When TT3 was the next Big Thing

A comparison of the Castle chimneys.  I made a small depth gauge to fit on the chimney stub so I could file the plastic ridge lower and more even although I forgot to blacken it. Should look a lot better when I make a slightly wider chimney of which the copper bar is on order.

Garry

2_Castle_chimneys.JPG

• Like 4

Needing the Tri-ang DMU motor bogie in the Met Cam unit to run through Peco points I decided to do an extra 3 for other projects. These are not the easiest to strip down due to their construction and often the plastic axle splits allowing the wheels to spin freely. These are repaired with a plastic sleeve and glued onto the axle. Each wheel has about 0.15 taken off the rear. 

Garry 

104692650_2929249157173067_9216723632989463407_o.jpg

105029453_2929249430506373_7464036486901995421_o.jpg

• Like 5

Hi David, 

No specific date, I did a couple of hoardings for the 00 layout and sizewise seem acceptable to TT.  I chose two posters from the early 60's as suitable from films I liked, one being my favourite "The Young Ones", and a James Bond one lol. 

I don't have a specific period date just mainly BR steam and although called York South any regional locos have running rights. I even have a French Pacific and coaches running as the channel tunnel was opened early and allowed steam to travel through. Thats my excuse for the Tri-ang 4-6-2 on the layout along with the shunter and short freight although they came on the rail ferries. 

Garry 

• Like 2

I turned the flanges of 3 sets of Castle open spoked wheels down as these do hit the chairs on Peco track and the first one I tested seemed to have made no difference. After a short examination it was now the bogie wheel flanges hitting all the chairs. It seems Tri-ang started making some plastic wheels with deeper flanges too.  These can be a problem in a lathe being plastic so I used the drill and a file to reduce them. The copper came today so here is the MK2 chimney. Looks better but maybe a tweak here or there.

Bogie wheel issues.JPG

Mk2_copper_top..JPG

• Like 5

Just won a very nice Lord Rodney loco. It had a 6 wheel tender advertised separately as the seller did not know the first 5 or 6 had them before getting the longer bogie ones. The valve gear needs tidying up, I may dismantle and shape the ends or see if I have anything better but the body is nicely constructed from nickel silver. It has the lovely XT60 so runs well although I may have to remove the centre flanges.  I also got a very poor body that does have a nicer large chimney so that may get swapped when I repaint it. 

A few years ago I did get a couple of Tri-ang continental bogie tenders with a view to building this loco and last year got a brass tender body which will fit the tender nicely when I cut the top off. 

A nice project for the next few months to add to all the rest. 

Garry 

106161487_2945624518868864_7261106332882205825_o.jpg

106183060_2945624665535516_8254045306346849147_o.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Garry,

Why not get a French Pacific :) (or two) :) :) :)    to go with the tenders and fit the brass body with the correct bogies?

David

(I know then you need some French coaches....)

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

Hi Garry,

Why not get a French Pacific :) (or two) :) :) :)    to go with the tenders and fit the brass body with the correct bogies?

David

(I know then you need some French coaches....)

Do you mean like this David?

I would like to get a couple of the green Forestiere  coaches but they are like hens teeth.   

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Hmm, I wonder if you could cut down one of the old Jouef/Playcraft CIWL restaurant cars to go with that set? They were certainly well short of scale and so probably undersized (for H0) in the windows too.

Thanks Bernard, it is worth looking at.  Tri-ang did advertise this coach in their TT range using the Pullman as a donor but never put it into production. 

Update

Managed to get a cheap one to try out. 

Garry 

Edited by Silverfox17

Stripped and chimney fitted she looks more like a Nelson class loco now. I made two, two piece chimneys, as the first one (close to scale size) looked too big so a smaller one was also made.  Once the old chimney was desoldered I could try my two new ones and the smaller one was a definite no so the larger was soldered on. The tender body has been screwed to the Tri-ang chassis and now only needs 3 new air tanks made. Hopefully not long before painting commences and then that valve gear to be sorted out.

Two chimneys.JPG

Lorde_Nelson_unpainted.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Also managed to do the valve gear on one side of the BR standard 3 2-6-2 tank.  As everything was guess work, no drawing was ever seen or used, and fitting a 3D body to a Tri-ang chassis it looks well and runs fine.  Hopefully I may get the second side on tomorrow then dig out some cylinder covers I have.

Garry

Standard_3_tank_valve_gear.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hours of fun ahead !  They all look crisply etched so hopefully a joy to use, the castle looks better .  Hopefully the Micky Mouse will work as well, going to follow that carefully. 

Robert.

They are not too bad, just hope they all fit as all of it was guess work. I have enough to do quite a few models and things like the Micky Mouse will only need one set so I may have a spare set later.  For some silly reason I only put 2 sets of union and combination links on each set so single thickness only. Hopefully still strong enough as the 2-6-2 seems to be.  This is the MM I bought and as the plastic cab sides just broke being very brittle I have some etched ones arrive today which may suit. 

Garry 

96589590_2827239407374043_3140064656123494400_o.jpg

• Like 2

On 28/06/2020 at 16:10, Silverfox17 said:

Do you mean like this David?

I would like to get a couple of the green Forestiere  coaches but they are like hens teeth.   

Hi Garry,

Yes! Just like that!   :)

The Fowler 2-6-4 is now ready for action with all valve gear on. I thought I had a smokebox number for this but will have to order one, unless it is on the current order. It is a Lenny Seeney 3D printed body on a Castle chassis. Obviously certain liberties are made when using standard chassis's with a fixed wheelbase so the rear bogie does have a slightly shorter wheelbase but everything is a comprise as such.  Will have to get on with its smaller partner the Fowler 2-6-2 now hopefully.

Garry

Fowler_2-6-4_ready.JPG

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Silverfox17 said:

The Fowler 2-6-4 is now ready for action with all valve gear on. I thought I had a smokebox number for this but will have to order one, unless it is on the current order. It is a Lenny Seeney 3D printed body on a Castle chassis. Obviously certain liberties are made when using standard chassis's with a fixed wheelbase so the rear bogie does have a slightly shorter wheelbase but everything is a comprise as such.  Will have to get on with its smaller partner the Fowler 2-6-2 now hopefully.

Garry

Fowler_2-6-4_ready.JPG

Hi Garry

The smokebox Number42305 has been ordered Already & is been etch at this time as are otheres

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12mm track is 1/1/20 scale for all practical purposes. i know 12mm track is really 1/119.58. 

I strikes me as a gauge/scale ready to to be taken on by some upstart in the business. 

Many of those magazine non running models are I believe 1/120 and looks better than N but not much worse than ho/oo.

Mostly like picking lottery number predicting future trends, and I have certainly not done well predicting those number. But one may dream of a lottery win, or plent of TT trains.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tramcard said:

12mm track is 1/1/20 scale for all practical purposes. i know 12mm track is really 1/119.58. 

I strikes me as a gauge/scale ready to to be taken on by some upstart in the business. 

Many of those magazine non running models are I believe 1/120 and looks better than N but not much worse than ho/oo.

Mostly like picking lottery number predicting future trends, and I have certainly not done well predicting those number. But one may dream of a lottery win, or plent of TT trains.

When Tri-ang first introduced TT in 1957 their initial leaflet stated built to a scale of 1:120 but then finding their bodies needed to be bigger had to reprint it with scale 1:100 but by then track, chassis's etc were all done so 12mm it stayed and no way will I ever think of going to 13.5 or 14.2 as some do.  

The magazine non runners ( I assume you mean the A3, A4, V2 Duchess etc?) are very close to 1:100, the Corgi ones are 1:120 unfortunately although their Hogwarts Castle (Hall really) was made at 1:100.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The Fowler 2-6-2 is not as easy as the others. With having a single slide bar it gave me more burnt fingers assembling the crossheads than the others have done along with shaping the wrapper over the top of the slidebar and down the other side without too much play. Due to guess work I have had to cut off the bar for the combination and radius links and will have to think of a way to fix them, I do have a couple of ideas in mind. This loco came to me painted like this and I am in two minds whether to strip or leave it as I suspect it is from the same stable as a 4-4-0 that is coming my way soon and one I already have.

Garry

Fowler_2-6-2_with_one_slide_bar.JPG

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Silverfox17 said:

The Fowler 2-6-2 is not as easy as the others. With having a single slide bar it gave me more burnt fingers assembling the crossheads than the others have done along with shaping the wrapper over the top of the slidebar and down the other side without too much play. Due to guess work I have had to cut off the bar for the combination and radius links and will have to think of a way to fix them, I do have a couple of ideas in mind. This loco came to me painted like this and I am in two minds whether to strip or leave it as I suspect it is from the same stable as a 4-4-0 that is coming my way soon and one I already have.

Garry

Fowler_2-6-2_with_one_slide_bar.JPG

The light on the table makes it look like the loco is simmering gently and has a wisp of steam coming from the safety valves.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1