

I think the reason why no d/light is that when they first came out the Atlas wide/cab locos were all fitted with lights but not the C units, in real life the CN locos are UP/CNW repaints so Atlas are using the old body. The loco takes a 8 pin chip but I think I'd need something with 4 or5 functions, the more I look into it the more I like a nice set of dummy lights :scratchhead:

I think the reason why no d/light is that when they first came out the Atlas wide/cab locos were all fitted with lights but not the C units, in real life the CN locos are UP/CNW repaints so Atlas are using the old body. The loco takes a 8 pin chip but I think I'd need something with 4 or5 functions, the more I look into it the more I like a nice set of dummy lights :scratchhead:

To have working ditch lights at both ends (i.e. constant + alternating) you would likely need six functions (Headlight front/rear, front DLx2, rear DLx2).

Adrian

post-170-0-88356800-1501195071_thumb.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I've found a set of dummy ditch lights which are really close to the real thing

Edited by stock_2007