When TT3 was the next Big Thing

The layout looks a good one and will entertain many I am sure. the 3D render is quite amazing. my limited PC skills would defeat me so well done. Looking forward to more pictures and words.

Hi Robert,  the rendering is automatically done by the software when the track is viewed as a 3D model.  A basic track plan when looked at in 3D uses a green baseboard and as soon as you put inclines etc in the the baseboard follows the shape.

Although I used to teach 2D and 3D Autocad all the above is from the Scarm software.

All promising continued trade support for TT,

I have noticed this too in some of the recent old copies I have bought.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 1

A little out of sequence, due to old copies arriving, but here is Lydney with the station modified to 4 platforms and the larger goods sidings before the lower track was doubled, RM November 1971.

In the same copy there is a report about the up and coming Leeds show at the Corn Exchange and states from 1961 at 6' x 4'6" to 1971 at 15' x 10' this layout lays claim to be The Model Railway that runs faultlessly throughout every exhibition.

It is a great shame this layout never survived.

Garry

post-22530-0-45268700-1510843069_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Mine is loosely based around Mike Bryant's layout from Model Railway Constructor March 1958. I don't know if his was based on a Peco design or whether Peco based one around his. Mine has a couple of extra sidings, one on the lower level for a station and another on the upper level along with a loop line for exit to somewhere else. I used to have the Peco plan books but not seen them for a long time.

Garry

Although not an exact replica (and not surprisingly, given the different inspiration), the plan looks very reminiscent, in principle, of an RM Plan of the Month called Small and Simple, which was later rehashed a couple of times for the plan books and even updated for the 1989 edition of 60 Plans. The original was for a 00 layout using old-style tight radius Triang or Dublo track, intended as the next step from the traditional train set. The high-level terminus and oval continuous run with reversing loop are very similar. Mind you, given set track geometry in a confined space I guess any plan incorporating the same features will have a lot in common.

Still like it though and, even at the age of 50 and with such advanced experience under my belt as 7mm brass kit construction I still find the concept of such a layout really appealing as being both achievable and great fun.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 2

Someone scanned this for me earlier today and the bottom right plan shows the basic same image although in reverse mode.  A couple of slight differences but very similar and a mix between Mike Bryant's and my version.  Reading the copy CF states he designed it in 1964 so maybe he used Mike Bryant's version for inspiration.

My layout is being built for

1) hopefully quick and easy

2) the concept of fitting a working layout on a small board as advertised in the 1950's, original was 4' x 2' mine is 4'9" x 2'6"

3) the board will fit in the car in one piece to go shows. Already booked for Howden in March 2018.

I did like the look of the other layout on here but too big for my requirements.

Garry

post-22530-0-94376000-1510846576_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Although not an exact replica (and not surprisingly, given the different inspiration), the plan looks very reminiscent, in principle, of an RM Plan of the Month called Small and Simple, which was later rehashed a couple of times for the plan books and even updated for the 1989 edition of 60 Plans. The original was for a 00 layout using old-style tight radius Triang or Dublo track, intended as the next step from the traditional train set. The high-level terminus and oval continuous run with reversing loop are very similar. Mind you, given set track geometry in a confined space I guess any plan incorporating the same features will have a lot in common.

Still like it though and, even at the age of 50 and with such advanced experience under my belt as 7mm brass kit construction I still find the concept of such a layout really appealing as being both achievable and great fun.

Poor old soul,50?,your`e still a youngster.LOL.Likewise however,my modelling experience is much the same having built a 5" gauge 0-6-0 live steam loco & another on the stocks although i don`t think it will ever be finished,a 2-10-0 5" gauge WD Austerity,at the old age of 74,i can`t even lift it these days,still,the lathe & milling m/c still come in useful to restore & repair ancient (like me)Hornby Dublo trains

Ray.

• Like 1

Someone scanned this for me earlier today and the bottom right plan shows the basic same image although in reverse mode.  A couple of slight differences but very similar and a mix between Mike Bryant's and my version.  Reading the copy CF states he designed it in 1964 so maybe he used Mike Bryant's version for inspiration.

2) the concept of fitting a working layout on a small board as advertised in the 1950's, original was 4' x 2' mine is 4'9" x 2'6"

3) the board will fit in the car in one piece to go shows. Already booked for Howden in March 2018.

I did like the look of the other layout on here but too big for my requirements.

Garry

It`s good to see these old pages of RM,if nothing else,it`s pure nostalgia.I havn`t bought RM for years,if i want a catalogue,i go on the net.Things were never the same after CJ retired.

Ray.

• Like 1

Poor old soul,50?,your`e still a youngster.LOL.Likewise however,my modelling experience is much the same having built a 5" gauge 0-6-0 live steam loco & another on the stocks although i don`t think it will ever be finished,a 2-10-0 5" gauge WD Austerity,at the old age of 74,i can`t even lift it these days,still,the lathe & milling m/c still come in useful to restore & repair ancient (like me)Hornby Dublo trains

I know what you mean Ray its a long time since I was a 50 year old youngster. I am 65 and sold my 5" Duchess, 5" A4 and 7 1/4" WR 2-6-2 due to weight.  I did get rid of my large lathe and milling machine for a smaller Boxford/Myford lathe and to make space.

Garry

• Like 2

Garry

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. I think the 1989 revision mirror imaged the original left to right and included a short loop on the concealed side of the oval. I do like the fact that, even for a layout of this type, CJF showed full signalling and the plan allows operation in a reasonably prototypical manner in accordance with a sequence or timetable if the owner so wishes, along with shunting using something like Alan Wright's tiddlywink computer. It packs an awful lot of play value into not much space  and, being similar, I would imagine your TT rendering of the concept will do the same.

• Like 1

I will soon receive a few bits of TT mainly Romford and 3mm Kean Maygib wheels I think but there is a loco body that I do not know what is and wondered if anyone here could say, the seller thought maybe an M7?  It looks like it may need to be re-soldered at least but I could well have a running chassis for it.  The unmade Superquick station looks nice and may go on the new layout if it is not too big.

Looking at various photos I am wondering about the loco being an ex CR with the shape of the tanks?  What is throwing me on everything is the "toolbox" behind the bunker.  Whatever this was were they removed at a later stage?

Garry

post-22530-0-01226400-1510950024_thumb.jpeg

post-22530-0-26902400-1510950034.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi , Just been looking at LI 144- which is Scottish tank locos and much of the loco fits the CR 439 class but the bunker is wimpish compared to the photos and nothing in article to suggest a change. The narrow bunker/ cab to tanks also fits. The cab to tank height knocks out any of the HR and NBR locos in the book.

Robert   

Well, you've done it again Garry, I've just ordered off Ebay a copy of  RM November 1971, just for the Lydney article !!.

Some model railways just bite you - Lydney, Frank Dyers "Borchester" layouts, (after which my OO layout is named), David Jenkinsons S&C layouts, and a few others. Not many "modern" layouts do that these days, one though I particularly like is "January 68" by Blackpool & North Fylde MRC. Just tons of atmosphere.

Nice find there Garry, the loco looks scratch built, not a clue though as to it's prototype, I keep thinking "TT" but must resist !! Those days are happy memories for me. 

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 2

Hi , Just been looking at LI 144- which is Scottish tank locos and much of the loco fits the CR 439 class but the bunker is wimpish compared to the photos and nothing in article to suggest a change. The narrow bunker/ cab to tanks also fits. The cab to tank height knocks out any of the HR and NBR locos in the book.

Robert

Some of the Caley 171 Class 0-4-4t’s had a toolbox behind the bunker but the driving wheels were only 5’0” so your splashers look to big.

Ian.

Thanks chaps,

There is a possibility that the builder made his own design just based on other locos, whatever, when it comes and I get time, I will keep the parts there and work around it.

Some model railways just bite you - Lydney, Frank Dyers "Borchester" layouts, (after which my OO layout is named), David Jenkinsons S&C layouts, and a few others. Not many "modern" layouts do that these days, one though I particularly like is "January 68" by Blackpool & North Fylde MRC. Just tons of atmosphere.

I agree about Lydney and Borchester but I was never keen on DJ's Settle/Carlisle layouts which although well built were possibly the forerunners of today as they were just trains, not always frequent, going round and round.  As soon as Marthwaite ceased to be (Terminus to fiddle yard) his layouts lost the activity factor for me.

I shall have to look up the January 68 RM. 

Garry

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

There is a possibility that the builder made his own design just based on other locos, whatever, when it comes and I get time, I will keep the parts there and work around it.

I agree about Lydney and Borchester but I was never keen on DJ's Settle/Carlisle layouts which although well built were possibly the forerunners of today as they were just trains, not always frequent, going round and round.  As soon as Marthwaite ceased to be (Terminus to fiddle yard) his layouts lost the activity factor for me.

I shall have to look up the January 68 RM. 

Garry

Garry the layout is called january 68 (not the RM mag)

http://www.blackpoolandnorthfyldemrc.co.uk/Jan68page.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81001006/sets/72157624846199501/

Brit15

I will soon receive a few bits of TT mainly Romford and 3mm Kean Maygib wheels I think but there is a loco body that I do not know what is and wondered if anyone here could say, the seller thought maybe an M7?  It looks like it may need to be re-soldered at least but I could well have a running chassis for it.  The unmade Superquick station looks nice and may go on the new layout if it is not too big.

Looking at various photos I am wondering about the loco being an ex CR with the shape of the tanks?  What is throwing me on everything is the "toolbox" behind the bunker.  Whatever this was were they removed at a later stage?

Garry

She struck me immediately as a LBSCR 0-4-2T, but I can't claim any expertise in anything that didn't carry middle chrome green (and not a lot then!).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142090616373?chn=ps&dispctrl=1&adgroupid=48658149354&rlsatarget=pla-380363398309&abcId=1128956&adtype=pla&merchantid=7258004&poi=&googleloc=9045105&device=c&campaignid=857333742&crdt=0

Thanks for the link.  Amongst the layouts photos is a lovely shot of a 2-6-2 at Poulton heading towards Fleetwood.  The Junction is quite different to how it was the last few years I travelled over it 3 or 4 times a year being a 2 point 1 crossing Y junction still then the last time, October this year, all that has gone with no points anymore and the whole line with masts ready for electrification.

Garry

• Like 1

Garry

If it is a Caledonian locomotive (and it does look like one), it would be a 171 class 0-4-4T

• RMweb Gold

Hi That certainly looks better than my CR guess, every day a school day and shows the "family" likeness of the era - so much for originality it looks like plagiarism city !!  But that helps us having seen quite passable locos from opposite ends of the country: Ben from T7 for example

first shot also shows an outside framed GWR loco as well! 

Robert  

Do you have the roof by any chance?  That would settle it beyond a doubt.

I'm beginning to think it is an LBSCR 0-4-2T, mainly because the cab front is straight across, which it would be if the locomotive had a Stroudley type roof and also the side of the splasher is flat sided where it meets the footplate - there is no cut out or whatever it is called to clear the crank-pins.  Also the tanks on the 171 are slightly lower.

Mind you, it wouldn't be too hard to convert it to a Caledonian 171 class if that took your fancy (this photo shows the safety valve on the dome, but it was later moved to the boiler)  You might have to check for a photo of the locomotive you wanted to model - they didn't all have the toolbox at the rear:

b467cc1422c6f1a206f97f7f23a82351.jpg

Edited by Wolseley

Do you have the roof by any chance?  That would settle it beyond a doubt.

I'm beginning to think it is an LBSCR 0-4-2T, mainly because the cab front is straight across, which it would be if the locomotive had a Stroudley type roof and also the side of the splasher is flat sided where it meets the footplate - there is no cut out or whatever it is called to clear the crank-pins.  Also the tanks on the 171 are slightly lower.

Mind you, it wouldn't be too hard to convert it to a Caledonian 171 class if that took your fancy (this photo shows the safety valve on the dome, but it was later moved to the boiler)  You might have to check for a photo of the locomotive you wanted to model - they didn't have the toolbox at the rear.

b467cc1422c6f1a206f97f7f23a82351.jpg

I have no idea if a roof is included or not yet as I cannot see one on the photo of all the parts but I have been told there are still some bits not photographed to be sent.

I am quite happy to leave it as a LBSCR D1 if that is what it mostly looks like, as you say the absence of splasher cut outs help sway the argument for it to be this.  At least a few lasted to BR days so very happy I don't have to make up a fictitious number with people saying "that was never BR" .  I am quite surprised with cast brass chimney, dome etc and think the body maybe a scratchbuilt one.

I have just noticed also there is an XT60 motor included in one of the boxes.

Garry

post-22530-0-48906100-1511031712.jpeg

• Like 1

As far as I can find only one loco from over 100 received a 5 digit BR number and if so then this loco will be it, toolbox or no toolbox. I am not too fussed on such accuracy if the loco is already made, modellers license comes into play here.

Only a small amount made it into BR ownership and then were scrapped in 48/49 with the BR numbered one managing up till 1951.

Garry