When TT3 was the next Big Thing

A lovely little loco and tender arrived this morning. It needs a new cab, spectacle plate and roof but is a beautiful runner, at the moment it can even do repeat wheelies. From what I understand it was built from nickel a long time ago and then a new owner wanted a different cab so the metal one was removed and a plastic one made which unfortunately has gone very brittle and cracked/broken up.

The construction is very similar to a few locos I have including the body and chassis, the motor mount is similar to the recent Nelson I bought leading me to think it is the same builder that has done a few of the ones I own.

Garry

Butler_Henderson_1.JPG

Butler_Henderson_2.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Sarahagain said:

That chassis is very like the Tri-ang Railways, OO Gauge, L1 4-4-0... :)

Yes, but with the XT60 instead of the X04.  It does lack the cast weight the L1 had but has a lot inside the body instead. 

Garry 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

That chassis is very like the Tri-ang Railways, OO Gauge, L1 4-4-0... :)

.... but precariously fragile where it is cut away around the front bearing of the XT60 !

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

.... but precariously fragile where it is cut away around the front bearing of the XT60 !

John Isherwood.

It has lasted around 50 years so far, and it does have a strengthener piece underneath.

Garry

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

I assume it's a GEM kit. They later did a 00 'L1' chassis replacement when Triang-Hornby withdrew the L1 for which they'd made quite a few body kits.

No sorry Bernard.  Both loco and chassis are scratchbuilt, loco from Nickel and chassis from Brass.  Gem only made an 0-6-0 and 0-4-2 chassis in TT and the TT 4-4-0 body was for an LNWR model.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

According to the Tri-ang TT book I was looking at this morning, there is a Compound loco that could have been made at Margate as a possible future model...

That's right, if you look closely at it, the model is very similar to what BEC brought out although theirs was the 2P.  There is the odd difference but basically the same.  It also looked to have a tender drive which was possibly the K's one at the time.  The wheels look very odd compared to the splasher sizes.

Garry

• Like 1

Hi Gary.

The book says that the compound loco's tender is probably from a white metal kit, and is fitted with a modified motor bogie from the Brush Type 2, A1A-A1A, class 31.

Edited by Sarahagain
typo

9 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

Hi Gary.

The book says that the compound loco's tender is probably from a white metal kit, and is fitted with a modified motor bogie from the Brush Type 2, A1A-A1A, class 31.

I had forgotten that Sarah, it was over a year ago when I last read it, just looked at the photo again, an age thing lol. 

Garry 

Just to note what the book is! ;)

Tri-ang TT Gauge Railways An In-depth Review By Rob Hampton.

The cover is based on the 1962 Tri-ang TT catalogue.

Recommended...

A perfect companion to the Rovex books by Pat Hammond.

I've looked at the book again this morning to check the details...

My aging memory can be unreliable at times. No upgrade available either! ;)

1 hour ago, Sarahagain said:

Just to note what the book is! ;)

Tri-ang TT Gauge Railways An In-depth Review By Rob Hampton.

The cover is based on the 1962 Tri-ang TT catalogue.

Recommended...

A perfect companion to the Rovex books by Pat Hammond.

I've looked at the book again this morning to check the details...

My aging memory can be unreliable at times. No upgrade available either! ;)

Yes, thats the one. I have had mine 2 or 3 years now and noticed that Rob has brought the price down by £4 in a couple of steps over the time I bought mine. 

Garry 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The front bogie wheels look better over the Triang plastic ones.  The valve looks fine and delicate  , but I can see the drop link maybe wants to be 2mm longer as the horizontal short link sits at a funny angle but guess a result of having to crank out - any room on the top pin to fit a spacer behind or does body get in the way . 

Whatever it looks better with valve gear once skirts removed  and you have lovely finish on the loco and tender. If I did not know the gauge it could be mistaken for Hornby doublo / Wrenn example in 4mm

Robert      

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

The front bogie wheels look better over the Triang plastic ones.  The valve looks fine and delicate  , but I can see the drop link maybe wants to be 2mm longer as the horizontal short link sits at a funny angle but guess a result of having to crank out - any room on the top pin to fit a spacer behind or does body get in the way . 

Whatever it looks better with valve gear once skirts removed  and you have lovely finish on the loco and tender. If I did not know the gauge it could be mistaken for Hornby doublo / Wrenn example in 4mm

Robert      

Thanks Robert,

There is no room higher up, I was lucky to get it in as it was. The problem is it is all guess work and if I shortened the drop link it is tight when the wheels are at rear dead centre. I could look at dropping the one from the crosshead but done all in situ is not easy. 

The bogie wheels are far better but unobtainable now, they are Romford/Jackson which are not made now as far as I know. I got the remaindet of box full a couple of years ago and run out now. 10.5 crop up often but not 9mm ones. 

Garry 

• Like 2

On 23/05/2020 at 17:47, Silverfox17 said:

Another bought loco, a Gresley V2.  This was bought at the same time as the V4 but the locos were made by different people.  The V2 is from a Pro-Scale 4mm kit that had been etched at 3mm scale.  It would not be something I would have tempted to build having seen what these kits look like, certainly not easy.

Garry

V2 60900-1.JPG

Whoever was building these, really had the knack with the valve gear...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Whoever was building these, really had the knack with the valve gear...

The chap who sold the kits built this one.  I have heard of a couple of others who have the kit and finding it very difficult, not just the valve gear but the lot.  I have an A1 which I bought 2 years ago and left it soon after starting but will persevere one day.

Garry  

All building and running services suspended until further notice. The civil engineers/permanent way dept have been clearing the the old loco shed site as BR has agreed a new depot needs to be built as they have decided steam will stay for a lot longer than planned and need a larger depot for accommodation.

Garry

DSC02276.JPG

DSC02279.JPG

DSC02283.JPG

• Like 10

41 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

A big land grab good job planning permission not needed !  I can see a perhaps  round house and workshop frontage and a good line of locos.  

Yes thats right, compulsory purchase order on some houses and part of the street as well. No roundhouse as no room for one unfortunately, but a straight running shed will be there most likely. Should hold about 18 or 19 locos. I might even get 3 or 4 short tank engine lines in. Certainly a paradise for train spotters. 

Garry 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

After a trip to B and Q I have the raised loco depot track bed done. Next will be finding the paint before track laying. The over track signal box now requires a modification to its frame as it needs to be angled now, hopefully easy to do.

Garry

DSC02296.JPG

DSC02299.JPG

• Like 5