When TT3 was the next Big Thing

• RMweb Premium

One of the attractions with these units is that as I'm 'hopefully' fitting these to an exhibitable layout should there be any issues or failures they can be easily and quickly replaced without having to fire up the soldering iron and maybe even be bought at the exhibition itself if necessary. The layout only requires 6 but I know that it might be awkward to get them in initially as I also need to fit overcenter spring units as well as the points are handbuilt. I'll let you know if I've been successful or not.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 3

Here is the coaling tower but in 3 pieces as I am going to put some card inside to stiffen it a little, the plastic is only thin. The only issue as such is I used the longer legs as it was all a guess as it was scaled up from an N gauge kit so the chap did longer legs for me as well as the standard ones but then the stairs are not long enough, the top set I just lowered and I will make a small platform for the bottom set to sit on as per some depots. There were two hopper chute sizes and I am going to put the short hopper chutes onto the larger ones to extend them slightly as there is room, but I preferred using the longer legs, I might have got away with the shorter ones but did not want to chance gluing it all up and not get a loco in.  There is also a handrail to fit when it is fully assembled.  At the moment I have not decided on a vertical or angled wagon lift, that will come later when its position in the depot is sorted.

Garry

Coaling tower ass 1 (1).JPG

Coaling_tower_ass_2.JPG

Coaling tower ass 3.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

53 minutes ago, 03060 said:

That looks like it might be a 'Championship' winner, Garry ?  ;)

Thanks but unfortunately I have not built it, I had it made for me by Mike Edge after seeing one he built a while ago. He made the A2/2 I bought privately last year off Ted Boocock and thought as that was really nice and seeing a B17 I took the plunge to have one built. 

Garry 

• Like 4

Golden Eagle practically finished with another pair of 247 Developments nameplates.  This part built kit came without any buffers so 00 ones are fitted for now (probably forever) but I may try to recess them further back later.  It is a pity Gem did not do a proper shaped front but I guess it was stretched to use the Tri-ang chassis which was the continental version of the Britannia BUT had the longer wheelbase from the Castle fitted.  I have used the shorter Britannia one.

Garry 

DSC02919.JPG

• Like 6

While looking for something else I found this in a box which I never knew I had. I know I have a whitemetal kit for one, which needs a chassis drawing up one day, but had no idea of this one as well. It is scratchbuilt and fitted with Jinty wheels and XT60 motor which I like. The wheels will need the flanges reducing, probably tomorrow but this should look look good when in BR black.  The chassis looks scratchbuilt and interestingly I cannot see a joint for the cylinders which there must be to prevent a short.  The coupling rod is from rail and looks to have the outer wheels threaded to hold it in place but I may look at getting some rods etched, they could easily be added to another sheet of parts.

Garry

ROD_2-8-0.JPG

• Like 12

The ROD 2-8-0 chassis, this will not be as easy as I thought to reduce the flanges as it looks as if the wheels were removed to fit the axles in holes, not slots, then quartered again. I may have to use a set not separated yet and reduce the flange before removing a wheel to replace, thankfully I do have plenty and possibly some with a smaller flange anyway. The chassis has 1/16" sides and a solid piece of brass between so quite heavy as such. No idea why to capacitors were fitted though.

Even the motor is "permanently" fastened in as the screw holding it goes through a bracket to the top pole piece then the bracket is soldered to the frames with no screwdriver access. I should be able to get narrow nosed pliers in and do a quarter turn at a time like with the Director chassis.

Garry

ROD 2-8-0 chassis.JPG

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 7

Body stripped ready for painting and 3 sets of wheels replaced, these are in holes not slots unfortunately. As these had larger tapped holes for a different crankpin, and been on and off an axle already, I used 3 new sets, the 4th axle to do is the driven one so will have to do separate wheels as the gear is set in the frames. I am going to have a go at making some new rods so the old ones have been soldered to some nickel strip ready to drill the holes. I found a couple of Jinties with the shallower flange and a couple that need turning down, plus, one with shallow flange at the front and a deeper one at the rear end which is strange.

Garry

DSC02947.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Recent additions to the freight department are these lovely 3D prints of the GWR Cordon gas tanks available from 247 Developments. These are the first "solid" items available in TT scale from them to go along with the excellent etched numberplates and SR headcode discs they sell. 

Garry 

118525963_3125154614249186_3750950491553426410_o.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

@03060 - have you seen these Ian?

Yes Barry , noticed them this morning ....just not quite sure as how to work them through onto the S&DJR ?? :unsure_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Garry , Really good looking and if it takes enlarging to  not quite 7mm to the foot I would not worry three much let alone too much .  The bogie tender is unusual but makes a good change from 6 wheels.  lovely finish all round and look forward to seeing them run on York South - or on the new depot !

Robert   

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Garry , Really good looking and if it takes enlarging to  not quite 7mm to the foot I would not worry three much let alone too much .  The bogie tender is unusual but makes a good change from 6 wheels.  lovely finish all round and look forward to seeing them run on York South - or on the new depot !

Robert   

The tender for the Lord Nelson is a body that came in a small lot and I have fitted it to a Tri-ang continental tender chassis hence the unusual shape.  It could do with etched overlays on the bogies but with none available I may just cut some rectangles for now and one day see about whitemetal axlebox castings for it.

Garry

• Like 2

Just received the new Deltic today and a beauty it is. My original two are resin mouldings that are not as detailed and crisp as this is. It is from the same chap, Lenny Seeny, (lennyapplegreen on Ebay) but now produced as a 3D printed body. Hopefully tomorrow I may get the dark green on. 

Garry 

119087839_3159550920809555_1963438278125545949_o.jpg

• Like 8