When TT3 was the next Big Thing

I managed to get a couple of 3mm etched kits (M7 and class Z 0-8-0) and the material used is unbelievable.  The M7 body material is 0.13mm (some parts were 0.26mm) thick. A lot is half etched giving the thinner material so the beading is 0.26 leaving the rest at 0.13 and its chassis 0.26mm as well. It is ridiculous using such thin material for various reasons, weight, distortion when soldering, difficult to file edges without distortion, very easily bent by accident when handling, chassis in my opinion just useless.

Garry

ps no painting for a while as no paint in house so had to order some which may get posted out next Monday or Tuesday.

M7_body_thickness.JPG

M7_chassis_thickness.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here is the M7 and Z class locos as they are at the minute.  

Those valances on the Z class are a nightmare, although looking at the model normally it is not as bad as the photo, so small and so thin two pieces laminated. The saddle was far too small to hold and assemble so I made one from a solid piece of brass filing a recess for the smokebox. The "tissue paper" boiler did bend when drilling but thankfully most has been remedied. Still needs more cleaning and the cab steps will be fitted when I sort out how to strengthen the side sheets before taking off the parts in the doorways, material at 0.13 is very easily bent/distorted. I did once say I would not touch another of these kits but I am a mug, hopefully never again. The castings again are just placed in situ with blue tack for the smokebox door. Hopefully all its short comings will be hidden under some paint.

The M7 footplate was etched where the cab floorboards are BUT the etching has gone all the way across so these are seen on the outside, yet another issue. The castings and handrail are not fixed as yet and more cleaning required. The steps are all coming off as far too thin, one has already broken off. When I draw a chassis up I will add some stronger steps to it. Cannot believe someone once said "a nice kit for a beginner".  

I am not an expert but definitely not a beginner. 

Garry

Z_with_castings.JPG

M7_with_castings.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Made a couple of mock up chassis's to test the motors fitting into the bodies and I think I have sorted them now. A bit more cutting was required, more on the M7, but was easily done. I did have to modify the motor as well for the M7 though.

For some reason I cannot upload the M7 photos, not even in a new post which are well under the 10mb limit, will try later.

Garry

Z_test_chassis.JPG

Z_test_motor_to_body.JPG

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The Bo-Bo Warship is coming along and I am close to thinking of small Yellow panels as this loco looks like it suits them but the yellow shape is not like the others unfortunately. It is difficult to tell if they are straight on the top or slightly curved. I also need to sort out some buffers too, this may get 00 ones.  The windows will not be cut out, just painted black.

Garry

Warship 2nd stage paint.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning Garry,

Regarding the Warship windows, rather than painting them black you could try 'colouring' them in with a HB pencil which gives a nice sheen effect and is simple to do, I've used this method on a couple of Zvesda lorry kits.

Regards,

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 1

Had 3 DMU sets delivered today and one set was destined for the stripping bath. Before delivery that was on the cards though as I knew what they were like.  Surprisingly all 3 went in the bath at the same time and was agitated yet all 3 had different amounts stripped of the roofs. All 3 are now primed and awaiting a paint job. Until I see what car paint is available in the shop I have no idea yet which colour scheme it will be. 

Garry 

119967385_3188943307870316_7145393950608379800_o.jpg

119886712_3189152391182741_2022731596219114561_o.jpg

119973544_3189466051151375_6367041892537128890_o.jpg

• Like 7

Yet another reason why I do not use Neo magnets. I found this yesterday with the plating on the ends cracking and peeling. This has never been in a loco as I had discovered the issues with these before fitting it so it has just been used as a paper weight. 

There is nothing wrong with old Tri-ang magnets, they are still very reliable after all these years, I know the one here is for the Dublo 1/2" motor but I wont be buying any TT ones. 

Garry 

DSC_0733.JPG

DSC_0735.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Blimey page 42 last saw update on Locktown junction, so yesterday got last point motor in place, still odd derailments - saw horse box red carded but the two points incorporated into the 2nd radius  curve at one end still produce derailments so even after swapping points about I think some check rails ahead of blades will be necessary.  Also tidied up wiring so a pic of that for the record. 

404358952_ttlayout101020002.jpg.9bce81d9af8a6f92ed165ce39ba25bd8.jpg

Last motor fitted on branch turnout all throw fully and give good contact, bottom point fully over but a facing move sees about a 10% derailment rate.

1660862746_ttlayout101020006.jpg.a57e108ecff06add2f0f18c5433e735b.jpg

Whoops not as sharp as I thought , but shows idea  point motor wires on left and track feeds on right. Right hand side to frame is for a 6din plug for flying lead from lovely old H&M  Clipper . 

One day scenery will appear but no rush it has to be said.  Likely to be BR (S) based having built an etched Corfe Castle style signalbox- not that it is finished gutters and painting when mood takes. 

Robert    

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Silverfox17 said:

I wish I could do my wiring as neat, mine just dangles from underneath all over the place. 

Garry 

Have to send you to the loom shop to see how such dangles can be prevented.   ( well if the carr works still existed anyway!)

Robert 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

What are the objects stacked on the platform, bottom centre? Some sort of small express cargo? I thought at first they might be bundles of newspaper, but I can’t make them out? 

I thought publications of some sort initially, but they're boxlike with a lid tied on, very neatly,  with string.

Flowers, stalked veg?

You can see something like that sticking out of the container second-left.

14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I thought publications of some sort initially, but they're boxlike with a lid tied on, very neatly,  with string.

Flowers, stalked veg?

You can see something like that sticking out of the container second-left.

I did think they might be soft fruit punnets, but some sort of stalked veg (asparagus?) would make sense. They would need to be something worth sending in small quantities by express train, but not requiring particularly careful handling 

24 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I did think they might be soft fruit punnets, but some sort of stalked veg (asparagus?) would make sense. They would need to be something worth sending in small quantities by express train, but not requiring particularly careful handling 

They're those boxes made of thin strips of wood that were frequently used by greengrocers or flower producers in olden times... 

boxes.jpg.e023b36487667b4cf55e91dc29980c63.jpg

I'd have thought they would be too fragile for soft fruit, but they're long enough for cut flowers like daffs and in the quantity deposited on the platform might represent the early or late flow of produce that would merit a special train at peak production.  Waterloo 1967? Its a pity that the time of the year isn't specified. Might be Scilly Daffs?

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

That link takes us to a SR open wagon.looks like a PECO Wonderful Wagon chassis, with the Anita couplings.

There are two PECO TT wagon chassis, steel channel, and wooden solebar construction.

The body is different from the Tri-ang TT Open Wagon body, unless the details around the doors has been modified.

Amongst the other wagons, there are a lot of apparent PECO chassis.

There are PECO kits of various Private Owner wagons there too.

The Cattle Wagon looks like the Tri-ang  body on a PECO chassis.

PECO did sell slightly modified (the body fixing lugs were ground off from the wagon base) Tri-ang  bodies with their chassis as kits.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added

• 4 weeks later...

Good job I have a few spare Brit chassis's, one here is used on Lenny Seeny's latest creation a Clan class loco. Yet another fine example.

It will be at least Easter time I think before it is warm enough to paint though and she will be the first in the class Clan Buchanan.

Garry

TT Clan Buchanan.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, 45568 said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/aussietrains/m.html?item=233885772213&hash=item3674ada9b5%3Ag%3AhTkAAOSwGIlgHcfA&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

This bloke has many TT items for sale, the prices don't look cheap, but appear in good condition.

No connection etc.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

The phrase here would be "He must be on cloud cuckoo land". £140 for a Jinty, £30 for a goods wagon, they would be very expensive even if it included postage which they dont. 

I will say the 3 continental items seem to be fair prices but all the British is way, way over the top, good luck to him though. 

Garry 

• Agree 1