When TT3 was the next Big Thing

I really enjoy enjoy looking over this thread from time to time, the ingenuity and quality of your 3mm locos especially is admirable.^_^
Incidentally seeing earlier posts also reminded me I have a couple of XT60s and some K’s motors somewhere in my spares box which I should probably put on eBay if they are commanding any sort of money(if anyone is after one feel free to PM me;)).

Anyways particularly like the Z class but I enjoy seeing all models on this topic.:good_mini:

OliverSR

Edited by OliverSR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/06/2021 at 18:00, cypherman said:

Hi Garry,

I thought the TT and 00 motor were one and the same. They are being sold as that you know where.

Didn’t the original TT XT.60 motor have a single start worm, as was used in the Merchant Navy, and Britannia locos?

I’m sure I read this somewhere...

The OO gauge version was, I believe, the X.05, used in the two “Singles”, and had the same two start worm as used on the X.04 motors.

The OO turntable that uses this motor also uses the same gear wheel used on the driving axle of most steam locos. Not the Steeple Cab or motor bogies.

So the turntable worm must also be a two start worm, making the motor the X.05.

The later X.04 type motor powered turntable uses a special brass single start worm, and the same silver grey plastic gear wheel as the locos using the New Type (The part number being re used from a previous motor design.) X.03 motor. The New Type X.03 uses a black plastic single start worm.

I think that late issue “Singles” have the same black plastic worm, and use the silver grey gear wheel...these motors being the X.06.

11 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Silverfox,

Where do you get your replacement carbon brushes from for the XT60 motors. I think I need to buy some. i have had to modify some of the X04 brushes to fit.

I cannot get brushes, all I bought was a lot of the carbon cubes ready to solder to the original  brass arms. They came from eBay from a seller in Burnley. No idea if still available but used to sell heads on their own, heads and arms as (00), and also heads arms and a jig for assembling them if necessary. There were hundreds for sale at the time and you could buy in about 4 different quantities.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

It may be worth asking Peter’s Spares if they are likely to have some made....as they have the OO sized ones....

Hi Ruffnut,

I already asked them and they said no. They just have the X03 brushes. It is easy enough to modify them. Just a bit of a faff having to straighten them and then put new bends in the brass plates.

• Thanks 1

One of my Gem A4's has just had its first run and to complement it the Tourist stock was used. The tender for these had two main faults as a running loco, these being brittle plastic wheels that the axle ends easily broke off, and, due to the corridor gangway a Tri-ang coupling would not work properly. I made an internal chassis for metal wheels (yes I know they should be disc) and a coupling mount that repositioned the coupling about 1mm further away which now works well.

Garry

IMG20210617212916.jpg

IMG20210617160342.jpg

• Like 5

Slowly working my way through my locos and adding bits when I have it or have spare time as such (if there is such a thing). Today 60003 got her driving wheels tuned down, tender fitted with a chassis and handrails fitted. The Gem body being LNER only covered up the issue of the front bogie being wrong which is noticeable when the valances are removed. I am at the moment looking at repositioning the chassis. However, as it was made as LNER and the valances were cast as part of the body it was fitted to the continental chassis without valve gear, the Britannia chassis will not fit fitted with the plastic motion bracket so I will think about some of my own design one day.

IMG20210618185453.jpg

• Like 2

On 29/05/2021 at 20:24, Golden Fleece 30 said:

I have just bought a Jubilee which is a lovely scratchbuilt loco and tender. I think it is powered by an XT60 but not had the body off yet although it has been tested on Tri-ang small radius curves on which it runs nicely. The valve gear is stunning and even the motion bracket has a front and rear sandwiching the expansion link. Looking at its hand painted numbers, including the smokebox one, and lining along with its construction I have a feeling it is from the same builder as a few others I have obtained. I am torn between touching up and repainting but for now it will just be a touch up.

Garry

Jubilee 1.JPG

Jubilee 2.JPG

Jubilee 3.JPG

I do like these scratch-built locos. TT, for me always has an image of "TriAng" but these are really nice, show what can be achieved in the scale 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi all,

I suppose the only thing that may stop TT continuing will be the lack of spares, Especially motors and the spare carbon brushes which a few and far between. And getting more expensive as time passes.

3 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I suppose the only thing that may stop TT continuing will be the lack of spares, Especially motors and the spare carbon brushes which a few and far between. And getting more expensive as time passes.

When you mention motors, that can be true with a lot of 00 ones too. Mashima are no longer made so no spares for them, and, a lot of modern motors have to be thrown away when brushes are worn as they are not replaceable to start with. Who says Hornby or Bachmann will have a suitable motor as a stock item in 10 years time? As far as I know they might not stock any and certainly model shops don't have any.  The XT60 does crop up quite regularly and will do for some time.

When I was doing 00 about 6 years ago I had a new B1 which lost a crankpin screw, Hornby said they did not stock spare parts like that and with words to this effect, my best option was for someone who strips good locos to profiteer from spares, I disagree with that so never bothered.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

60008 is the same as 60003, a Gem kit on a continental chassis. To try to better the front end appearance I have modified the body mount moving the chassis forward a little, which also needed an extension to the pony truck.  Unfortunately she has a buffer missing which I might have to use one from another kit. I will have to one day start thinking of adding some extra valve gear.

IMG20210619214922.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all,

Silverfox does the chassis you have under the A4 Golden Eagle have full valve gear. If it does could you not swap it out for the chassis under A4 60003 or 60008 As the Golden Eagle has valances it would not be noticed if it is missing. Or am I being a bit behind the door here and you have already checked that...... :)

34 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Silverfox does the chassis you have under the A4 Golden Eagle have full valve gear. If it does could you not swap it out for the chassis under A4 60003 or 60008 As the Golden Eagle has valances it would not be noticed if it is missing. Or am I being a bit behind the door here and you have already checked that...... :)

I built all the A4's so can say none have full valve gear. The Gem kit was not designed to take the chassis with valve gear which is why it was sold with the continental one that only had a connecting rod.

• Like 2

Another 4F added to the loco stud. Slightly different black colour scheme but forgot to add my own etched footplate steps on which I can do later. Cabside numbers are from Railtec which are certainly far easier to use as they come as a made up number of your own choice, and can come in 3 different sizes in 3mm (8", 9", 10"), so no having to work out which sized 00 ones would be suitable. Very nicely priced too.

Garry

IMG_20210703_231025.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Silverfox17 said:

Another 4F added to the loco stud. Slightly different black colour scheme but forgot to add my own etched footplate steps on which I can do later. Cabside numbers are from Railtec which are certainly far easier to use as they come as a made up number of your own choice, and can come in 3 different sizes in 3mm (8", 9", 10"), so no having to work out which sized 00 ones would be suitable. Very nicely priced too.

Garry

IMG_20210703_231025.jpg

The 4F is very nice- what make is it please?  Is it a modern print, or an older white-metal kit?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ben B said:

The 4F is very nice- what make is it please?  Is it a modern print, or an older white-metal kit?

It is an old Bec whitemetal kit designed for the Tri-ang Jinty chassis. You can supposedly still get these from 3smr but I have been told they are quite poor with windows practically solid and nearly more flash than body work. If that is correct getting an old original is a good option.

Garry

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silverfox17 said:

It is an old Bec whitemetal kit designed for the Tri-ang Jinty chassis. You can supposedly still get these from 3smr but I have been told they are quite poor with windows practically solid and nearly more flash than body work. If that is correct getting an old original is a good option.

Garry

Cheers for that- I have a few odds and ends of Triang TT which I keep thinking about doing a micro layout for (inspired by the KWVR), and with a spare Jinty chassis to hand, a 4F would be perfect.  I'll have to keep an eye out for an older kit :)

• Like 2

On 17/06/2021 at 00:23, Silverfox17 said:

I cannot get brushes, all I bought was a lot of the carbon cubes ready to solder to the original  brass arms. They came from eBay from a seller in Burnley. No idea if still available but used to sell heads on their own, heads and arms as (00), and also heads arms and a jig for assembling them if necessary. There were hundreds for sale at the time and you could buy in about 4 different quantities.

Garry

If they are the seller I bought mine from (I forget the name and location - it was a while ago). they have given up saying it was too much faff to assemble. I wouldn't know with the jig, but they certainly were without. I've now run out and only have a few spare brushes left.

Edited by Il Grifone