When TT3 was the next Big Thing

Loco 3 that arrived today is a Standard 4 tank. This is because I was always disappointed with the Bec kit which somehow looked wrong. My guess was it was maybe short as the trailing bogie had to have wheels too close. I asked Lenny how long his was and it is 3mm longer than the Bec kit with cab slightly further back and a longer bunker. I may scrap the Bec and modify the chassis to fit the new body, time will tell.

Standard 4 comparisons .JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

4MT does look better from the hand of Lenny but the BEC model filled a need in its day and adaption to fit rtr chassis is still a valid way today - you accept the compromises and get on and enjoy it . Some compromises like the Lima  N(ish) Deltic are hard to swallow but it did for a while.  

Robert 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 19:50, Golden Fleece 30 said:

I have the final CIWL version with better looking table lamps. I now need to sort out a colour to match the blue for the ends then I can fix the sides on properly. Managed to scale a headboard but difficult to cut out, you wont see it at 100 mph though.

Garry

Night Ferry 2.JPG

DSC00813.JPG

CIWL  v3.JPG

Hi @Golden Fleece 30

Great work and the sides look really good.  I have been working on a similar Night Ferry train but in N Gauge and considered printed sides at one point.  To my knowledge, the CIWL cars used on the Night Ferry were all over blue and not blue/white (hope I am wrong though).

In later years, there was a French railways Fourgon at the front (1 or 2) and a MK1 Blue/Grey brake at the rear.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Paddy

Edited by Paddy

11 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Hi @Golden Fleece 30

Great work and the sides look really good.  I have been working on a similar Night Ferry train but in N Gauge and considered printed sides at one point.  To my knowledge, the CIWL cars used on the Night Ferry were all over blue and not blue/white (hope I am wrong though).

In later years, there was a French railways Fourgon at the front (1 or 2) and a MK1 Blue/Grey brake at the rear.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Paddy

Thanks Paddy,  The Night Ferry was probably all blue as it was a sleeper but this was done similar to the Tri-ang one advertised but never went into production, and, modellers licence allows it to travel over here.  I am looking at getting some all blue sides done with Sleeper on and will put them in a train together as a French enthusiasts special to the UK.  I have seen photos with Fourgons on and one photo with a Blue and Grey coach attached.

Garry

• Like 2

The WD chassis drawing is coming along nicely (I hope) and then it will be a few small modifications so the majority of it will fit the society brass 8F I have which has what I call a tissue paper chassis that is no good for me. Once done I can send off for etching. I am hoping I can fit the XT60 motor in although I know it will protrude to the back of the cab but that is not much different to the Tri-ang Castle anyway. The front part with two holes will be folded down onto the frames. The crosshead will actually be running under the slide bar not on it and the 8F will have the standard two slidebar set up.

Garry

WD chassis.jpg

• Like 3

The CIWL blue/creme Pullman cars only wore a white roof for a short time, after that these were painted light grey. So you have a choice (I always like the white roofs).

Regards

Fred

White:

1194307485_4089LEtoileduNord19270527.jpg.da05d2ebd11ffd801e9b0569f5513ce8.jpg

Grey:

Fleche4.JPG.d131e12121e183bfbc4eb7815c4dc0ec.JPG

Two models

PIC_0393.jpg.e3fa432783b4a59ff599e7c3c21d5712.jpg

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I always liked the white roofs but I think a darker one would suit this vehicle better and as Robert says contrasts with the windows. Tri-ang had planned quite a dark one. 

Hopefully today I may get white on the quad set, cream on the tourist set, and silver on one of the Coronation coaches. 

Garry 

• Like 2

The Coronation Restaurant/Kitchen car, the silver roof has come out well. The valance is only card at the moment until I get some etched. The wheels will be getting replaced with metal ones soon which I think were supposed to be red but will think on that. I decided to go for a grey roof on the CWIL which I think suits it better.

Garry

Coronation Buffet.JPG

CWIL grey roof.JPG

• Like 4

On 28/02/2021 at 10:46, sncf231e said:

The CIWL blue/creme Pullman cars only wore a white roof for a short time, after that these were painted light grey. So you have a choice (I always like the white roofs).

Regards

Fred

White:

1194307485_4089LEtoileduNord19270527.jpg.da05d2ebd11ffd801e9b0569f5513ce8.jpg

Grey:

Fleche4.JPG.d131e12121e183bfbc4eb7815c4dc0ec.JPG

Two models

PIC_0393.jpg.e3fa432783b4a59ff599e7c3c21d5712.jpg

I really like the look of those Pullmans- what make are they please?

I changed the window shading on the Bulleid 57' 1st/2nd mainline coaches and here is one fitted to a Tri-ang coach. I put some numbers on hopefully accurate ones as I was drawing these on the printer.  I do have an all 2nd and brake to make up a set but need more donors.

Garry

Bulleid 1st 2nd 57' corridor side.JPG

Bulleid 1st 2nd 57' compartment.JPG

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 8