When TT3 was the next Big Thing

1 hour ago, Lacathedrale said:

Lovely locos - do you have any pictures of the layout these run on?

Thank you William, there are some further back in the post but here are a couple for now. I have not done anything on the layout for nearly 12 months now for various reasons, mainly home schooling, but there is still a lot to do on it.

Garry

Busy station.JPG

Cutting (1).JPG

Fiddle yard open end 2.JPG

Terrace 1.JPG

Station names.JPG

DSC02554.JPG

DSC02535.JPG

DSC00743.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The front bogie frames needed to be lengthened to fit the Tri-ang bogie and to "highlight" their shape I have dry brushed a different colour on top of the black. I am going to try to lower the body but need to replace the coupling mounting screws as the heads are in the way. I am hoping the etched buffer heads appear this week.

Garry

The Condor.JPG

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Hi Gary,

Looking good.  As a matter of interest, where did you get your CONDOR headboard?

Many thanks 

Paddy

Hi Paddy,

That is a Fox 00 one I have had for quite a few years and had forgotten about it and found it while searching for 00/Dublo to sell.  A little overscale for TT but it will do and save my pennies for something else.

Garry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Black 5 has a bit of valve gear now although I have had to resort to gluing the slidebar assembly on, it should not be a problem as normal etched ones are all soldered up anyway.   I have thought of doing the eccentric rod the Tri-ang way but the return crank seems to slip on its pin so will have to look at replacing the centre set as I do have a few spare.

Garry

Black 5 valve gear.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

581468393_TTTTAtanks300421015.jpg.e73b4973a93e235981cfd52d492f7f1c.jpg

Latest 3mm creations - TTA tanks , black does not help so. A n earlier photo

117596051_TTTTAtanks300421006.jpg.c5c46a9f80c1cec138914d389f2d2706.jpg

tanks with 25mm conduit and as in real life the chassis covers several wagon types so a Foster Yeoman POA easy to do , just need around 20 and a 56 or 59 to pull.  The tanks are for depot fuel so just a couple needed but in green with yellow solebar 25 was a regular consist for avgas trains in Scotland with 37 or 66 upfront.  So a good addition to the AB freight fleet.   

• Like 4

On 27/04/2021 at 21:58, Golden Fleece 30 said:

Hi Paddy,

That is a Fox 00 one I have had for quite a few years and had forgotten about it and found it while searching for 00/Dublo to sell.  A little overscale for TT but it will do and save my pennies for something else.

Garry 

Thanks Garry.  Sadly too big for N Gauge then I suspect.

Kind regards

Paddy

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2021 at 12:01, Silverfox17 said:

I know lots of people use acrylic but I don't, apart from the initial colour of a loco, after that it is always enamel.  Once the enamel is on you cannot put acrylic over the top as the enamel solvent acts as a stipper. Some say after a couple of days it is okay but I can say from experience over a year later it has still reacted so covering with acrylic is not an option to start with.

Hi

These have been painted with enamel and then sprayed with acrylic varnish. No reaction between the paints

image.png.6a65025c595031d2e753f0b9f46d24da.png

image.png.635bd34fc3654b550ed25bd2caaf1ee3.png

image.png.3531c357988d248fc3d4d184ccb8b7ff.png

image.png.59750acd8a9ff57b2f60080ef831b89f.png

Cheers

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

Paul,

Out of interest what brands were used ? 

cheers

Robert 

Hi Robert

Phoenix Precision and Humbrol enamels. Vallejo acrylic varnish.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having managed to fit the XT60 in the Black 5 and WD I thought about trying it in the K3. This is another Leonard Seeney body I bought a few years ago and did not think it possible at the time. Having drawn it out I made a mock up plastic chassis for test and have managed to achieve it, and without breaking through the sides. The real loco had wheels between the Jinty and Castle size of Tri-ang and I had thought of the larger ones but they did not look right so Jinty ones it will be again. This chassis is the same wheelbase as a Peppercorn K1 so who knows one day one of those may appear?????

Garry

K3.JPG

K3 plastic chassis.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

13 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Garry ,

The footplate lining is amazing, I have been "fretting" on how to do it.  the finish is lovely ex works or about to go a  railtour!  I will have to dig mine out again and get more done.

All the lining is from Fox transfers Robert. The single orange on the footplate is a pain to do but each strip cut in half instead of the full length. The green has a near gloss finish although not high gloss but I want to do the black a more satin/matt. 

Garry 

• Informative/Useful 1

A start has been made on Evening Star, yet another loco added to the long list of ongoing models.  As the chassis was designed for Jinty wheels the body is a little high now as I have fitted 15mm ones. A little thinking of how to lower it is in order as a mounting plate is holding it up at one end. Should not be much of a problem though.  I am 3 wheels short which is a bigger issue although if I have to I can file the flanges off a pair of wheels. I will also have to think about a double chimney and the possibility of getting some etches made for one when I have the next set of drawings ready as opposed to buying a casting.

Garry

Evening Star part 1.JPG

• Like 6

As I cannot get on with Evening Star (or others) at the moment I took the time to re-wheel the LNER Coronation coaches. These are done with an internal frame so the wheels just drop in. Some valances will be required soon now as they are runners.  The loco body is an untouched Atlas one that should really get a paint job and mounted on a Tri-ang Britannia chassis. The coaches are all Tri-ang with printed card overlays, a suburban coach used for the shorter buffet. I am not doing them articulated though, maybe one day when I run out of jobs.

Garry

LNER Coronation set.JPG

• Like 3

A Lincoln-locos AL1 having it's first test run.  It is powered by two Halling motor bogies although at the moment the whitemetal sideframes are not the correct ones.  The pantographs are also 3D printed but one day I may find a decent working one although there will not be any OLE on the layout.

Garry

AL1 on test.JPG

• Like 6

My Tri-ang Evening Star had a bit of a hic-cup.  3 of the 4 flanged wheels had too finer flange to run on Tri-ang track, plus 2 of those 3 were different diameters by about .25mm.   Now though Evening Star runs around Tri-ang track.  I found some old Romfords which are far better than the new ones and fitted them in place of the others. Then I found out the crank throw is different between old and new and found one pair of old flangeless wheels. Great, a good run with just old wheels on straight track, but, Romfords are different thickness to Tri-ang so it would not go around Tri-ang curves. The solution was to set the wheels as flangeless, flanged, flangeless, flanged, flangeless giving a short wheelbase which now goes around Tri-ang curves very nicely. The outer two pairs at the moment are for show as the crank throw is wrong as mentioned and can be seen in the photo, but will suffice until I get 4 more old Romfords to replace them. For those of you who know about drilling and tapping, putting a 1mm drill then 12ba tap into Mazak was not the easiest thing I have done and thankfully did 4 without breaking either drill or tap.  All 3 wheels are classed as 15mm.

Garry

Evening Star on the curve.JPG

3 different Romfords.JPG

• Like 5

Received the 08 chassis etch this lunch time and assembled it the chassis needs a good clean up then painting now that it works. Initially the odd crank wanted moving to get them quartered as best I could eyeing up the wheel and crank holes. Soldered in the crank pins and it ran nicely. Then I found I had them too far out from the body so it was a case of melting the solder and revolving one revolution but now no sighting hole so guess work, took two attempts but got it running again. Now, the crank pin inner protrusion was fouling the body so a little filing to smooth it out and she runs nicely again.

Garry

08 chassis working 2.JPG

08 Chassis working 1.JPG

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1