When TT3 was the next Big Thing

The 3D printed West Country has been painted and partly lined out, just the opposite side footplate edge to do now, that's if if this side settles nicely.  Nameplates were ordered this week so awaiting the next batch to be done.

Garry

W-C footplate lined.JPG

• Like 6

Here is a Stanier 2-6-4 tank.  It is a 3mm society one designed for the Castle chassis.  Unfortunately the Castle chassis motor will not fit by a long way so I used the chassis but fitted an XT60 on.  Being whitemetal it is quite heavy and a good runner.  I am awaiting extra valve gear parts but due to the lockdown and the company already 8 weeks behind it will be quite a while for these items to get done.

Garry

Stanier motor issue.JPG

Stanier_42570-2.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

There were only a couple of V4's made I think and here is a model of the second one.  I bought this last year and as far as I know it is scratchbuilt.  I decided to buy this as it was a very early BR scheme which seems to suit it.  Unfortunately I cannot say any part is my handiwork although I have had made a smokebox number plate to go on the front.

Garry

Gresley V4.JPG

V4_chassis_1.JPG

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 13

Another bought loco, a Gresley V2.  This was bought at the same time as the V4 but the locos were made by different people.  The V2 is from a Pro-Scale 4mm kit that had been etched at 3mm scale.  It would not be something I would have tempted to build having seen what these kits look like, certainly not easy.

Garry

V2 60900-1.JPG

• Like 5

This is another loco bought at the same time as the V2 and V4.  This was built be Mike Edge in the early 80's and made to go around Tri-ang curves hence the Tri-ang style rear pony truck.   I am not a fan of Thompsons A2/2's but this model had a certain charm and with running on Tri-ang track I could not say no.

Garry

A2-2 - 1.JPG

A2 - V2 2.JPG

• Like 7

Gresley versus Thompson.  Here we have a Gresley A4 pulling Gresley teak coaches with a Thompson B1 pulling Thompson coaches.  The teaks were bought as was the B1, the rest are mine.  Since the video was made the B1 is now in lined BR livery, it is scratchbuilt on a Tri-ang chassis. 

Garry

• Like 4

One good thing about the 3mm society is the Parkside wagon kits available.  These are very good, easy to put together and then I discard the chassis and fit the body onto a Tri-ang wagon chassis.  Sometimes I have to cut the chassis to extend it and odd times I have to shorten it.  They certainly make the freight side a lot more interesting than the basic wagons Tri-ang made.  The long fruit van has had its solebars extended with plastic channel.  The SR one is awaiting moving the wheel sets in slightly then extending the solebars

Garry

Parkside SR parcels.JPG

2 3mm society vans - Copy.JPG

Fish, Ale, Banana.JPG

Parkside vans 1.JPG

Parkside vans 2.JPG

Parkside Fruit.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Lockdown modelling and a desire for 12mm roundy test track saw some bits thrown together after a bit of mulling on designs, now wired up and working .

I have started a 3SMR LSWR signal box kit and hope to add some scenery to lead towards a Withered Arm layout having read Peter Barnfields travelogue books from the 1950/60s.  Triang Spamcan masquerading as a WC and green coaches along with kit 14xx perhaps , but running LMS stuff will drag layout to S&D territory but given the southern half was very Southern then imagineering an overlap not too hard for my old brain.  Just need a no prize competition for  name...          

Robert   

camera_dump_29052020_3mm_layout_003.jpg

camera_dump_29052020_3mm_layout_008.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Another project on the go is an AL1, like the diesels this is a 3D printed body. Due to a long delay with the etching company, as it closed due to the current situation, I have no idea when the bogie mounting brackets will be available so apart from transfers sometime this is as far as it will get. 

Garry 

101025117_2867234473374536_3289872157630267392_o.jpg

• Like 8

As far as I know the only plastic coach kits produced by the 3mm society were the B-set ones and that was quite a while ago so you have to get while you can.  I have managed 3 sets so one is done in WR chocolate and cream, one set in BR crimson and the 3rd in BR maroon (unfinished as yet).  These look very nice but I have mounted mine on Tri-ang bogies, the kit did not include them so not wasted.

Garry

Brown_and_Cream_B_set_completed_1.JPG

• Like 6

The latest creations from Lenny Seeney arrived today, a lovely looking Cravens DMU. Mine will obviously be BR green but due to the weather at the moment it will be a while before I get to paint it. Certainly something different from the standard Tri-ang DMU, which, I am hoping to use to motorise it.

Garry

Cravens_DMU.JPG

• Like 4

Between the showers I managed to prime and get the green on the DMU shells. Also put lining on one side and looking okay so far. Instead of drilling the 3D print for the buffers I will make a brass one and solder buffers to it then glue to the body. 

As this is coming out well I have just bought a pair of Met Cam 101 shells too. 

The AL1 got its transfers on too but due to being an aluminium or stainless colour they do not show up well in the photo. 

Garry 

103441575_2895753963855920_5090232522864242290_o.jpg

103426433_2895755370522446_2168024823325447721_o.jpg

• Like 7

Here is the Cravens unit glazed and on the layout. This is the side without the bodyside crests as something different, I have one side with and one side without, but I do know it was usually only the motor vehicle that had them. Looking forward to the Met Cam arriving now hopefully this week.

Garry

Cravens_on_the_layout.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The Met Cam units from Lenny Seeney arrived today and look even better than the Cravens ones do. It will be a little longer to complete these as I do have other work to do at the moment (mostly not railway related) and I need to go to York for more green paint as I do not have any left now.  The green used is Rover Brooklands green and the local car spares stopped stocking the paint I like and use, (Hycote), so a little trek out is needed when I require some.

Garry

Met Cam 1.JPG

• Like 6

Just been trying to improve the Tri-ang Castle look.  To me it had a "copper" top (actually brass) that was too thin so I made a proper copper one slightly larger.  I did have to file down the plastic lip where the chimney sat on and I thing it has helped the appearance.  I will make another that is slightly wider as my top is thinner than the plastic.  It does look some what different yet the overall height is the same as the original.

Garry

Original chimney.JPG

Modified chimney.JPG

• Like 5

That Met Cam looks terrific- is it a commercially availible print? And is there an alternative to the rare Triang DMU chassis that could be used? I'm feeling tempted towards a trial micro in a new scale :)

Look up lennyapplegreen on Ebay, at the moment he also has Park Royal, Derby lightweight, and another set of bodies. I don't know if any more MetCams are available at the moment but I bought the Cravens first then this one. If you contact him he will let you know the situation. I have no idea about alternative chassis, I know the 3mm society used to do a bogie kit but no idea if still available but when I saw them I was not going to try to make one, you have to source other parts from places. I like the Tri-ang chassis and use wherever I can. 

Garry 

• Like 1

The Met Cam finished for now. I have run out of glazing and although it runs on the plain track I need to machine the wheels to go through the points as I had to with all DMU motor bogies. Its livery certainly fits in with the steam locos on the layout.

Garry

Met_Cam_on_layout.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3